• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tethered brake safety idea

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Do you remember when your red Edge got looted at the grass drags?

HAHAHAHA

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Can you lease those tunnel monkeys per season or do you have to buy them and keep them fed and happy all summer? Bananas aren't getting cheaper.......

And another question, are the Tunnel Monkeys only compatible with sleds w electronic reverse or could they be retrofitted to older sleds without reverse or sleds with mechanical reverse. Monkeys for sleds without reverse are cheaper I hope.....

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
got one!

revolver_modular_snow_helmet_2_full-1.jpg

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
NMF-Tunnel Monkey.

BBWWWAAAAHHHHHAAAAHHHHHAAAAAHHHHAAAAAA

That is awesome. I really do need one of those. I got high sided and drug down the hill becasue I didn't want to let go chase my sled down the hill. He could have just kicked reverse and stopped it for me.

BTW 0:30 or not you still have way too much time on your hands! or should I say Monkeys on your tunnel?

Reactions: Scott

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I had tears in my eyes laughing so hard, my little 2 yr old boy was in the computer room and was laughing with me cause I was laughing so hard!!!!

I needed a tunnel monkey last year up Tony's Grove :D

Reactions: Scott

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
We looked into the auto-brake idea in conjunction with our Phantom Teth-Air system. It does not work well for mountain riding was the outcome.

2 problems.

1. to work properly, an anti-lock system would be needed as locking of the track can be worse than free wheeling.

2. To have anti-lock the system would be heavy and require a battery. Not good for mountain riding.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I would love to have a brake that locked when the tether is pulled. I've seen WAY more sleds center punch trees while ghost riding by far than the couple that would be rolled if the brake was locked. I don't want no stinkin' filthy ape anywhere near my sled;)

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
What about a tether system that kicked the steering over to full lock, which would then dump the sled on its side instead?

I can see the lawsuits already... :D

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
E brake

MANY years ago E-brake was one of our sponsors and I think at one point ink a deal with RMSHA that racers could get them free or at reduced cost.

They worked well (see explanation below), were easy to install and activated the snowmobile's brake system (the device replaced the OEM brake handle with one that had a spring in it, retained by a pin... you had a tether to you from the pin... remove the pin the brake was activated).

The challenges we found was you had two tethers to deal with but the E-brake tether ONLY worked if you went off toward the back of the sled and the sled continued forward... go off over the handle bars or at a sharp lateral angle and the pin would not pull and you remained tethered to a now rolling snowmobile... we used it at a couple of races but I got hung up with it at the White Pass hill climb and that night took them off the sleds...

Reactions: Snowmixer

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
Would the tunnel monkey void the tunnel warranty for too much weight and Scott I would also like to know if any monkeys were harmed

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Premium Features