• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lynx/300LX track on matryx

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Thought I'd start a new thread since I have a few miles on my 300LX track on my boost now. Ive heard the complaints of the track vibration with this track. Some say the lynx/300lx track windows are smaller causing the extrovert drivers to rub inside the window causing the vibration. My series 8 window measures 38mm wide and the lynx 27mm wide, so I could see that as a problem for some if the Polaris drivers aren't exactly centered in the lynx window. Mine seem to be centered pretty well with a small gap on each side of the driver extrovert in the smaller lynx window. In the first couple rides I had zero vibration, warmer days with pretty deep snow. Really loved the track over the series 8 on the boost. The 3" Lynx with the 23' tune on my 22' boost was way better than I was expecting! Two days ago rode in the afternoon on a very cold, sunny day. Probably lower single digits in pretty good powder. A couple hours into the ride started noticing the track vibration, especially when you'd get on it hard for longer, WOT pulls. After looking everything over we noticed my front heat exchanger was completely iced up. Like a good 1/2 inch coating of solid ice covering the whole thing and the 3" lugs would touch it. With the amount of snow that track moves through the tunnel and zero outlet space up front, we were pretty sure that's where my vibration was coming from. Sounded like a playing card stuck in your bicycle spokes, different than track ratcheting. Let the sled sit and idle until it got to 150 degrees and then shut it off hoping that would help melt the ice off. Had to spend some time chipping at it it get a good share of it out. Once the Ice was gone, no more vibration. Ill add a few pics of the ice situation and the space with the matryx dried out. I measured the front lug to cooler distance on my 23' G3 3" and my 22' boost 3". The G5 almost has double the clearance the matryx does with a 3' track.

IMG_9702.jpg IMG_9701.jpg IMG_3993.jpg IMG_9680.jpg IMG_9676.jpg

Last edited:
C
Dec 14, 2020
I've had the same thing happen with other tracks and other sleds when it's cold. Seems there's a magic temp where everything ices up.

My spring puller made a great ice scratcher to reach in and break it up. (Yes, I carry a 12" slp spring puller in my tunnel bag for pulling pipes and cans on the mountain. It also worked for fishing my bluepoint flashlight out from under the motor last weekend...)

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I had this same issue with my g4 Doo. At about 10 degrees or less it’d ice up and vibrate like crazy. The snowies are often this cold so it happened a lot.

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
So what would you go with. Lynx 3" or Cats powder claw 3". Anyone have the total cost to get it to a 3" in the tracks.
Thanks

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Thought I'd start a new thread since I have a few miles on my 300LX track on my boost now. Ive heard the complaints of the track vibration with this track. Some say the lynx/300lx track windows are smaller causing the extrovert drivers to rub inside the window causing the vibration. My series 8 window measures 38mm wide and the lynx 27mm wide, so I could see that as a problem for some if the Polaris drivers aren't exactly centered in the lynx window. Mine seem to be centered pretty well with a small gap on each side of the driver extrovert in the smaller lynx window. In the first couple rides I had zero vibration, warmer days with pretty deep snow. Really loved the track over the series 8 on the boost. The 3" Lynx with the 23' tune on my 22' boost was way better than I was expecting! Two days ago rode in the afternoon on a very cold, sunny day. Probably lower single digits in pretty good powder. A couple hours into the ride started noticing the track vibration, especially when you'd get on it hard for longer, WOT pulls. After looking everything over we noticed my front heat exchanger was completely iced up. Like a good 1/2 inch coating of solid ice covering the whole thing and the 3" lugs would touch it. With the amount of snow that track moves through the tunnel and zero outlet space up front, we were pretty sure that's where my vibration was coming from. Sounded like a playing card stuck in your bicycle spokes, different than track ratcheting. Let the sled sit and idle until it got to 150 degrees and then shut it off hoping that would help melt the ice off. Had to spend some time chipping at it it get a good share of it out. Once the Ice was gone, no more vibration. Ill add a few pics of the ice situation and the space with the matryx dried out. I measured the front lug to cooler distance on my 23' G3 3" and my 22' boost 3". The G5 almost has double the clearance the matryx does with a 3' track.
I'm likely one of the 300LX owners this was directed at, ice build up is not my issue, it vibrates immediately out of a heated shop. Still working on figuring out if its a track or clutch issue. Vibation is definitely coming from the clutches... but I think the track and/or drivers MAY be causing it. I'll report back when I get it figured out.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
So what would you go with. Lynx 3" or Cats powder claw 3". Anyone have the total cost to get it to a 3" in the tracks.
Thanks
165 300LX trimmed down by Tracks USA is $1275. Can use factory drivers if you have the series 8.

163 Powerclaw is on sale for $999 at Country Cat right now. $320 for Avid drivers.

Cost definitely depends on what track and driver combo you have from the factory.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I just put one on. I have two rides on it. I took a grinder to the factory drivers and rolled the corners/edges lightly and took the sides width in slightly. Maybe an 1/8" tops off of driver width. I do have a very minor vibration at slow speeds on firm packed trails. When at high RPM or in good snow I do not feel any vibration.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Got some odd wear on the outside of the lugs. I don’t see anywhere that it’s even possible for it to rub.

F3CB7629-87E5-4C7E-ADB4-9CEC8E6AB1F7.jpeg E2755E51-78E5-4638-9F15-5DFA0686CD92.jpeg C275AB25-7196-491F-A630-476010554AAA.jpeg

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
First thing coming to my mind is ice build up in the tunnel?

And the side sorta looks like a rivet rub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Maybe just got a track made on a Monday, is it on both sides, or just one. I think I'm going to go with the powder claw 3" track. Just because people have been using them on rmk for a while know.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have 3 rides on mine with no issues at all. The track vibrates horribly. Sled sounds like a helicopter now on any kind of snow. I had to drop 2 grams on the weights to make RPM and I still see a couple mph less on the track speed. However, the sled flies out of the snow now. Bow ties and hop-overs are much easier and I love the track. Much better than the crap 2.75. I think it is an upgrade for sure.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I have 3 rides on mine with no issues at all. The track vibrates horribly. Sled sounds like a helicopter now on any kind of snow. I had to drop 2 grams on the weights to make RPM and I still see a couple mph less on the track speed. However, the sled flies out of the snow now. Bow ties and hop-overs are much easier and I love the track. Much better than the crap 2.75. I think it is an upgrade for sure.

Have you used or had a Cat PC 3”?
Wondering if the vibration compares if you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features