• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 800 and a 2018 800 stall out at 7600 rpm.. exhaust valve relearn issue

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
I know this has been discussed many times over with the Relearn issues but thought I would share my issues to help others not fight it!

started out my buddy bought a 2018 used demo sled with 417 miles on it. I did a service and put a SLP pipe and can and clutching in it the first ride out the sled would not go over 7600 rpm so i jumped on it and took off up a draw and it was 8200 after i got to the top hit the throttle again 6500 is all I could go. took it home and put it in the shop and started looking at everything. we swapped out the fuel pump and fuel injectors just as a try and the sled fired up ran for 30 seconds died and would not restart. I pulled my spare ECM out and the sled fired up and ran fine. He went with me on a sled recovery for a friend and the sled ran fine but the voltage war 9.5. story behind this sled it had several Codes and a dealer replaced the regulator, ECM, Knock and map sensor and they did a relearn. we brought it back in swapped out the stator and regulator again and everything was fine till last week we went mid week and the sled was back to 6500 rpm. again back in the shop swapped out all the resistors, circuit breakers, converter and capacitors keep in mind i did all the same to my daughters 17 at the same time because hers would not relearn the valves also and has failed to do so all year with swapping parts around i also pulled tore the valves apart and found the bushings in the plate were pitted and the seals are were leaking. found out the dealers do not sell a kit for the 800 but you can get them for a 850. I took them to the local bearing shop and got the bushings and seals replaced them and the cabled in both sleds. my sons 16 will earn and my 850 would learn but not these two. my buddy bought a EZ LYNK which Bluetooths to you phone to do the relearn and check codes. moving on to this last weekend another friend had a 18 harness so i put it in the 18 and reinstalled the original new ecm the dealership replaced previously and BAM it did a relearn so to make it a longer story that sled is now fixed. so if you are fighting this issue you can find another harness and hook it and try it I bet you will find the harness is the main culprit. I have since bought a used harness and ecm and EGT off a 18 for my daughters sled and got the port bung from slp to weld into my 17 pipe we will see it it relearns tonight.

with all this I did check compression on both and the 18 was 125 and the 17 was 110 so I put a complete new rebuilt motor in the 17 due to it having 2000ish hard miles on it before giving the sled to my daughter when I got my 850.

I will post up the bushing and seal part numbers i got so you don't have to buy the whole base plate for the valves and i have attached the pics of the bushings and the EZ LYNK

hope this helps!!

Keep QUACKIN!!

IMG_1935.PNG IMG_1902.jpg IMG_1901.jpg IMG_1900.jpg

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
One of the FYIs from Indy Specialty goes something like "Please be gentle with your wiring harness. It's made by the lowest bidder and is prone to internal breakage when flexed excessively or repeatedly - especially when cold." Just another thing to cause random and difficult to diagnose issues on these sleds as they age... Almost tempts you to build a new harness with quality wire and connectors, but what a PITA that would be, unless you do it for a living.

Premium Features