• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow flap test?

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
The cat bumper is nice, but has anyone tested it to see if will bend upslowly or just snap off when you overdo a wheelie. It's nice to have a buffer zone so it don't tear your tunnel.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I can tell you from years of abusing the M's doing stupid wheelies trying to learn "re-entries" the cat bumper doesn't bend or break on an M. If you hit something with it the front end comes down. However... the whole tail light assy is another story:)

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
No Problem, just don't ask me to show you how to do a "re-entry" because I still haven't really figured it out...

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I ordered a IQ flap for my 2012 Pro. Hoping to keep some snow in there and cool it down bit. I run both the regular and cable scratchers when I have to be on a trail. I found the cable scratchers just don't bite good enough on harder packed snow.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
I dont know what you guys are paying for the iq flap??.. but for 50 bucks you can get a custom one from proven design products... Which has slightly better design.

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
I dont know what you guys are paying for the iq flap??.. but for 50 bucks you can get a custom one from proven design products... Which has slightly better design.

i looked real quick an dfound the iq flaps for $65 or so. i ordered one from pdp. went with the long one, if we ever get any snow out here on the east coast i will report how it goes.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
One of my buddies ordered the bumpers. I thought they were 162 bumpers, but I may be wrong. After cutting 7 1/2" off, they still touch the brackets on the tunnel by the end of the running boards and I even allowed an extra inch overhang at the rear. Hmmm, I wonder if you ended up with a Cat 153 bumper ?

Interesting. I know I asked for the Cat 162" bumper. Maybe they screwed up and gave me a 153"? Mine came about an inch or 2 from the brackets without cutting any off. I had some cracks starting on my 09 dragon tunnel so I put the cat bumper on and it has been great ever since. It REALLY stiffens up the back part of the tunnel. I understand if you stiffen something up it may just transfer the stress elsewhere, but after what happened to my 09 Dragon tunnel I'll go with the cat bumper and the strength. Plus, IMHO I don't know if I'd trust the carbon fiber bumper to tow out a sled...

S

sledfreak89

Apr 30, 2009
Milford, MI
Hey Guys.

Its great to hear our flap is working for you guys!

For those wondering what we did to the flap, we increased the attack angle 15° in order to allow the flap to direct more snow into the tunnel. A little trick with our flap is you can either mount it on the outside of the tunnel cap or on the inside. Mounting it on the outside like stock will put the angle out a little bit due to the little metal lip on the tunnel cap. Mounting our flap on the side keeps the flap on a flap surface and increases the attack angle of the flap even more to put more snow back into the tunnel.

Also guys, if anyone is thinking of ordering the long flap and wants it a certain length, we can cut it down for you before we print anything on them before hand, just shoot us an email before hand and we'll take care of ya!

-Matt

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
Hey Guys.

Its great to hear our flap is working for you guys!

For those wondering what we did to the flap, we increased the attack angle 15° in order to allow the flap to direct more snow into the tunnel. A little trick with our flap is you can either mount it on the outside of the tunnel cap or on the inside. Mounting it on the outside like stock will put the angle out a little bit due to the little metal lip on the tunnel cap. Mounting our flap on the side keeps the flap on a flap surface and increases the attack angle of the flap even more to put more snow back into the tunnel.

Also guys, if anyone is thinking of ordering the long flap and wants it a certain length, we can cut it down for you before we print anything on them before hand, just shoot us an email before hand and we'll take care of ya!

-Matt

i just ordered the long flap this week. so i can mount it on the inside of the tunnel?

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Awesome looking product sledfreak89! The "Pro RMK" in red looks hawt!

what is the length of the Pro flap in the long version?

I want to nip this cooling issues in the bud before I start riding and IMO you Pro flap looks 100% better than stock out of the gate.

Just gotta decide on long or regular

Last edited:
S

sledfreak89

Apr 30, 2009
Milford, MI
Thanks!! We put a lot of thought and time into these flaps.

Our Pro RMK Long flaps are 24" long, and 17.25" wide in the body of the flap.

-Matt

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
FWIW, I have the long on now, mounted on the outside, made some beveled spacers for it to float on the outside. Personal preference. You may end up cutting it, it will drag on hits, with a fox evol R in the rear skid. Very trimable. So far, so good.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I ended up adding a Proven Designs snow flap as well. Great product, great people to deal with and they'll do anything you want on your flap to make them different.

_DSC1131.jpg

Is that mounted on the inside of the tunnel?
It seems to hang "down" instead of angled out like Ive seen.

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
If you go with too long of a snow flap, will it get caught in the track when backing off a trailier? I have had to cut mine down on both my doos as well as my cat. Also, dont you want some snow evacuating out the back end and not balling up in the front of the drivers? You kinda need that happy medium or some type off snow flap prop once you are in the deeper snow.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
For those of you asking... this is the long flap from PDP mounted on the inside. I added the strap so it won't get sucked in the track in reverse. Wish it would snow so I could tell you what I run for temps...

Sled2.jpg

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
For those of you asking... this is the long flap from PDP mounted on the inside. I added the strap so it won't get sucked in the track in reverse. Wish it would snow so I could tell you what I run for temps...

Sled2.jpg

That looks good, but I would be concerned about backing off a deck or trailer, getting the flap under the track and breaking that bumper. Might not happen, and the principal is good.

Premium Features