• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whittier Tunnel Closure

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
It's not what is in the pics that is the problem. They are saying that there is more up high ready to come down as well once they start moving around what is down on the road. This could be a while.

Reactions: shwee
A

ak ryda

Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, must be a State Job if they cant clean that up in a day. Milkin it. Maybe they are waiting till the weekend for time and a half and double time for sunday.

Like others have posted, the rock that fell is not the problem, its the growing cracks up above that pose a safety risk to the travelling public or any workers working below.

Also the contractors doing the clean up work are more than likely out of the 302 (ADOT maintenance contracts out a clean up job like that) and dont get double time on sundays. Also ADOT maintenance crews get their shifts staggerd so that they dont get double time on sundays (they get OT after 40 hours and only get double time on their 7th consecutive working day, doesnt matter when their week starts).

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
Like others have posted, the rock that fell is not the problem, its the growing cracks up above that pose a safety risk to the travelling public or any workers working below.

Also the contractors doing the clean up work are more than likely out of the 302 (ADOT maintenance contracts out a clean up job like that) and dont get double time on sundays. Also ADOT maintenance crews get their shifts staggerd so that they dont get double time on sundays (they get OT after 40 hours and only get double time on their 7th consecutive working day, doesnt matter when their week starts).

Yup but, the better bang for our buck State employees watching over the job get double on sundays. Come on why do you think they wait to plow from saturday snowfalls till sunday? Or are running up and down from Girdwood to Anchorage pushing pebbles with their plows on bare pavement.

Reactions: shwee
G
Mar 8, 2009
Girdwood
Statements like that are one of the main reasons I quit the highway dept in Girdwood. It seems someone is always an expert. Ak ryda is correct as far as the state stagering there shifts during the winter in order to cover 7 days a week. And other thing, last time I checked I don't pay state taxes so I don't see were the money to maintain the highways is coming out of my pocket. So next time you think you can do a better job maybe you might go down to the State Local 71 and apply for a job and then see if you like being the brunt of all the so call highway maintainence experts for less than 50K a year.

A

ak ryda

Nov 26, 2007
Yup but, the better bang for our buck State employees watching over the job get double on sundays. Come on why do you think they wait to plow from saturday snowfalls till sunday? Or are running up and down from Girdwood to Anchorage pushing pebbles with their plows on bare pavement.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. ADOT maintenance crews have their shifts scheduled so that they don't get double time. Sundays are irrelevant, the workers in their union get double time only if it is their 7th consecutive working day in a row. They also lay off much of their staff in the summer since winter is their busy season. The union that the majority of state workers are part of does not have double time as part of their package.

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
Let me clarify a little. I am not so much talking about the guys who do the actual snow plowing. You guys seem to have a better hold on that and what is true and is not.

I am talking about lets say 4-5 guys sitting in new pickups down at the road clean up. Sitting their watching ( supervising) the contracters removing the slide.

I also never stated that the monies used for State Maint. or DOT came out of my or your pockets. We do not pay State taxes. My concerns are why does it take 5-7 people working for the state to do the same job that private contractors can accomplish with 1 or 2 people.

Count the DOT trucks next time you drive through a road project this summer.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Let me clarify a little. I am not so much talking about the guys who do the actual snow plowing. You guys seem to have a better hold on that and what is true and is not.

I am talking about lets say 4-5 guys sitting in new pickups down at the road clean up. Sitting their watching ( supervising) the contracters removing the slide.

I also never stated that the monies used for State Maint. or DOT came out of my or your pockets. We do not pay State taxes. My concerns are why does it take 5-7 people working for the state to do the same job that private contractors can accomplish with 1 or 2 people.

Count the DOT trucks next time you drive through a road project this summer.
Puff knows a thing or two about moving dirt and rocks.

Reactions: Puff_N_AK
A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
job time

Its like a good job to move the entire road away from the cliffs to me. It would be damn expensive, but it would solve the problem forever and be a good job with some massive blasting. Its way to risky to bring in big enough equipment to move the current slide without causeing another one for now. Hopefully it will get figured out for the people of Whitter, that tunnel is there life line. Tim

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
That is not a big slide. Ever been up past Glitter Gultch towards Healy? When they cleaned up that moutain side there was about 100 X the material.

M
Mar 23, 2009
Anchorage, AK
...And other thing, last time I checked I don't pay state taxes so I don't see were the money to maintain the highways is coming out of my pocket. So next time you think you can do a better job maybe you might go down to the State Local 71 and apply for a job and then see if you like being the brunt of all the so call highway maintainence experts for less than 50K a year.

While I can understand why you were displeased with the previous statement, the last time I checked, I was paying quite a bit in property taxes....

A

ak ryda

Nov 26, 2007
Property taxes are a local government tax (Municipality of Anchorage, Mat-Su Borough, etc) and we do not have a state property tax. Alaska has no state income, sales, or property tax and nearly all our money for state government comes from big oil.

Last edited:
P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
Property taxes are a local government tax (Municipality of Anchorage, Mat-Su Borough, etc) and we do not have a state property tax. Alaska has no state income, sales, or property tax and nearly all our money for state government comes from big oil.

Bingo, I still do not see a better bang for our buck. Seeing how we do not pay State Income, Property, or Sales tax, why do their projects fall apart after 3-5 years? After this i think i am leaving this one alone.

Last edited:
B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
I know everyone is anxious to get into Whittier to ride ~ and the situation is pretty lame with the road. But I have to give kudos to Lester Lunceford. He is the Mayor of Whittier and has been working diligently with the ARRC, DOT and public to keep everyone informed and get people and supplies in and out of Whittier. I (because of business relations in Whittier) have been getting almost daily updates from him and from Kelly Bender at Prince William Sound Glacier Tours and wanted to share this one with you guys:

Latest Update from Rockslide Project Manager

April 27, 2009 @ 7:10p.m.

Monday evening (4-27-09) Update: Weather: Calm and cloudy and mild temperatures.

The hauling units are shutdown as the temporary road around the rockslide has been completed. The hauling units and loaders are on standby until the big shot takes place, hopefully, this weekend. Immediately following the big shot, we expect to clear "fly" rock from the temporary road and open to limited traffic including boats. By the end of today's shift the second rock drill will be in place and the production drilling should begin in earnest. The driller plans to operate this machinery 24 hours a day until drilling is complete and the holes are loaded with explosives and the shot takes place. Because of the rough terrain the placement of the drilling equipment has been taking longer than expected. The helicopter continues to fly supplies to the workers on top of the mountain as they are required. I received a report this afternoon (unconfirmed) that the first big crack has widened from the initial 8" to 13.5". I will confirm this tomorrow with the Geologist, however it does seem to indicate that we are doing the right thing by removing this hazard to the public's safety.

Tomorrow is a big day. I think we can better judge the drilling and the production time after the next shift.

My projected opening is not changing as of yet, however tomorrow's report may adjust the time frame of Monday May 4th.

Thanks,

Chuck Swenor, Project Engineer DOT/PF

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Here is your update Trav... not much to report this time:

Latest Update from Rockslide Project Manager

April 28, 2009 @ 5:29p.m.

Tuesday evening (4-28-09) update Weather: Beautiful Sunny and calm!

Not much to report today. The second drill rig reached the top at 2:00 PM today and as of 5:00 PM the Contractor has not begun the production drilling. Crews continue to support the drilling operation.

I have been told that the drills will be working 24 hrs a day as soon as tonight.

After the shot this weekend, we will begin cleaning up the roadway and a projected opening date will be announced.

Thanks,

Chuck Swenor, Project Engineer DOT/PF

Premium Features