• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Leaking Brake Master Cylinder Cover - 22 Matryx

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
TLDR - Has anyone delt with a leaking brake master cylinder cover after filling the reservoir? If so is there something special about the gasket/cover I might be over looking?

Long Version: When installing my 3d Logic brake lever I removed the pin and original brake lever like normal. When I did so the piston popped straight out of the brake assembly and spilled a bunch of brake fluid. I was able to re-insert it and it sealed up just fine. Brakes work like normal. However I lost enough brake fluid in the process I needed to top off the reservoir. I topped it off (per spec) and inspected everything and it all looks good. However, It now has a slow leak I believe from the cover. That is the only place I can observe fresh brake fluid emerging from. I've tried to remove and reseat the cover probably 10 times. Still has a constant slow seeping leak. And before anyone asks...yes the gasket is installed the correct way. I've inspected all parts and can't see any damage or flaws. My question is, are these reservoir cover/gaskets single use or just garbage? Is there a flaw or a trick to this I'm missing? Has anyone run across this and have an easy fix?

I did ended up ordering a new gasket and cover ($100! for a piece of plastic and rubber...thanks for nothing Polaris) and am hoping this fixes it but we'll see. If not I'll be buying a whole new reservoir for another $80..

T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
Had a similar thing happen when installing a reservoir cover. Slow leak. I must of took that cover apart 30 times trying to get it to stop. Ended up just ordering the over priced cover and gasket. That solved the issue for me. Gaskets are garbage and likely a one time use deal.

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
Had a similar thing happen when installing a reservoir cover. Slow leak. I must of took that cover apart 30 times trying to get it to stop. Ended up just ordering the over priced cover and gasket. That solved the issue for me. Gaskets are garbage and likely a one time use deal.
God Damn it, that's what I was afraid of. Unbelievable one can't buy just the rubber gasket. $100 for the part and you can buy the entire master cylinder assembly for $290. SMH....

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
TLDR - Has anyone delt with a leaking brake master cylinder cover after filling the reservoir? If so is there something special about the gasket/cover I might be over looking?

Long Version: When installing my 3d Logic brake lever I removed the pin and original brake lever like normal. When I did so the piston popped straight out of the brake assembly and spilled a bunch of brake fluid. I was able to re-insert it and it sealed up just fine. Brakes work like normal. However I lost enough brake fluid in the process I needed to top off the reservoir. I topped it off (per spec) and inspected everything and it all looks good. However, It now has a slow leak I believe from the cover. That is the only place I can observe fresh brake fluid emerging from. I've tried to remove and reseat the cover probably 10 times. Still has a constant slow seeping leak. And before anyone asks...yes the gasket is installed the correct way. I've inspected all parts and can't see any damage or flaws. My question is, are these reservoir cover/gaskets single use or just garbage? Is there a flaw or a trick to this I'm missing? Has anyone run across this and have an easy fix?

I did ended up ordering a new gasket and cover ($100! for a piece of plastic and rubber...thanks for nothing Polaris) and am hoping this fixes it but we'll see. If not I'll be buying a whole new reservoir for another $80..
It’s really weird because I had the same issue when putting my 3-D logic lever on. I don’t know why piston pops out and it leaks fluid all over but when I put mine all back together, I did have to add fluid and it doesn’t leak.

T
Oct 16, 2017
Glad I’m not alone. Literally dealing with the same issue. Ordered new cover and gasket. Didn’t work. Have reset it multiple times, removed fluid, etc - still seeps from the cover when pulling the lever. What the absolute hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
So I think I have it fixed. $32 for the Hayes reservoir rebuild kit vs $99 from Polaris for just the cap and gasket. The last picture shows the original gasket vs new. I believe there was a flaw with the original gasket (last picture: you can see extra material on the right side buy the 2 screw holes) top is original bottom is new.... or it was just crushed over time. Sled was a 22 holdover. Anyway, hope this was it. Will check in the morning to see if any leaks remain.20231211_184112.jpg20231211_185144.jpg20231211_185901.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So I think I have it fixed. $32 for the Hayes reservoir rebuild kit vs $99 from Polaris for just the cap and gasket. The last picture shows the original gasket vs new. I believe there was a flaw with the original gasket (last picture: you can see extra material on the right side buy the 2 screw holes) top is original bottom is new.... or it was just crushed over time. Sled was a 22 holdover. Anyway, hope this was it. Will check in the morning to see if any leaks remain.View attachment 412632View attachment 412633View attachment 412634

It’s worth ordering the aluminum 3D logik lever end now so you have it when that composite one snaps off. (I’ve seen 2 break when breathed upon)

F
Dec 30, 2019
Well good thing it comes with a spare. Lol.

You’ll definitely need more spares. Those plastic ones snap off WAY too easily. I finally just went with the aluminum replacement:

7e87bc28475199ca37933c66c6300be8.jpg

f80bf28127e541df24c1dbe16c598327.jpg

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
You’ll definitely need more spares. Those plastic ones snap off WAY too easily. I finally just went with the aluminum replacement:

7e87bc28475199ca37933c66c6300be8.jpg

f80bf28127e541df24c1dbe16c598327.jpg

Just like those Ski Doo bulk heads cracked way too easy when you smashed into boulders at 30 mph!

F
Dec 30, 2019
I have yet to break one and I break everything

Maybe I got a couple from a bad batch. I broke 2. Both in the same way. Rolling the sled over on a hillside from a stuck. Both times was in deep soft BC powder. The same way I’ve rolled the sled over hundreds of times and never broke a lever until 3D Logik. I’m sure this short aluminum one will be fine.

Premium Features