• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cleaning exhaust valves

S
Mar 30, 2022
Quebec Canada
Hello everyone out there, hope everyone is as excited as I am to get out on their sleds and start rip'n up the powder as I am.
But before I am able to get out there I am asking for some help from anyone who knows more about working on and performing the work on there sleds than I do. The beginning of last winter I purchased a 2020 Polaris XCR 800 from a lady who had purchased I it brand new. I asked her and her husband what or if they had any service done to the machine before and after the season had started and finished. Which they replied no, because she barely used it. It only had 1500 kilometres not miles because I live in Canada that is the setting it was in. So last week I was doing some routine maintenance to it, and decided that I should be cleaning the exhaust valves. So after a bit of a struggle to remove them from the block I cleaned them up really good put new rubber gaskets on them and reinstalled them. Now my issue is that I had to losen the cable in 2 different locations in order to get the assembly out of the block. The big jam nut that sits in front of the I am assuming some sort of valve that is attached to the body of the sled and the nut on the outside of the assembly that moves the valves in and out of the assembly that I am assuming is in sync with the throttle assembly. I asked at the dealer when purchasing the gasket how to go about the removal and the mechanic said to not touch the cable assembly because I would mess up the synchronizing of the valves and would be a big problem if it wasn't put back the way it was before taking it apart. But I had no choice but to losen these nuts in order for me to remove the assembly. Now that I have everything back together I am afraid to try starting it up due to the fact that on a 600 RMK I used to own I had never cleaned the exhaust valves and it was very clear after taking apart the motor exactly why the piston failed. You could see on the end of the valve were it hit the top of the piston because there was a piece missing on it and the top of the piston was damaged right where the exhaust port is. So I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any thoughts, opinions or suggestions on what I can do or should do about this.. Before I try starting it up only to have it blow up on me haha. Like I said I am not a professional engine mechanic, I am learning as I go so again I thank you for any help I can get

D
Nov 3, 2019
www.banditsolutions.ca
You will be fine. The cable nut and the slide nut both get bottomed out. Cleaning is not an issue. And most times even cable replacement is not an issue. I have replaced a few cables on mine and others Axys with no issues. Sometimes, if the cable is a little different length, the ECM needs a relearn. This is a very easy procedure at the dealer. Takes less than 5 min.

S
Mar 30, 2022
Quebec Canada
Ok thank you kindly for your help, greatly appreciated. I hope you have a great season.
You will be fine. The cable nut and the slide nut both get bottomed out. Cleaning is not an issue. And most times even cable replacement is not an issue. I have replaced a few cables on mine and others Axys with no issues. Sometimes, if the cable is a little different length, the ECM needs a relearn. This is a very easy procedure at the dealer. Takes less than 5 min

M
Jan 8, 2022
Sanford MI
Feb 2023 I hit the gas after coming out of a corner and my '18 800 Axys, would only do about 40 mph-rode easy 50+ miles back to the truck assuming I had stuck exhaust valves,I did not! The actuating cable had broke. Replace cable, guide plate gaskets etc cleaned, and put lock nuts in same place as old cable-RUNS GREAT! Sled had 7200 miles on it when this happened We(friends) believe crimp on cable was too tight or misaligned.

A@ron

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2017
Wisconsin
Feb 2023 I hit the gas after coming out of a corner and my '18 800 Axys, would only do about 40 mph-rode easy 50+ miles back to the truck assuming I had stuck exhaust valves,I did not! The actuating cable had broke. Replace cable, guide plate gaskets etc cleaned, and put lock nuts in same place as old cable-RUNS GREAT! Sled had 7200 miles on it when this happened We(friends) believe crimp on cable was too tight or misaligned.

Impressive mileage 👍

Premium Features