• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 SLP pipe install questions

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Should I replace the exhaust gasket between the y pipe and cylinder?

How does one go about removing the stock y pipe studs?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

P

Pilsner

Dec 1, 2007
Use some high temp silicone on the orig gasket, both sides and reuse.

Double nut the studs to remove. Meaning put 2 nuts on the stud and tighten together, then back the stud out by turning the bottom nut with a wrench.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
or you can use a vice grip to turn them out, which wrecks them but that doesnt really matter. And when you are putting the allen head bolts in to install the slp y pipe, you will have to shorten up the end of an allen wrench to get to the bottom inside bolts.

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
I would double nut them its the easiest make sure ti put some clean clths or something in the holes so nothing gets in, that would be my fear with vice grips the studs arent super tight but if you chew the **** out of them with vice grips you are going to have a hell of a time, double nut them or use a stud remover. also you are going to have to pick up some non flared nuts to double nut them should be at any hardware store.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Why replace the studs with Allen bolts? It would be a lot cleaner look for sure, but is there a reason SLP does this? Seems like a lot of dick'n around for nothing??

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Ya it does look a lot cleaner, take your time the bolts should thead in most of of the way easy with your fingers keep them a bit lose so the y pipe and gasket can move a bit till all bolts are in, and use a fairly fine bead of copper gasket sealant. Also heat tape everything that looks like it may melt including hood.

pipe pics 002.jpg

Last edited:
T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Lower inner Bolts

Anyone run without the lower middle two Y pipe bolts? Will this cause any problems? I cant seem to find any way to get those bolts in.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Anyone run without the lower middle two Y pipe bolts? Will this cause any problems? I cant seem to find any way to get those bolts in.

I bought a set of long ball end allens, like 6" long and cut the bend off the #6. I just use a #6 socket and ratchet to turn it. Works great.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I use the socket style. Bought them from Matco

I looked for those but they were hard to find at 8 pm on a friday night. Was riding the next morning so L shaped allens at Lowes was the best I could do. If you can't find the long ball end allens then the short ball end allens and a 6" extention on your ratchet works great. They're only about 4 bucks too so you don't feel to bad cutting one.

Last edited:
K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Here's what i come up with works good for me its about a 4" i could'nt seem to get anything else to work not even a 1/4" hex set and i only use it on those two bolts the rest are torque'd, i had to bend it so it goes between the y pipe and the bolts have to be turned in most of the way by hand .

DSC00339.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features