• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP rolls down Highway @ 70 mph

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
this just justifies what i keep preaching about everyone thats over the age of 65 needs to retake their drivers exam! hahahahaha :D :eek:

sorry to here it pops, you keep mom safe and sound damnit! glad you both are ok.

fyi slim... how many times i tolya CATS always land on their feet!!!!! :p

B
Jun 9, 2002
MN
One thing peoples, I hear all the time that most dont strap down their sleds inside an enclosed, I always doo, and I think this helped save alot of damage to SnoJo's XP, other the the gear tool box etc. that was flying around hitting it did the damage. WHich is not insured yet !!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Strap those sleds down !!!

I never will understand why people won't take 5 minutes to tie them in.;)

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
That had to be a heartbreaking experience for SnoJo. Nothing like taking the newnwess off a new sled like a harrowing experience like that.
As I was reading your story I could just imagine how that would affect me and my wife if it was us.

It's really very fortunate that no one else was affected and no injuries.
Bummer that the XP was not insured yet but I would talk to your insurance agent that you have your other sleds insured through anyway.
If you always insure your sleds and you just had not had a chance to insure this one because you were just now bringing it home from the dealer then there is a very good chance he will cover it.
Something about implied coverage or something. I forget exactly what the term is but check it out.
If you used an insured trade in then I'm pretty sure they will cover this one.

I think this is an excellent example to everyone why we tie our sleds down in an enclosed trailer.

The Pinecone joke isn't really appropriate here, not funny to make light of someone's loss like that but what do I know!
I would still be shaking after that.

Slim, you've been around forever here so I'm sure the folks here on the 4M's will be glad to help out any way they can with parts and such.

alrevedup

Lifetime Membership
May 12, 2007
New Mexico
Thank you LORD everyone is okay! Nothing else matters!!!!!!!!!!! Not even that sweet STRONG sled

God Bless

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
OMG.......I can only imagine what kind of ride that was while it was happening. :eek: :eek:

VERY glad you both are ok (except maybe some shot nerves?), and no one else was injured either!!!

Bummer on the whole incident. :( I know Jo was soooo looking forward to the new ride, but sounds like it came out of it in pretty decent shape for what happened. Must have taken quite a lot to keep it in control for as long as you did and to be able to avoid injuries. I'm sure I would have left hand/fingerprints on the dash going through something like that. :eek:

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Glad to hear you are ok. That sure would be scary.

Hey what kind of straps do you use? or anybody else? We have always just used bunjies but I don't think they would have done anything in that case. I think we will start using the 4 wheeler straps to make sure they don't go anywhere.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Share your thoughts

Slim,

Now that you've had a chance to replay the experience in your head, is there anything you could pass on from the experience?

It sounds like you did an incredible job of maintaining control of your rig, but is there anything you would have done different if it happened again?

Glad everyone is ok and hope you (or any if us) never find yourself in that situation again!!

modsledr

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
nice to see your ok bro

We had that happen to us last season towing a 4 place. I will never forget seeing the side of my sled (while sitting on the 4 place) while going down the hwy.

I know that feeling and IT SUCKS

The only thing that saved us was my brother kept pullin the trailer straight by putting tension on the saftey chains while he slowed down. That made the toung come back true and pulled the back of the trailer straight.

I always preach "drive safe and slow" while riding out to your "area". Id doesnt matter how fast you get there if you trash your sleds on the way and dont have one to ride.

Glad that the XP "handled" it lol lol

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Wow dude, I'm glad to hear everyone is OK. Definately post pics of the carnage.... you don't see many epic wrecks like that in a lifetime.

WYrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Gillette, WY
WOW, that realy sucks man.

No matter how much we bang on the XP's we realy don't want to see that happen.

Rain Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2002
Brainerd,MN
Dude, I feel for you. Loaded up here in MN with brand new 2001 800 RMK, and 99 SKS few years ago. Girlfriend, sleeping in back seat of truck, and I head out at 0-Dark-thirty. 50 miles down a wet I-94 into the trip to Jellystone did the same thing except you know those signs "Bridges freeze before roadway" sign...well they're true. Hit the expansion joint, rear tires break free, jack knife, two place enclosed Featherlite trailer flung right off the back of the truck, over and over and over in the median. Same deal, cars bailing, nobody hurt, truck somehow stayed upright. Trailer with tools, sleds, gas cans, clothes, chaos everywhere. No fun. Hang in there Slim, it will get better.

S
Nov 27, 2007
S.E. Idaho
We were returning home from American Falls one evening couple summers ago and had been running 70+ all the way home......came up the off ramp @ Chubbuck exit; got the green light and rolled through the intersection losing the boat trailer upon hitting the rain gutter. Nothing hurt but pride on that deal.........gave me the heebee geebee's though thinking what might have been had she departed the tow vehicle on the interstate. Glad none of you folks or other drivers hurt.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Slim and Jod! Yikes...glad your guys didn't get hurt.

I never ever ever better hear anymore crap from slimmie on my SLOW driving...65 my a$$! He was only going 65 if he was getting started! Like Brock says the old dude can't see the speedo and just goes by feel...he feels the floor board under the peddle and thats how fast he goes.

Premium Features