• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP rolls down Highway @ 70 mph

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
WELL, we know why no trailer brakes :(

FOund out tongiht whilepicking up the new trailer, that my fuse on the truck for the "tow brake battery" was blown, cetainly didnt cause the accident, but most likely would have allowed me to brake the trailerdown and get it stopped without losing it.............

Check your battery fuses also peoples so that the brakes and "Break-Away" works ..........................:(

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
To Check

Slim,
Yep the break away battery is a item that is always overlooked. Sometimes nestled under the frame ( New Mirage's) out of sight-out of mind.
Aw- it's a gelled sealed battery..she's OK....it;s best to check things out now that this is fresh in our minds courtesy of Slim and Jo....

Bad way to get a new trailer, but you were thinking of getting one anyhoo, I knew that your flags would survive the outcome of the incident..

Hat's off for sharing:wine: so we all may learn to just double check the simple things....and.....Tie them sleds down, I have seen them shoot out of the back of a hallmark fishtailing down a icy road..very hard to dodge sled's......and....Well pinecones..... Sorry I just had to;)

R

Red Dog

Aug 29, 2001
Call it what you want,I'm just glad you two are O.K.It takes alot of courage to come on a public forum and share your experience good or bad, which we can all learn something from. Thanks for sharing,equipment checklist is something I'll do from now on. Cheers Red Dog.

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
Slim,
Yep the break away battery is a item that is always overlooked. Sometimes nestled under the frame ( New Mirage's) out of sight-out of mind.
Aw- it's a gelled sealed battery..she's OK....it;s best to check things out now that this is fresh in our minds courtesy of Slim and Jo....

Bad way to get a new trailer, but you were thinking of getting one anyhoo, I knew that your flags would survive the outcome of the incident..

Hat's off for sharing:wine: so we all may learn to just double check the simple things....and.....Tie them sleds down, I have seen them shoot out of the back of a hallmark fishtailing down a icy road..very hard to dodge sled's......and....Well pinecones..... Sorry I just had to;)

First
Glad no one was hurt, could have turned out much worse.

Second
Let me say HI
HI
I live in Oregon but i'm from Montana, been sledding since 77, with about 10 years off in between.

Third
Thanks for bringing up the battery. Don't know what I was thinking, my 5th wheel always has two charged batteries so i take if for granted the break away will always work which it should. HOWEVER
I just bought a used 3 place enclosed, took it out yesterday and notice the over head light doesn't work. I saw the battery on the front and since it's a 1995 I figured it was just old and dead and I'd get to it some other day. I think i'll get to this tomarrow as it has to go 1200 miles round trip in 11 days.
The breakaway needs power!!! :face-icon-small-dis da

So it maybe that your accident will help myself or someone else have a small accident instead of a VERY BIG ONE.

DJ

Last edited:

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
glad you folks are okay Slim, and the damage wasn't a lot worse than it was.

being an on and off highway truck driver for over 20 years here in northern Alberta, I have to somewhat agree with the Schmuck dude in that very few incidents on the highways are true "accidents". even tho the posted speed limit says 55, 60, or 75, one must compensate his speed for highway conditions. be that snow/ice, bumps, or the dreaded "other drivers".

I can tell by the responses to Schmuck in this thread that you are a respected member of this forum, and I'm not in any way trying to bash you or put you down. just saying that the hitch failure may have very well resulted from the forces generated by hitting the expansion joint at a high rate of speed, and I can only surmise this because I have never travelled that piece of road or seen the bump that caused your unfortunate mishap.

defensive driving is not to speed up to get away from traffic, (forgive me if I have read that wrong) but to slow and let traffic pass. I have thousands of hours as a driving instructor for both passenger vehicles and commercial transport, and over 3 million safe driving miles hauling heavy equipment and drilling rigs up here in the frozen north. I have however been in the hospital several times from pushing it too far on my sleds, bikes, and yes, even the 4wd quad.

I hope the rest of the winter is fantastic in your area, and wish you a safe sledding season.

let the flaming of teeroy begin....

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
teeroy,

Are you the same 'teeroy' that was in Island Park in 2003 for the forum ride?

Another question - are you the trucker named 'teeroy on the darkside' (or something like that) that called Bubba about a year ago? If so that was damn funny.

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
teeroy,

Are you the same 'teeroy' that was in Island Park in 2003 for the forum ride?

Another question - are you the trucker named 'teeroy on the darkside' (or something like that) that called Bubba about a year ago? If so that was damn funny.
no on the Island Park ride, have never sledded outside of western Canada. I was "just doo it" before the forum change, went to post and it said "forum closed" and directed me here. hope I didn't steal someones' user name.

yes on the Bubba deal, I'm the northern Alberta FTE. glad to hear today that the boys were re-signed by Sirius, we'll get to hear them for another year at least. makes the miles fly by....:D

here's a youtube vid I made with the audio of the call to the show. contains foul language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVAmPLnqMJQ

no on the Island Park ride, have never sledded outside of western Canada. I was "just doo it" before the forum change, went to post and it said "forum closed" and directed me here. hope I didn't steal someones' user name.

yes on the Bubba deal, I'm the northern Alberta FTE. glad to hear today that the boys were re-signed by Sirius, we'll get to hear them for another year at least. makes the miles fly by....:D

here's a youtube vid I made with the audio of the call to the show. contains foul language

i used to listen to bubba when he was on local radio down here out of tampa..

teeroy: that was pretty fawkin funny!! :)

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
teeroy

Thanks for the well wishs.
glad you folks are okay Slim, and the damage wasn't a lot worse than it was.[\quote]

This actually was a "true accident" in that new information I acquired when I picked up my new Interstate trailer. Interstate discontinued the use of the type hitch I had on my wrecked trailer several years ago for the reason of: "hitch failure" imagine that :( My dealer showed me a picture of the faulty hitch and commented on it. They now use a "Bully Dog" as their normal hitch.

I agree with adjusting speed for conditions; Conditions were dry, clear, moderate temps, and I was traveling with the flow of traffic, which happened to be 70 on Friday night outside a college town. Upon coming up on a "slower" vehicle in the right lane, I passed and increased speed, adjusting to other drivers, (When I pass, I PASS, I find it threatening when some dork decides to pass in the left lane and does say 66 passing a 65mph driver, to me thats IGNORANT ;)

All these things put together the "accident."

I appreciate your description of respected, but I just say it like it is, nothing more - nothing less, but thanx anyways. I do not take your comments as bashing what-so-ever, you presented soild information in a genuine sharing manner, schmcuk did not, and in my book he is, well .. a schmuck. Your info strikes me as you being a competent driver and very knowledgable, GREAT to have drivers like you on the road, I am not in your league, but actually have many miles under my belt during a "On the road" career, so I am no dummy to watching out for the issues on the road.

I wish you a safe winter also and thank you for the input.

IMO, no flaming of teeroy should happen :D

p.s. scotty, I thought of the same guy from the early IP rides :D

Last edited:

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
a faulty hitch is indeed a true accident, and I appreciate the response and kind words.

I apologize for inferring that it was in any way your actions that caused the accident. you seem to be a road wise individual, and I too wish more could be as alert to their surroundings on the highway.

thinking it over, it is improbable that a trailer that size with such a small load (blatant XP lightweight plug) would cause a hitch to fail from even the worst of impacts caused by road hazards.

I'm glad you never took my post as to be in defense of Schmuck's demeanor, he had a valid point but his choice of wording was juvenile and confrontational.

was this other teeroy guy at least riding a Doo?:D

:beer;

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org

HAHA, what's up there Canadian butt-buddy? That's the call!!! There was a whole thread aboot you on the old forum last year.

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=281040

Thread originator Blizzardice & I were working together back then and were pumping your call through most of the office. That was a BTLS highlight for sure. Next time you make the call, how aboot a shout-out to your SnoWest butt-buddies?? :D :D

And yeah it was good to hear yesterday that they signed him for another year. Ferrel gave him a shout-out last night. Bubba's show is why Sirius is great.

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
HAHA, what's up there Canadian butt-buddy? That's the call!!! There was a whole thread aboot you on the old forum last year.

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=281040

Thread originator Blizzardice & I were working together back then and were pumping your call through most of the office. That was a BTLS highlight for sure. Next time you make the call, how aboot a shout-out to your SnoWest butt-buddies?? :D :D

And yeah it was good to hear yesterday that they signed him for another year. Ferrel gave him a shout-out last night. Bubba's show is why Sirius is great.
when my dad heard the call in the shop on the radio he phoned me and wanted me to call back and tell Ned to F-off! like I could just get on anytime....lol.

I try to call in once in a while but it's damn near impossible to get a ring, and now you have to bamboozle Big Dick to get through. I will give you guys a shout out if I ever get back on there, it's aboot time for another CB conversation with Ned....:D

I read last night that Bubba also signed a deal with Cox that will put him on local Tampa radio 102.5 for the morning drive spot for 4 hrs. he will do his Sirius show in the afternoons. I hope it's not too much to handle for him, 8hrs of radio a day!

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
Idaho Slim

I was wondering if this is the hitch you had?

hitch.jpg

Last edited:
I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Not Exactly

Idaho Slim

I was wondering if this is the hitch you had?

hitch.jpg

Looks close,but different, that one looks suspicous also tho IMO. I bet the slide has a "cone" shaped wedge that is supposed to secure the ball in the recessed bulb. I would replace it now that I know what can happen. I will try and get a pic of minbe, we took it off from the guy who bought my trailer for salvage and we put on the clamshell slide collar, $85 for ALOT of piece of mind.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK

"We'll come up there, kill Big Ern and f__K some chickens...."

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I think I remember hearing you that day. AWESOME...

Premium Features