• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

9R Khaos melted a quick drive belt

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Seems like we e seen a lot more QD2 belt problems. This is because it sits so close to the belly pan (much large bottom gear) and a lot easier to get something stuck between the belt and belly pan. People need to stay inspecting for foreign objects under the bottom gear before every ride and inspect for missing exhaust spring since they seem to be the main culprit. A spare QD belt fits very nicely around the stock belt in the belt holder.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Seems like we e seen a lot more QD2 belt problems. This is because it sits so close to the belly pan (much large bottom gear) and a lot easier to get something stuck between the belt and belly pan. People need to stay inspecting for foreign objects under the bottom gear before every ride and inspect for missing exhaust spring since they seem to be the main culprit. A spare QD belt fits very nicely around the stock belt in the belt holder.
Seems like it sits close to the pipe in that spot. You are obviously having no issues tho.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The “belt melt?” mystery is solved. Pulley too close to belly pan and foreign object debris(FOD) gets stuck between pan and pulley, rubbing on the belt. Causing a belt catastrophe and one snowest forum genius keeps his spare belt in the truck.

C
Dec 14, 2020
The “belt melt?” mystery is solved. Pulley too close to belly pan and foreign object debris(FOD) gets stuck between pan and pulley, rubbing on the belt. Causing a belt catastrophe and one snowest forum genius keeps his spare belt in the truck.

Gotta love the "spares are in the truck" guys. I can see keeping shocks, a-arms, big bulky things in the truck.

But my buddy did go riding without a spare drive belt last weekend and broke his brand new one in 20 minutes because the deflection was way too tight and it got hot. He was riding the "we're all on the same sled" parts budget.

He also leaves his tki belt in the trailer, and when I asked he said "that's why I bought my kid a sled!" To be fair, the turbo makes it such a pain it's usually time to tow it to the trailer and get some heat and lights going.

Cleary

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2021
PNW
Sled came back from service today. When the tech disassembled the quick drive he discovered a bolt had gotten lodged causing the belt failure. Warrantied and he's on his way.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Rusty you jumped on my bandwagon because you know that I am the true Forum Expert. I was the first to say that that belt was not melted and was shredded. I do commend you though for finally realizing that I am not only a much better rider than you, but I am also smarter than you so that you agreed with my forum expert advice on what really happened here. ?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Rusty you jumped on my bandwagon because you know that I am the true Forum Expert. I was the first to say that that belt was not melted and was shredded. I do commend you though for finally realizing that I am not only a much better rider than you, but I am also smarter than you so that you agreed with my forum expert advice on what really happened here. ?

Or maybe it’s my empathy for you??

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I’ve seen this issue pop up in the forum. Is this a common thing to ride with a a finger on the brake at all times or… ? Riding style or like a bad safety habit type of thing?
It's actually a comfortable, natural feel on both , The Matryx and Alpha brake lever/handle bar setup.
Not so much, on any other sled.
Having that quick access/ reaction time instills confidence in the techy terrain.

Without a real-time scientific test, we(I) can only assume that forcing the belt to down shift via overloading the CVT with manual brake pressure creates more clutch and belt heat vs. chopping the throttle .

It is absolutely, without a doubt, excessive demand on the brake system as a whole.
Full throttle and a hand full of brake for anything longer than a quick application (less than a second) is akin to towing a loaded trailer without trailer brakes.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Full throttle and a hand full of brake for anything longer than a quick application (less than a second) is akin to towing a loaded trailer without trailer brakes.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
How many times a year do you use the word “akin?”

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
wouldve just been a little mark in the belt if it wasnt for all that heat from the brake, muhahahahaa! :LOL:

J
Mar 7, 2012
Unfortunately i have first hand experience with this. We installed a bumper on a buddies sled and removing the can was in the instructions. We followed them and the part we didnt notice upon reassembly is that the rubber isolator that goes over the support bar had fallen off. So 55 miles from the truck his QD2 belt let go and we had no idea why. 2 1/2 hours of towing and a trip to the dealer and we had our answer. ??‍♂️

Premium Features