• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

9R Khaos melted a quick drive belt

Cleary

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2021
PNW
My buddy picked up his 155 Khaos 9R yesterday. Today we got to 17 miles and this happened. Breaking it in easy. Any ideas as to what caused this? I'm picking mine up tomorrow. Hopefully same thing doesn't happen.

F87258BF-1261-40F4-B150-ED9C8491D862.jpeg

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Well that belt looks shredded, not melted. Hard to say with already pulling it out before the picture but I think something fell down and was riding under the pulley. Could have the been the spacer that's falling off or an extra spring dropped in there. What little bit I can see of the can it looks more like a Boost than a 9R. What is the pipe coming off the can? ? I would blame whoever did the install on the can.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Well that belt looks shredded, not melted. Hard to say with already pulling it out before the picture but I think something fell down and was riding under the pulley. Could have the been the spacer that's falling off or an extra spring dropped in there. What little bit I can see of the can it looks more like a Boost than a 9R. What is the pipe coming off the can? ? I would blame whoever did the install on the can.
Egt bung

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"

Yep, we need to see a picture of the entire can.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
This happened to a few sleds last year. Turned out to be extra hardware from the assembly of shipping crates. Falls under the lower sprocket. People have the dropsies and are lazy. Look for a bolt under.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
My buddy picked up his 155 Khaos 9R yesterday. Today we got to 17 miles and this happened. Breaking it in easy. Any ideas as to what caused this? I'm picking mine up tomorrow. Hopefully same thing doesn't happen.
i think the brake may have got hot and melted it . the can is way to far away from the belt for that to be an issue

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
We are talking about springs from the can. That belt is not melted. When the brakes melts the belt it catches on fire. It's shredded. I've done it on my own sled before.
i could be a spring or bolt but there is the known brake heat problem . i wasn't riding it so i'm just guessing as are you

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Extra hardware winding up in the wrong spot and shredding it is a good guess here. If it melted due to brake heat, it’s highly likely you would distinctly smell brakes and belt on fire…and it would look more melty and less shreddy

R
Jan 3, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Same thing happened to me last you with 22 Kaos. Nut was loose in my engine compartment. Worked its way under the quick drive pully and shredded my belt and pully gear. Polaris replaced. There was a bulletin from Polaris last year about loose hardware floating in engine compartment from assembly.
Either way I tell all my buddies to turn their new sleds upside down before even riding them. Make sure any loose hardware that may be hidden some where in the engine compartment to hopefully make itself found. If not it will eventually end up under your quick drive and this will happen.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
2 things. First there is very little clearance under the lower gear. Hitting a stump without a gaurd under there will cause this or a loose item under the belt as others have suggested. Scondly guys were doing htis last year with the brake overheating from dragging from a mechanical issue or rider holding it on. Both issues are easily avoided if some precautions are taken.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Does anyone carry a spare QD belt on their sled? For $240 it's probably not a bad idea.

It's such a vulnerable spot. I just discovered a broken exhaust spring and consider myself lucky that the small missing piece didn't get into that system.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Does anyone carry a spare QD belt on their sled? For $240 it's probably not a bad idea.

It's such a vulnerable spot. I just discovered a broken exhaust spring and consider myself lucky that the small missing piece didn't get into that system.
Absolutely carry a spare!
I place my clutch belt inside my drive belt and put it in the stock belt carrier.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Premium Features