• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow flap test?

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
So the taped flap really didn't contain more snow in the tunnel?

Ken it may have, hard to say. This was the first day I rode the PRO on hardpack with the scratchers down, so I'm not sure of the impact of taping over the flap holes. It should have helped some at least.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
i'll see if I can snag one later, rivits right into stock holes and the flap "slot" lines up perfect with the pro aluminium rear section, the mounting is a perfect fit on the pro chassis, looks great, just barely touches the stock pro bumper and curves out nice. Also available in black,red and grey..and if ur lucky dark blue and orange but they are quite rare.

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
the iq flap is curled isn't it? i think when they are rounded like that they help to keep snow in the tunnel. in 10 i had a doo 600rs, had a huge race flap on it but because it was just straight it did not keep any snow in, just let it all go by it. i think the long flap from proven is just goign to do the same thing. i think the iq flap works because of the design and curve.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Anyone have a quick pic of the IQ flap on the pro?
Thx.

6fcef14d.jpg
[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
Good snow flap test today. My buddy's '12 163 Pro with the ported flap and scratchers down was running up to 173* on the groomed trail into Allen Creek. My '12 163 Pro has an IQ snow flap. Same trail with scratchers down, my sled never went above 127*. When we got to the cabin, there was almost no snow in his tunnel, while mine had a 2" layer of slush inside the tunnel.

i think thats proof enough that the iq flap works.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup, Wa.
Yea, I just swapped out the snow flap on our 2011 Pro with the one on our 08 D8.

Doesn't get much easier, just four 3/16" long pop rivets, everything lines up perfectly.

Didn't even have to take off the rear bumper to do it.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I ended up adding a Proven Designs snow flap as well. Great product, great people to deal with and they'll do anything you want on your flap to make them different.

_DSC1131.jpg

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
I ended up adding a Proven Designs snow flap as well. Great product, great people to deal with and they'll do anything you want on your flap to make them different.

_DSC1131.jpg

i like thier flap, would like to hear how it works.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
the iq flap is curled isn't it? i think when they are rounded like that they help to keep snow in the tunnel. in 10 i had a doo 600rs, had a huge race flap on it but because it was just straight it did not keep any snow in, just let it all go by it. i think the long flap from proven is just goign to do the same thing. i think the iq flap works because of the design and curve.

Interesting! What is the length of the IQ flap? Part no.?

Thanks,

G

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
6fcef14d.jpg
[/IMG]

High Velocity,

Is that the 09+/- style cat 162" rear bumper? Can't tell from the photo? I put the cat 162" rear bumper on my 09 dragon to stiffen up the last couple feet of the tunnel and it worked great. Wanted to do the same thing to my PRO. I'm thinking the dragon flap and the cat 162" rear bumper on the PRO. Someday these manufacturer's might just get it all right. Until then it's a good thing we have a few manufacturer's to use their good ideas on one sled :)

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
dude, yes it is the 162 M-series bumper. I cut 7 1/2" off the bumper "arms". I didn't rivet it on. I installed four 1/4" rivet nuts on each side of the bumper and bolted it on from inside the tunnel.

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
looking at proven designs, they have a bend in it so it stays more vertical, that could help to keep some snow in the tunnel. anyone have one and can comment on the cooling it may provide?

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
dude, yes it is the 162 M-series bumper. I cut 7 1/2" off the bumper "arms". I didn't rivet it on. I installed four 1/4" rivet nuts on each side of the bumper and bolted it on from inside the tunnel.

Sorry, don't mean to hyjack the post. real quick...I just put the cat 162" rear bumper on my PRO. I went ahead and rivited it on. Why did you cut 7.5"s off the arms? I would think you would want it going as far down the tunnel as possible.

12-14ride.jpg

Last edited:
H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Sorry, don't mean to hyjack the post. real quick...I just put the cat 162" rear bumper on my PRO. I went ahead and rivited it on. Why did you cut 7.5"s off the arms? I would think you would want it going as far down the tunnel as possible.

12-14ride.jpg

One of my buddies ordered the bumpers. I thought they were 162 bumpers, but I may be wrong. After cutting 7 1/2" off, they still touch the brackets on the tunnel by the end of the running boards and I even allowed an extra inch overhang at the rear. Hmmm, I wonder if you ended up with a Cat 153 bumper ?

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
I have to pro rmk, running the standard pdp snow flap, all 6 bogie wheels and ice scracthers. never saw more then 125 on the freshly groomed trail last year. temp was pretty warm to. was around -5 celcius.

Premium Features