• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REAL WEIGHT COMPARISON: Yamaha Viper vs RMK vs XM! (Video W/Ryan Harris from SnoWest)

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
LOL are you shattin me!!? I gotta get a message about this!!?
So the yami gets a turbo to be comparable?? Oh Ok...$$$$...so since this REALLY IS NOT a apples to apples comparison.....
I'll stick with my pro with about $400 in a tunnel wrap some powder coating and anodizing and damn near no buildup at all

How about rolling the sleds hmmmm? That xm and pro are gonna be much easier...reality of most stucks...ski pulls, roll overs and dig out and reset track which your really not lifting that high if your doing it right...ski pulling that front end to point her back down the hill with that big ole 4 stroke motor?? No thanks

Awesome sled yami no doubt about it great for yami loyals but your not in the same category as the xm or pro on the mtn yet in my book...I'll take the xm or pro with some non void warranty aftermarket items at minimal $$ and still be ahead. :face-icon-small-coo
Take one for a ride...regardless of the bias or not, it is in the same category as the pro, xm, m8. They all have their own pros and cons compared to eachother, but it really is a contender and I doubt anyone with seat time will/can argue that that it isn't.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What we need now are a few thousand of these sleds out there in the field being ridden and their owners coming back here to comment on them.

Next Winter is going to fun!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
LOL Don't become a flat earther Snowmobiler.

If you believe the video is unbiased (I mean why wouldn't a Yamaha add about "Real World Riding Weight" lol be unbiased) then have I got a bullet proof mountain sled for you.

For years we have long posts on weight. Everyone weighted them in their lightest state to get to that magic #. Then Poo came out with something amazing and now fuel capacity, oil tank, tool kit, ES, lunch bag, and now snow build up are part of the "discussions".
Next should be rider included. I see a promo vid future for a 120 lb rider.
Funny how the heaviest sled always shows the least snow build-up and the lightest ones always shows the most when someone is making a "Real World Riding Weight" vid. Funny this was discovered by the heaviest sleds too. Must be important lol.

I think Poo should make a vid about "Real World on the Snow Durability" lol. It could be a vid about 4 bro's that each bought a different brand and follow them through three seasons.
Flashes of the Poo towing out each of his buds a time or two a season as it fast forwards it time. Scenes of a perfectly clean Pro and rider putting up to one of the other sleds stuck up to the handlebars with the rider exhausted on the seat, helmet off and steaming. Pictures of destroyed clutches, broken suspentions, and messy oil changes with mom scolding.
A split screen spot with one side showing the girl friend packing and leaving and the other side showing the rider franticly repairing the other brand and the clock showing 2 AM.
Maybe a scene of a guy recovering in the hospital from a hernia operation and the doc explaining proper lifting technique. On the wall of the hospital room could be a chart of dry weights of the sleds an all would be x'ed out with a poison symbol except the Pro.
The closing scene would be the 4 bro's sitting under a tree in dry new riding gear and hair is perfect. One would say " My life would be better today had I bought a Pro. Amazing sled." Another would say "If I wasn't able to build my new house out of broken belts I would be broke today. That Polaris Pro is an amazingly reliable snowmobile." The other guy could say "I never thought a 120 lbs made a difference on a sled but it does. I'll be getting the Pro next. So much more flickable. It has dominated our group since the first year."
The final pic as the music ramps up would be a quad screen with all odo's shown and cost of ownership overlaid. The pro would show over 7000miles and cost of one belt. The rest would be under 3000 and thousands of dollars in repairs ,maintenance, and medical costs.

Then Mountainhorse could PM everyone on Snowest to view and comment and the "haters always hate,,,,", "if you don't want one,,,", "world is still flat,,," stuff will be posted.
Then some one would pipe in that they were part of this or know of this and it is a true comparison.

Could happen, eh. Happened before lol.

PS had to edit just in case. This is not, to the best my knowledge, a video that has actually been made.

Last edited:

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
These fawkers were heavy that day........and I blasted around them with my boosted Viper 4 stroke and rode out....while they used a helicopter to get to safety:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-win

Hate all you want.....but the Viper MTX is here to stay and play....demos are ongoing in most mountain regions.

Safe sledding
RS

Frisby xm.jpg

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
The question I have to ask after reading all of this is do people really think that a 450 pound sled from the factory is going to be reliable? Is lighter really truly better? If so where is the line between too light and unreliable and just right. All I ever hear is this sled needs to be lighter... Personally I dont care if the sled is heavier as long as it has more power. Im 275lbs fully dressed. I can through a 550-600 pound sled around fairly easily.

You want to know why a pro RMK needs to be 450lbs? Because like the video shows at elevation it barely makes 100 hp. The "most flickable" chassis in the world or whatever mantra they want to put out about this sled might actually be worth while if it made some actual power. In 2014 thats simply pathetic.
Skidoo doesn't make much more for hp but they have done a lot of work to their chassis to compensate.

I commend Yamaha on their joint venture with Cat to build a better mouse trap. Both companies have only benefited and will only continue to benefit from this. Im not in the market for a new sled this year (most likely next year) but if I was my money would be spend on this new Viper with the turbo or the turbo Cat.

C
Nov 29, 2008
The question I have to ask after reading all of this is do people really think that a 450 pound sled from the factory is going to be reliable? Is lighter really truly better? If so where is the line between too light and unreliable and just right. All I ever hear is this sled needs to be lighter... Personally I dont care if the sled is heavier as long as it has more power. Im 275lbs fully dressed. I can through a 550-600 pound sled around fairly easily.

You want to know why a pro RMK needs to be 450lbs? Because like the video shows at elevation it barely makes 100 hp. The "most flickable" chassis in the world or whatever mantra they want to put out about this sled might actually be worth while if it made some actual power. In 2014 thats simply pathetic.
Skidoo doesn't make much more for hp but they have done a lot of work to their chassis to compensate.

I commend Yamaha on their joint venture with Cat to build a better mouse trap. Both companies have only benefited and will only continue to benefit from this. Im not in the market for a new sled this year (most likely next year) but if I was my money would be spend on this new Viper with the turbo or the turbo Cat.

Haven't ridden the Viper - hope to try one out at some point.
Glad to hear you can throw a 550 to 600 lb sled around - I sure can't - that's why I want a light sled that handles great and is dependable.
Its all a trade off. I loved the power, reliability lack & of fumes from the nytro & phasers motors but weight & poor handling characteristics of the chassis - particularly the nytro - led me to another OEM for this season. So far so good and I am happy.
If I could get a 200 lb 80hp sled that handles great .... even better! To each their own.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Funny thread. Some guys need super light sleds to be great riders plain and simple. Anyone can ride a Pro or a XM. My 10 and 12 year olds can whop donuts on the XM like nothing. Being able to get on a heavy sled and ride it the same as the woman and childrens sled is what makes a great rider imo.

I havent tried the turbo Viper yet, but if its anything like i have heard it will close this so called weight issue gap even more. The Pro and XM have chitty engines but are light. Vipers carry some extra weight but have engines that last forever. Pick your poison !

Saying the Pro is the best because it is 417lbs is ridiculous. Its engine sucks and is a flimsy pile of junk. They went from hero to zero in a year. XM has more power and is much more refined than the Poo.

I wish they would of done this test comparing the sleds full of all fluids with the same length track and skid out of the snow. I still think you would be surprised. Flame on !

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Funny thread. Some guys need super light sleds to be great riders plain and simple. Anyone can ride a Pro or a XM. My 10 and 12 year olds can whop donuts on the XM like nothing. Being able to get on a heavy sled and ride it the same as the woman and childrens sled is what makes a great rider imo.

I havent tried the turbo Viper yet, but if its anything like i have heard it will close this so called weight issue gap even more. The Pro and XM have chitty engines but are light. Vipers carry some extra weight but have engines that last forever. Pick your poison !

Saying the Pro is the best because it is 417lbs is ridiculous. Its engine sucks and is a flimsy pile of junk. They went from hero to zero in a year. XM has more power and is much more refined than the Poo.

I wish they would of done this test comparing the sleds full of all fluids with the same length track and skid out of the snow. I still think you would be surprised. Flame on !

My favorite post so far.

Your not a real rider unless your on the heaviest sled. lmao

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
My favorite post so far.

That's not what he meant and you know it. There is a reason the Poo can sidehill so good. Cause with 100 hp, it sure doesn't climb worth a hoot. You can always tell when there have been Pro's in an area. All kinds of sidehill marks and nothing over the top.

J

jkjasperson

Jan 28, 2008
Rock Springs, Wyoming
What we need now are a few thousand of these sleds out there in the field being ridden and their owners coming back here to comment on them.

Next Winter is going to fun!

I spent last weekend puting a couple hundred miles on the 2015 Cat 800 which was a 153" and the turbo 9000 which was a 162". I am extremely bias due to the fact that my family has owened/opperated a Cat dealership for 33 years. I cant belive how fun the 4 stroke was to ride. Ya it was heavier and you felt it at the end of the day but the " Fun Factor" was deffinetly there. I rode it no different then i would of my PC 800, Same ditches, trees, hills. It was surprisingly fun to ride. Im a little guy 145lbs and i swear i would never buy a 4 smoker but it has me wanting to eat a little crow now. I would love to swing a leg over this turbo yami with the clutches and a tad bit lighter sled im sure this thing is going to be hurting a few 800 guys feelings this next year. Who knows maybe ill be on a blue one?

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
My favorite post so far.

Thats not what he said... His posted liken being a great rider with the ability to overcome the weight issue. Clarifying that his children can take the XM and do doughnuts with them. Light sleds make up for downfalls in ability to "ride" the sled and not let it ride you.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I guess I'm reading it wrong... Anyways I'll head back to the women and kids section before someone with lightweight envy hurts my feelings:face-icon-small-ton lol

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
So how much $$$ does this viper in the video cost with that dealer installed turbo??

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
These fawkers were heavy that day........and I blasted around them with my boosted Viper 4 stroke and rode out....while they used a helicopter to get to safety:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-win

Hate all you want.....but the Viper MTX is here to stay and play....demos are ongoing in most mountain regions.

Safe sledding
RS

I am not a hater and believe the viper will be 10 times the sled my old t-nytro was but this post means nothing other than you are a better rider or maybe there was other issues. Years ago I had some buddies stuck down in a hole so me and a buddy and his wife went and got them. One was on a v max 4 and a few 670 summits. You should have seen the look on their face when my buddy took his wife's phazer and rode out of the hole.Priceless. I would like to try one but just because somebody wants a 2 stroke doesn't make them a hater. Some people don't want to modify or spend that much and the viper is not a contender without the turbo. The only problem I Have with the whole deal is you guys are trying to portrait that the 4 weighs about the same as the 2. It is no different than people trying to say a 174 handles the same or can't tell any difference from a 154. Yamaha went to 4 and everyone else is still pushing 2's. Nothing wrong with options.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
A LOT of Flat Earthers ride heavy 4 strokes and say things like "they're all heavy when their stuck" and "Don't notice the extra hundred pounds with the power"... Just saying:face-icon-small-ton

A LOT of under educated people say things like my sled weights under 450lbs as if it makes a difference, even if it makes under 120 hp at elevation. Who cares how much it doesn't weigh if it doesn't make any power? If weight is the only factor that matters then why not buy a bike get a Timbersled mountain horse kit and have the lightest sled on the planet? If what your saying was true that combo would put the rest of the manufacturers out of business.

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
The key for me comes down to what Ryan Harris said about this sled. I have never read one good thing from him about these four strokes. He still said it felt a little heavier riding it but he did say it was a fun sled to ride. So weight aside if a guy like that gives it any kind of praise that says something I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
A LOT of under educated people say things like my sled weights under 450lbs as if it makes a difference, even if it makes under 120 hp at elevation. Who cares how much it doesn't weigh if it doesn't make any power? If weight is the only factor that matters then why not buy a bike get a Timbersled mountain horse kit and have the lightest sled on the planet? If what your saying was true that combo would put the rest of the manufacturers out of business.

The Yamaha doesn't make any power until you turbo it. They make less power. If you turbo the Yamaha you can turbo a 2 stroke. I am not sure what the new viper cost. You will have to add $3000 to get a turbo. You will have to add $4-5000 to get a pump gas turbo on the 2 stroke. You will have warranty with the Yamaha and not the 2. Both will put out the same power but one will be a bunch lighter and one will be more reliable unless you get unlucky and I have seen a couple unlucky ones. It comes down to what you are willing to sacrifice, weight or reliability. For me it is reliability because I don't keep a sled that long.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Proof that propaganda exists everywhere! What a joke. Let's put a turbo on the Yammi and use AC's made up BS about snow weight. Thanks to Chris for standing behind the propaganda. I've never seen that much snow stick to my Pro (w/ wrap) or buddies XM. Terrible thread.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Let's just chill and see how many are sold! Time will tell and the next season starts in 6 months, I sold a mm 700 that I had 4k into and it still beats my apex stock. I bought every light weight part from MPI I could, SLP pipes and the whole deal. The sleds are getting better and I don't care what anyone says, all brands rock compared to 20 years ago! :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features