• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whittier Tunnel Closure

I'm gonna try to go the next few days... depending on weather. I will post pics and shiyit if it happens.

I'm aiming to be at the tunnel before the 12:30 bearvalley to whittier opening... if any "new" whittier riders need to be pointed in the right direction - I 'should' be there if the weather is clear. I will have my g/f with me tho - so i won't be the funnest person to ride with, but i can at least point in the right direction.

Last edited:
--Whittier Etiquette--

Also - word to the wise. Our riding access is allowed by the city of whittier. They consult and base their decisions off of the same park rangers that control turnagain as far as openings/closings and snow pack issues. Other than that, its ultimately up to the mayor whether or not to allow us to ride there.

Few things to keep in mind, to prevent a closure of THE best spring riding location:

1. At the top of the access road, right at the trail head.... try to avoid 'rapping' your throttle. At the bottle neck part(s) of the trail, it digs holes and creates premature soil exposure which will ultimately lead to a closure... when there is still tons of snow available. Also, the whittier residents, from what i hear, aren't especially fond of the inherent noise of our machines(and understandably). Wait until you get to the top to start doing wheelies.

2. Buy stuff in whittier.... Gas, lunch/dinner, snacks, anything that will welcome our return. :beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

3. Simple etiquette will go a long way... drive SLOW, whittier residents don't want to hear how loud your dual exhaust is, or how long you can do a burn out for.

4. DO NOT LITTER! Its not ok to litter anywhere... BUT ESPECIALLY the TRAIL HEAD AND PARKING AREAS!!!!! If you see some beer cans/food wrappers, broken belts, throw it in the bed of your pickup.

This is all simple stuff that most people already know and follow. Unfortunately, that one bad apple can have a highly negative affect for all of us!

Excellent points that really apply to every place that we ride, honestly we need to clean up our act in general, granted that it's the few that make the whole look bad but we're all held responsible. Good on ya trav907 for bringing it up.

Also - word to the wise. Our riding access is allowed by the city of whittier. They consult and base their decisions off of the same park rangers that control turnagain as far as openings/closings and snow pack issues. Other than that, its ultimately up to the mayor whether or not to allow us to ride there.

Few things to keep in mind, to prevent a closure of THE best spring riding location:

1. At the top of the access road, right at the trail head.... try to avoid 'rapping' your throttle. At the bottle neck part(s) of the trail, it digs holes and creates premature soil exposure which will ultimately lead to a closure... when there is still tons of snow available. Also, the whittier residents, from what i hear, aren't especially fond of the inherent noise of our machines(and understandably). Wait until you get to the top to start doing wheelies.

2. Buy stuff in whittier.... Gas, lunch/dinner, snacks, anything that will welcome our return. :beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

3. Simple etiquette will go a long way... drive SLOW, whittier residents don't want to hear how loud your dual exhaust is, or how long you can do a burn out for.

4. DO NOT LITTER! Its not ok to litter anywhere... BUT ESPECIALLY the TRAIL HEAD AND PARKING AREAS!!!!! If you see some beer cans/food wrappers, broken belts, throw it in the bed of your pickup.

This is all simple stuff that most people already know and follow. Unfortunately, that one bad apple can have a highly negative affect for all of us!

I have two buddies going today, If they give me a good report I'll try to go tomorrow if anyone wants to go and share gas costs. I live in Eagle River and have a two place trailer.

Last edited:

Truer words have never been spoken. I agree 100%!

I would love to ride today (sunday may 17) if anyone is going. I have full backcountry gear and know how to use it as well. I got a kitchen pass and then my partner had to work so if you have a spot give me a pm.

Went riding Saturday.... beautiful day with plenty of snow to be had. The road past the old military barracks is completely different... i wasn't sure if i was in the right spot. Kinda crazy. Good news is, the meth labs are still up there in the form of old parked school buses. The bad news is, all the people who got there before me said the park ranger was up there saying they were closing today, meaning he was going to be writing tickets soon. Hopefully they were making shìt up, because there is enough snow left, and there wasn't any vegetation showing yet on the trail up. Here are some pics... hopefully some of the people who went today can share good news of no rangers and no tickets.

Here are some pics:

My girlfriend and I

DSCF0989.jpg

Kaylee and Johnny

DSCF0977.jpg

My buddy Johnny and I above blackstone bay.

DSCF0991.jpg

Dual Sport Much.....

Wifey and I will be going to Whittier with our Mountain Bikes for rock-hunting this weekend, Sturday and Sunday.

We are trophy rock hunters ;)(I just got my guide license last year). We hunt for sport and display our kills in our yard surrounding the variuos gardens. We heard there is an emergency rock season opening on the road to Whittier as there is a surplus of road rocks form some recent event. I even heard there is no bag limit, just an axle load restriction.

An update would be nice as I would definitely trailer up and drag the sleds down for one more go 'round.

If you see us honk, I will be the guy draggin a$$ following this blonde fit freak of nature on our bikes, and the truck will be easy to spot, as it should be dragging bumper due to raock weight. Happy Hunting.

Headed up there today and it was great, had a good time. I heard that today was the last day though? Anyone know for sure? Theres still plenty of snow hopefully today isn't really the last day.

saw ya guys heading that way today on our way back from Soldotna ~~~ wish we would have swapped the wheelers for the sleds before we headed south last night :( we could have gone today too... I'm jealous ~ hope you guys enjoyed it ;)

saw ya guys heading that way today on our way back from Soldotna ~~~ wish we would have swapped the wheelers for the sleds before we headed south last night :( we could have gone today too... I'm jealous ~ hope you guys enjoyed it ;)

I saw your truck and wheelers on the Arm headed south.....where were you guys riding in Soldotna?

I am jealous too! I am stuck somewhere in nothern BC due to a snowstorm.... The 2" of snow prevent my motorcycle to stay upright on the road (I tried and did not even make it out of the parking lot thus putting on for a show for all the stranded tourist waiting out the weather at the lodge...).So I joined them and I hope that the weather will get warmer than 19F and there will be no snow and no ice tomorrow....
It Whittier stays open, I would love to go when I come back next week.

Whittier was sick. No tickets but aparently the FS said today was the last day. According to the Whittier Police, if enough sledders call the FS telling them to keep it open (there is TONS of snow) they might extend it. It easily has another weekend before vegetation even starts to show. So call the FS!!!

Premium Features

Back