• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Mountain Cat Clutching Advice

B
Mar 8, 2013
Benicia, CA
I've got a 2017 Mountain Cat that is stock except for a lightweight can and powder pro skis. I have about 2500 miles on it now and as far as I know, the clutching is all stock and original. Belt has about 1000 miles on it and still looks good. When I check the Max RPM on the gauge periodically, it's generally somewhere in the 8200 or 8300, but the last time I rode in spring conditions, it was all the way at 8760. The sled feels like it runs great and the engagement feels smooth and responsive. I generally ride between 7000 and 9000 feet.

Based on what I've read, I'm probably due to replace the primary spring. I haven't noticed any decline in performance, but thinking it might be good to do as preventative maintenance. I don't see a reason to go to a different spring rate. I'm thinking I'll replace with an aftermarket spring because they're about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of OEM cat springs.

Based on the RPMs I'm running, I wonder if I should go to heavier weights too. Even though the sled feels great, I'm wondering if I'm leaving some performance on the table. Should I be looking into adjustable weights to bringing down the RPMs? It looks like Cutler, Dalton, and the SLP Magnum Force weights are the easiest to adjust and can be done without taking the clutch cover and spring off. That seems appealing to me. Does anyone have any recommendations between these 3? If I change weights, do I need to get the clutch balanced too?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Could just be spring riding heat. Hot belt with that many miles could be narrowed up and greased up instead of gripping.

R
I would start by giving your cluches a good cleaning then you can see if anything is worn out, broken or stretched.
I have tried SLP weights, and personally I wouldn't go near them again. Everyone has their own preference. IF you want simplicity, go to Dalton adjustables..
I have never had any luck with magnets. One thing I have found about Daltons though, is that they don't hit hard, they re smooth. So if you want that kick in the pants, I would suggest something some aggressive...depends what you want..

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I been happy with cutlers adjustable weights, stock profile because like you say they run great as is. easy to adjust for changing conditions. heavy hitter weights are fun in meadows. If you get more aggressive weights, do a shallower helix so it doesn't drop rpm on big climbs.
I also added glide washers from thunder products and Ti cover bolts from ZRP and haven't bothered with a new spring at 3,000 miles running strong.

R
You have a '17 M8000?????? Which is the last year for the Suzuki 800...should be 8100, varying 50 either side of that..
The Cutlers and the Daltons are the same profile weights for that motor...should be..

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
AC calls for 8100 to 8200 for rpm. I would goes through your clutches as everyone else had said but I would not worry about the 8760 unless it becomes consistent. That is the number you see on the max setting that could be a one time thing, caught some air, track jump etc. Get the sled on a good pull where you can have a look at the tach and see what it's doing. Normally if you have clutch issues you start to lose rpm not gain. A wet or slipping belt will cause it to spike RPM for sure. If you have never worked on clutches before having someone that can show you is a good start if not Country Cat does offer AC service manuals on line for free another great source. With that many miles you may have some worn parts knowing what your looking for is important. Good luck

J
Jul 21, 2022
USA
I've got a 2017 Mountain Cat that is stock except for a lightweight can and powder pro skis. I have about 2500 miles on it 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 now and as far as I know, the clutching is all stock and original. Belt has about 1000 miles on it and still looks good. When I check the Max RPM on the gauge periodically, it's generally somewhere in the 8200 or 8300, but the last time I rode in spring conditions, it was all the way at 8760. The sled feels like it runs great and the engagement feels smooth and responsive. I generally ride between 7000 and 9000 feet.

Based on what I've read, I'm probably due to replace the primary spring. I haven't noticed any decline in performance, but thinking it might be good to do as preventative maintenance. I don't see a reason to go to a different spring rate. I'm thinking I'll replace with an aftermarket spring because they're about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of OEM cat springs.

Based on the RPMs I'm running, I wonder if I should go to heavier weights too. Even though the sled feels great, I'm wondering if I'm leaving some performance on the table. Should I be looking into adjustable weights to bringing down the RPMs? It looks like Cutler, Dalton, and the SLP Magnum Force weights are the easiest to adjust and can be done without taking the clutch cover and spring off. That seems appealing to me. Does anyone have any recommendations between these 3? If I change weights, do I need to get the clutch balanced too?
it depends on what you really need out of the sled

Premium Features