• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Premium Memberships now available.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
As you can see you have a 2 week window to edit a thread.
Most moderation is done in real time, or within minutes/hours of the post being made.

Entire threads are almost never deleted, unless the whole thread has gone off the deep end and has nothing to do with snowmobiling.

Generally they are only moved into the moderator's forum. And more often than not, just the individual post in the thread is edited/deleted. The sooner it is done, the less ripple effect it has.

so christopher..just a thought here..since deleteing post causes such issues, what about someone who wishes to remove a post they made beyond the 2 week period..can you set it up to where they can at least delete some of the info they have posted in the post while leaving the post intact(such as a picture in a post or a description of a technical nature, or even personal info that was included in the post)....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
so christopher..just a thought here..since deleteing post causes such issues, what about someone who wishes to remove a post they made beyond the 2 week period..can you set it up to where they can at least delete some of the info they have posted in the post while leaving the post intact(such as a picture in a post or a description of a technical nature, or even personal info that was included in the post)....
Any member of the forum is welcome to contact any moderator to get that handled!

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
I don't now man, I have really enjoyed this website over the last 10 or so years, and I don't hold it against them that the owners want and need to make a profit. And not even just a profit, but a worthwhile profit. I just cant agree with eliminating the free membership ability to contribute. I certainly will feel less compelled to contribute if I HAVE to pay to do so. I register on dozens of websites, make a quick but worthwhile contribution, then move on, maybe never coming back, maybe sticking around for a month or a year. If I had to pay, that would never happen. I always eventually support for the websites I really value, if they give me the option.

I once donated over $1000 to a member of a forum who's house burned down, I had never met the guy, never even read one of his threads, I just felt compelled to do something for him and his family. IF I had to pay to use that forum, I would have never known that guy was in need of help. When I find a really good forum, get to know it and the people who run it, its not uncommon for me to send them an anonymous payment for 2-10 times what their paid members pay on top of paying my yearly dues, just to make sure they are getting the support they need to stay online.

Some websites that I have been a member of for many years, I pay during years I have something to contribute, and let my membership lapse during years that I don't. One of the forums just happens to be one of the most successful in its industry. Seems to work just fine not having everyone paying. If I had to pay every year, I would have stopped contributing to that website long ago. I put hundreds if not thousands of hours into that forum, trying to help other people learn how to build suspensions and do their own fabrication. With the way this site will soon be run, there is no way I could do that.

I don't want to see the unpaid members of this site pushed away. They are valued by me and others like me, if not the owners and admin. Let they stay, let them contribute as they always have, and let them do it for free. If you want to entice people to pay, then have a small fee go toward using S.W. servers to host their pictures, let the paid members have all the goodies, the bigger avatars, customizable sig lines, bigger PM boxes, etc, etc, etc. But don't take away our freedom to contribute to each others threads.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Free Members CAN POST and will continue to be allowed to POST. But they will not have the same unlimited privileges to post that you just paid for.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So a free member can post in the Alaska forum, in a thread about lost lake, for the entire life of the thread, to the end of time?
As of right now, A free member will be able to go into the Alaska Forum, assuming the members don't chase him out, and start as many threads as his heart desires. The limitation will be on the number of posts in a thread that he is able to read, and thus reply to.

Yes, this is subject to change.
Why?
Because there are people out there that really want to do serious harm to this site, and we will take steps to stop them from doing that. If we find that free members are using that feature to spam the forums, then we will have to figure out how to restrict the posting side of the equation as well as the reading.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
And that is exactly what I am talking about.

Your preventing free members from having a meaningfull discussion. Thats wrong in my opinion, and will be the demise of the quality content on this forum. The main forums will probably do OK, but the local forums will likely die, and the tech will go down hill. How could we have helped so many people discover the problems with the diamond drives in the 5203 bearing thread if after the first few posts we werent able to view the thread anymore? How could we see the current conditions at Lost Lake if we cannot read to the end of the thread, or post the results of our last trip up firemans trail?

This is really unfortunate.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There is no perfect solution that allows everyone full access to everything and still allows the conversion of the site over to paid access.

The goal is to encourage those very people to choose to buy a very inexpensive membership.

Remember, how many times has it been said, its not about the money. If its not about the money, then they will join and it won't be an issue. At just over 2 cents a day, I think everyone will more than get their money's worth out of a membership to these forums.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
If you want to prevent people from doing harm, them moderate the hell out of this place. Ban the trolls, never even give them the chance to waste your time. Keep your software up to date, and play an active role as admin. But dont keep me from contributing because your affraid I might say something offensive.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you want to prevent people from doing harm, them moderate the hell out of this place. Ban the trolls, never even give them the chance to waste your time. Keep your software up to date, and play an active role as admin. But dont keep me from contributing because your affraid I might say something offensive.
You have no idea at all how many hours a day we spend doing just that! That takes more of my daily time than everything else combined.

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
Actually I do. I have the same job you do on another forum, its not as big, but I do have a VERY good idea. I'd venture to say that I spend as much time working on my forums, or more, than you do on this one, because I actually care about ALL my members, paid or not. I dont get paid one red cent for what I do, I keep it free because I appreciate everyons input, I care about the community, and I care about its members.

And then you even told me.

Over 42,000 accounts.
22 of them have been Banned.
38 have been closed.

Thats only a total of 60 out of 42,000 that have shut down.
0.001%

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Any word on adding a BACON icon to the smily faces?? That's all I'm asking for.

When I was a kid I could enjoy a candybar for 25 cents....today I can enjoy the same candybar but I have to pay almost $1.
I can still occasionally find a different candy bar for 25 cents but it's ALOT SMALLER and not nearly as tasty.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Any word on adding a BACON icon to the smily faces?? That's all I'm asking for.

When I was a kid I could enjoy a candybar for 25 cents....today I can enjoy the same candybar but I have to pay almost $1.
I can still occasionally find a different candy bar for 25 cents but it's ALOT SMALLER and not nearly as tasty.

As one of my most favorite things (Bacon), I can assure you we WILL have at least one bacon smiley. :)

So until then, you can rejoice, and dance with
dancebaconsmall.gif

M

mcgyver

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 5, 2008
Idaho
There is no perfect solution that allows everyone full access to everything and still allows the conversion of the site over to paid access.

The goal is to encourage those very people to choose to buy a very inexpensive membership.

Remember, how many times has it been said, its not about the money. If its not about the money, then they will join and it won't be an issue. At just over 2 cents a day, I think everyone will more than get their money's worth out of a membership to these forums.

your right.......there is no perfect solution that converts the site over to paid access.......

but there is a perfect solution to the problems........you leave, and take your snowestonline crap with you!!! give us back snowest

just one solution of many

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
You are scaring me. Seems like you have acknowledged there will be a slip in the quality of content? Sounds like a validation of my concerns.

What you failed to acknowledge is that just as the participants here can be replaced, so can the free forum:face-icon-small-hap

You completely lost me with the "how much do you make your buddies pay" line. Where where you going with that? Almost seems as though you once again agree with the opposition to a pay site???

Do some reading, you will find I was one of the first ones to bring up question's and argue against the format change. And thanks to all the B.S. a couple of months ago, I was one of the first to pay.

The format change is what has changed the site, but the same quality of people and content is still available. It's just in different areas.

We need to let people decide if they want to stay or leave, then let every body that that stays decide the format. Not the ones that are leaving.

O
Dec 6, 2007
We need to let people decide if they want to stay or leave, then let every body that that stays decide the format. Not the ones that are leaving.

Sorry, just can't help myself...

That has to be one of the most ignorant, short sighted, comments I have ever read in my life. Chase out your best contributors, and let the chaffe decide how the site should work.

Great plan, good luck with it.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Do some reading, you will find I was one of the first ones to bring up question's and argue against the format change. And thanks to all the B.S. a couple of months ago, I was one of the first to pay.

The format change is what has changed the site, but the same quality of people and content is still available. It's just in different areas.

you really think you will be a part of the decision making on here?..wow....

1badm1

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 28, 2009
Wyoming
Members: 42,290, Active Members: 16,818 What is the determining factor between a member and an active member?

Premium Features