• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow flap test?

t stone

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Bend, Or.
Can someone tell me what the danger point on temp for these sleds. Mine stays at 125 most of the time but I can imagine in the spring or the trail it wont stay at that temp, even with the scratchers down. Thanks

Stone

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Can someone tell me what the danger point on temp for these sleds. Mine stays at 125 most of the time but I can imagine in the spring or the trail it wont stay at that temp, even with the scratchers down. Thanks

Stone

Troy I have hit 185 a time or two going too slow on hard pack ( I didn't have my scratchers down). The light didn't come on and it didn't go into the limp mode. I agree with you that in the spring on warmer days with crud snow even with the scratchers down, we may see some high temps. This is why I'm looking into the flap issue now, I don't want problems later. I'm also curious as to the temp limit.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV

Stone

Stone:

If you get near 190, you might want to shut her down. Happened to me a couple times last Spring messing around in the trees and also when getting up on the ridgetops when you can't haul *** and kick up any snow. Don't know at what temp it goes into limp mode. And yes, that's with the scratchers down. Early morning take offs in the Spring are a PITA until the snow softens up, then all is well. Just have to keep an eye on the temp gauge.

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
Went out ridding in West Yellowstone on thanksgiving.... First of al it was FUN... nice Weather!!!... But we had 1 2011 Pro Rmk 155 and 2 2011 RMK Assaults.. Between the heat ratios on these... hardpack with the scratchers down the 2011 Pro got up to 160.. The 2011 RMK assaults were at 135-140 Both verry consistant on the hardpack snow... Now im just brain storming but i think the assault track throws up more snow on the hardpack compared to the pro rmk powder track... Now we also had a 2012 Pro Rmk and a 2012 Assault... ON and OFF the hardpacked trails they both stayed at a consistant 125 degrees....With the scrachers down.... we ride with the scrachers down all the time.... but i think the 12 models have a little better cooling system on them... I also noticed a little more power and some more snappyness... Just my 0.02! Cheers!!!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Stone:

If you get near 190, you might want to shut her down. Happened to me a couple times last Spring messing around in the trees and also when getting up on the ridgetops when you can't haul *** and kick up any snow. Don't know at what temp it goes into limp mode. And yes, that's with the scratchers down. Early morning take offs in the Spring are a PITA until the snow softens up, then all is well. Just have to keep an eye on the temp gauge.

Is there a temp light? At what temp does it come on. Has anyone installed a aftermarket heat exchanger?

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
Mine hit 205 and the light didnt come on. Almost sheit my pants and hit the fluff as soon as I could. Put the scratchers down and the temps dropped about 30 degrees.

C
Mar 2, 2011
Saskatchewan
Proper running temp?

What is the PRoper runnning temp on the pro? first ride of the season 2 weeks ago now in minmal snow in saskatchewan, the highest i hit was about 130 deg lowest being 120 ish?
Anyone know?

Sled is a 12' 800 Pro is that makes any difference compared to 11

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
Chucked the stocl flap and put a regular 09 dragon flap on it..works well. After riding with my friend and his 2011 rmk I really wish polaris would have put the front cooler on the pro as well..his stayed at 115-120 no matter what

I wonder if by deleting the cooler on the Pro, Polaris was trying to free up space and gain some track speed?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I wonder if by deleting the cooler on the Pro, Polaris was trying to free up space and gain some track speed?

Simply weight. Same reason they reduced the size of the tunnel coolers. They were trying to meet a benchmark for the sled, and it worked. If ridden in good snow, or higher speed with scratchers, not an issue. It's when the conditions get sketchy, dry fluff, can't get enough speed that temps go up, quickly. JMPE.

D
Jan 27, 2008
Simply weight. Same reason they reduced the size of the tunnel coolers. They were trying to meet a benchmark for the sled, and it worked. If ridden in good snow, or higher speed with scratchers, not an issue. It's when the conditions get sketchy, dry fluff, can't get enough speed that temps go up, quickly. JMPE.

I live in Jellystone. My 11 is tough to get below 150 in good snow, like we had all last yr. I had the engine "slow" due to heat before I kept the guage on. Just got it back from the dealer and he said the temps are normal?

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I live in Jellystone. My 11 is tough to get below 150 in good snow, like we had all last yr. I had the engine "slow" due to heat before I kept the guage on. Just got it back from the dealer and he said the temps are normal?

My 12 PRO 800 runs 127 to 131 in good snow at normal speeds. On hard pack (like last weekend) with the scratchers down and duck tape over my flap holes, I ran around 135, at normal speeds. If you slow down on hard snow the temp will quickly get to 150 or higher if you stay slow.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Good snow flap test today. My buddy's '12 163 Pro with the ported flap and scratchers down was running up to 173* on the groomed trail into Allen Creek. My '12 163 Pro has an IQ snow flap. Same trail with scratchers down, my sled never went above 127*. When we got to the cabin, there was almost no snow in his tunnel, while mine had a 2" layer of slush inside the tunnel.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Good snow flap test today. My buddy's '12 163 Pro with the ported flap and scratchers down was running up to 173* on the groomed trail into Allen Creek. My '12 163 Pro has an IQ snow flap. Same trail with scratchers down, my sled never went above 127*. When we got to the cabin, there was almost no snow in his tunnel, while mine had a 2" layer of slush inside the tunnel.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

yeah, same thing I found out...if ya ride questionable snow a lot just do 2 things, put a iq flap on it and run the extra bogie wheels (just for hyfax wear)

Premium Features