• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Brake stop ride, What is the real issue

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
Does anyone know the real reason for the brake stop ride? Is it one of the following or is it something else?
- snow/ice buildup behind lever causing the brakes to drag?
- clearances on affected brake levers to tight causing brakes to drag?
- caliber issues not fully releasing the brakes?
- master cylinder clearance issues not allowing full release of brake line pressure?
- Incorrect brake fluid levels causing the brakes to drag?
- park brakes being left on (I have a hard time believing this can happen since it’s very difficult to apply the brakes hard enough to latch the park brake)
- customers installing aftermarket brake levers that cause the brakes to drag then installing the stock ones back on for warranty?
- riding styles with a finger on the brake applying slight pressure causing the brakes to drag?

Someone must have gotten an explanation.

P
Dec 15, 2018
On another thread a builder said the mc plunger was long and in concert with the lever engaged the mc? They are clearancing the lever as a solution until Polaris has a solution?

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Last season We noticed All of our Matryx rmk’s had very limited brake lever travel.
Makes for a lack of feel and obviously brake heat and wear. As identified in other discussions if you “ride” the brake, it will promote excess heat so likely the primary cause for the issues.
Some guys removed volume from master cylinder, others changed out or machined down the stock lever.
I would suspect this Should be a fairly easy solution to this stop ride…..????

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
The all new matryx lever! Game changer!

Minor issue IMO. Won't stop me from riding the 22 while I wait for the 23 to show.

208_RMK

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
Idaho
I’m curious to see what comes of this. I heard RMSHA racers go through brakes like crazy, and have been for some time - probably due to finger on the brake riding style and riding the brake? They also get like 5-10min run time on a sled per event, dosent seem like a lot especially compared to an afternoon of tree riding.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I’m curious to see what comes of this. I heard RMSHA racers go through brakes like crazy, and have been for some time - probably due to finger on the brake riding style and riding the brake? They also get like 5-10min run time on a sled per event, dosent seem like a lot especially compared to an afternoon of tree riding.
Those RMSHA riders aren't just racing up the hill with a finger on the brake. They are riding the brake hard while still being into the throttle when working their way up the course. Fractions of a second are a big deal to them and burning brakes to keep rpms up and being fast out of the turns are the cost of winning.

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
Take this with some salt, I am going to take my slash over to my friends place and get some comparisons done as her sled is barely out of break in and the brake is dragging apparently. Disc I guess was very hot and it was just from riding around their 1 acre field a bit not using the brakes. Fluid level seemed fine from what I was told, but cannot confirm. I have 550 miles on mine and haven't noticed anything wrong, but then again I never bothered to look at the brakes after riding until now. I haven't rode it at all yet this year so I don't know if mine is affected too.

T
Dec 15, 2020
WA
Well my pads are super tight also, not sure if it's normal to have less than 0.03mm of clearance between the pad and rotor but my smallest feeler gauge wouldn't fit..

Premium Features