• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REAL WEIGHT COMPARISON: Yamaha Viper vs RMK vs XM! (Video W/Ryan Harris from SnoWest)

F

Flatlander44

Oct 8, 2013
This is great news!!

I ride a 2012 pro. It does gain a lot of weight in snow but it's still the lightest and my favorite right now. I can and have rode all makes in the mountains. All are fun and you have to tweak your riding style for each. There is no real looser right now, especially if you are decent rider! I prefer to boondock and tree ride but getting on a turbo yami plain kicks a$$. Last year Yamaha put out a statement re-committing to the mountain segment and I can not wait to see what comes out in like 2019. They basically said that in 5 years they will be on top. Yamaha has the best fit and finish! Period. And you can't beat their reliability. Could you imagine a light weight turbo Yamaha? Rides and weights like a pro but has a 200 hp 4stroke. I'd be happy to pay 16-18k for this sled. Cheaper then a new motor every 1200 miLes. This year Yamaha took one step closer to this goal and I would like to ride one. I'm excited to see what the 2019 brings!!

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Sweet.
Thanks for offering your comments on what you saw the day the video was shot!

Haters gonna hate, no matter what they read to the contrary.

haters_gonna_hate_blue_sledders_com_t_shirt-r1f60028d8bbe4c45bee59a1d1d49b6a6_vj7bi_512.jpg

But clearly Yamaha IS MAKING PROGRESS in the right direction.!!

Ha...so true! Usually people hate when they are jealous or feeeeeel inadequate! I rarely see Yamaha supporters on the Artic Cat, Polaris, or Ski-Doo web sites bashing! All i know is my apex turbo is 3.1 lb/hp and nothing can touch it! If i want to ditchbang and finaggle in the trees all day I would probably buy a different name brand. But for all around riding when it comes to trail riding, boondocking, hillclimbing, reliability, etc. I'lll take a Yamaha day in, day out. I have ridden all four of these sleds and they are all great in their own way. This is one of the BETTER real world tests out there. Yamaha is listening more and more to the consumer and this is great for the sport! The next new mountain sled will be even better!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Brand Loyalty in Sleds is a strange thing.
Many riders seems unreasonably attached to a specific brand.
And the 2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke never ceases to amaze me.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Brand Loyalty in Sleds is a strange thing.
Many riders seems unreasonably attached to a specific brand.
And the 2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke never ceases to amaze me.
I don't know the truth of it, but it seems to me like people are scared that what happened to the bike world (4 strokes phasing out two strokes) will happen to sleds. It's, IMO, more of a resistance to change and fear that it's not for the better than a not liking them. Most I talk to about it haven't spent any seat time on a 4 stroke, or take the experience of a chassis they don't like and relate it to the motor and think of the sled as a whole not the individual components.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
Had 3 beers, drilled rivets, removed running boards and center section of tunnel, bead blasted, powder coated, re riveted, pat myself on the back and done.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I don't know the truth of it, but it seems to me like people are scared that what happened to the bike world (4 strokes phasing out two strokes) will happen to sleds. It's, IMO, more of a resistance to change and fear that it's not for the better than a not liking them. Most I talk to about it haven't spent any seat time on a 4 stroke, or take the experience of a chassis they don't like and relate it to the motor and think of the sled as a whole not the individual components.

Really I think it's just the fact that people need to b!tch and complain. That, and brand loyalty.
There is a big resurgence of 2-stroke people these last few years in the bike world. People want what they cannot have. And in the case that KTM does still make 2-strokes, people rest on their loyalties and b!tch about not having Red, Green, or Yellow choices.

Yamaha can come out with a 450lb 200hp sled and people will complain that they cannot get it from Polaris or Ski-Doo. Either way, you aren't swaying those idiotic loyalties. Much the same as political parties, domestic vs, foreign bikes, sports teams etc. We just have to accept that truely....there will be haters...

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Honestly who give a ffffff what they weigh. All the bickering is retarded, ride something and like it who cares. Either way 40lbs isn't going to make a difference when getting stuck or riding. You wont notice at all. Majority of the sledding community have become big sissys, just ride the darn things and appreciate how far your can go with it, Find the machine that feels best for you and your set. I rode a cat, poli and doo and it doesn't matter get accustomed to one and it will get you places, once in awhile you get a lemon.

From a mountain riding standpoint this post makes completely no sense what so ever. If you rode nothing but trails and sat on the seat the entire time maybe this would hold some merit.

S

snelson

Feb 12, 2011
Eagle River AK
I used to get build up on my running boards on my 2012 PRO, I switched to the Burandt boards and that helped a lot. I have not seen build up on my boards on my 2012 or 2014 like they managed in this video (after the Burandt boards). I think adding the starter and battery on the Polaris without initially saying anything was a little shady and hurt their presentation, most PRO riders buy the sled because its light, I have not to this day met anyone with an electric starter on their 800 PRO yet. (not to say its not out there) It seemed to me also that there was a little more "frosting" on the PRO (like the ski's) more so then what would be normal and snow conditions tend to vary (different temps/snow vary accumulation). I think that real world weight will still be a 70-100lb difference between a pro and a viper. That being said I cant wait to ride a boosted Viper. I love my PRO but I would leave her in a minute if Yamaha/Arctic Cat could actually make a 4stroke flickable, lightweight, tree riding monster. Paint me skeptical for now, I would really like to see some pro riders drive these things like Burandt or Skinner through trees and steep technical terrain. Have not seen that yet. Convince me!

Last edited:
E

Einar74

Oct 20, 2009
Iceland
There is definitely those people. No question. However don't lump them all into one group....

I don't think it is a passion problem. There is plenty of passion. I think you mean a passion in terms of having the latest, greatest, lightest, most HP/LB, trying to achieve the most performance for their buck.

In truth, there are a great many people who simply would not rather pull a cord. I know plenty of men and women who get that envious look in their eye when I reach over for the key to my Yamaha. The same look I give after a day of hard riding or a 30 minute exercise in digging out my Rev or Cat. The first half a dozen times I don't mind pulling over my 2-strokes. The other dozen or two dozen times I find myself weighing the pros and cons of E-Start with a lightweight battery.

At this point in my life, the weight issue is too great to bother with E-Start. But seeing my dad(mid 50's, Canadian Champion Oval Racer, Record Holder, small engine mechanic since he was 14yrs old) struggle after half a day in chest deep powder to pull on his 1 Liter 2-stroke, I can totally understand his want for a key. Passion is not the issue. He rides a sub-430lb Cat, and constantly looking on how to shave weight. But there comes a time where the pros of E-Start overcome the cons.

Just like the reason I have a Yamaha. The pros of more HP overcame the cons of more weight. I've teetered on this ledge for a long time. Hence the stable of sleds that includes both 2 and 4 strokes.

Edit:

Remember the time when we scoffed at sleds with reverse? Many of us swore never to have a sled equipped with reverse. And now look at us. Weight or not, take a poll on how many people would do without reverse anymore. Bet you see less than 10% would forego it.

I have full understanding that someone that is in is mid-50s and is still riding in where challenging terrain would want to have the comfort of e-start ( specially with a 1000cc)

But what I am saying is that people don´t study the sport.( when I say people I don´t mean everyone) . But I would say majority, simply make decisions based on some light thinking or what is cool or not or seeing manufactories advertising or listing to a salesman.

If we look at places like this one "snowmobile forums" I would say maybe less then 10% of snowmobilers are active users and have interest sharing and getting information.

Simply saying most people are not very deep into motorsport even though they think they are a motorsporter.

I live in Iceland and as an small island that don´t even has a race track. I don´t know of many people that study for exp motorcycle racing (motogp,world superbikes) even though having access to "satellite TV" is super easy.
They think they are bas *** motorcyclist on there GSXR 1000 or R1. But they don´t have a clue what is going on in the world of top level international
motorcycle racing. I have always find that strange if someone has real interest or passion for something they don´t have interest to know what is the best stuff or follow what is considered that highest level in your beloved "sport"

But I guess different thinks do it for different people. But to get for exp a "lightweight" snowmobile and even spend money making it lighter with some "cool" parts and then want a e-start because it is so comfortable is something that is beyond my understanding.

Another exp is people that wants to make the engine more powerful in a car. But at the same time want to add heavy sound systems, heavy body kits,big heavy wheels.
So the benefit of more horsepower and faster car is lost. But you can still say to someone you have that many horsepower.

Most people do motorsport because they think that is Cool.But have no real passion for performance.

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I ride a 2012 pro. It does gain a lot of weight in snow but it's still the lightest and my favorite right now. I can and have rode all makes in the mountains. All are fun and you have to tweak your riding style for each. There is no real looser right now, especially if you are decent rider! I prefer to boondock and tree ride but getting on a turbo yami plain kicks a$$. Last year Yamaha put out a statement re-committing to the mountain segment and I can not wait to see what comes out in like 2019. They basically said that in 5 years they will be on top. Yamaha has the best fit and finish! Period. And you can't beat their reliability. Could you imagine a light weight turbo Yamaha? Rides and weights like a pro but has a 200 hp 4stroke. I'd be happy to pay 16-18k for this sled. Cheaper then a new motor every 1200 miLes. This year Yamaha took one step closer to this goal and I would like to ride one. I'm excited to see what the 2019 brings!!

A lot of different opinions on here, but I think this really sums it up best. I have always loved the build quality and fit/finish that Yamaha has offered. The Viper is a step in the right direction, and I hope that they keep the hammer down and continue to push the technology and weight reduction. Regardless of what brand you like, competition benefits the entire industry along with every one of us who ride.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Really I think it's just the fact that people need to b!tch and complain. That, and brand loyalty.
There is a big resurgence of 2-stroke people these last few years in the bike world. People want what they cannot have. And in the case that KTM does still make 2-strokes, people rest on their loyalties and b!tch about not having Red, Green, or Yellow choices.

Yamaha can come out with a 450lb 200hp sled and people will complain that they cannot get it from Polaris or Ski-Doo. Either way, you aren't swaying those idiotic loyalties. Much the same as political parties, domestic vs, foreign bikes, sports teams etc. We just have to accept that truely....there will be haters...

Brand loyal??? Stroke loyal??? lol. Maybe some but not me. If Yamaha builds a 450lb 200hp 4s that works they would dominate the market.

Fact is the Pro is 125lbs lighter rtr without e-start than the Yamaha in the vid. I'll make my own conclusions on snow weight. Sorry, not buying the results when they pull up to the scales with 8" of snow on the skis, the a arms packed full and the Yami comes up looking like my girlfriend rode it all day. And yes I've rode with them all. No way any brand is carrying 80lbs more snow weight than the other.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
REAL WEIGHT COMPARISON: Yamaha Viper vs RMK vs XM! (Video W/Ryan Harris from ...

Flat Earthers.

433733503_640.jpg

No matter what you show them or who tells them otherwise, they KNOW the earth is flat.

I have now spoken with several people that were on this ride the day the video was taped and the sleds weighed. All attest to the authenticity of what was recorded after several hours of real riding in the mountains that day.

facts.jpg

Last edited:
O
Dec 6, 2007
The picture I love the most is the one in post 19 of this thread. It is of the PRO running boards plied with snow. Looks to me like the rider never moves his feet. All of that snow falls clean through the running boards on a '13 or 14 PRO. You do get some build-up in the back where it kicks up. That is clearly staged. The excess snow in the fornt suspension is also humorous. Looking at the still pics vs what I saw in the video with the PRO in the air is a huge difference once again. Plied on the skis, packed in the front end. Yet in the stills there is no snow packed in the front end. Marketing BS, you get the result you pay for. 124 lbs of snow? You guys honestly believe that?

I am happy Yammi is back. It will raise the game just like Polaris did with the PRO. When the 450 lb 200hp turbo 4-stroke hits the mountains from the factory I too will be on one, regardless of brand. For now, too heavy, too slow. If the comeback includes the word "turbo", tell me what you guys are getting quoted for a snow check turbo out the door. Then we can start talking apples to apples again.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
A LOT of Flat Earthers ride heavy 4 strokes and say things like "they're all heavy when their stuck" and "Don't notice the extra hundred pounds with the power"... Just saying:face-icon-small-ton

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
pm'ing 10,000 members to come to the yammi section is not brand loyal:)
FWIW..

I did not PM 10,000 members.
I sent a PM out to ONLY 2,000 members who's names appeared in 4 different major Yamaha Threads in the last month. My guess was that they would likely be interested in this thread based on the fact they had read the other 4 threads on similar subject.

But like I said early on.
I AM BIASED.

I looked at all the brands and all the sleds and made my choice to buy into Yamaha based on durability and longevity coming into this sport with absolutely NO BRAND LOYALTY or past ownership at all.

And I am happy to stand by that decision.
A Yamaha sled WILL outlast any other sled on the market.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A LOT of Flat Earthers ride heavy 4 strokes and say things like "they're all heavy when their stuck" and "Don't notice the extra hundred pounds with the power"... Just saying:face-icon-small-ton
I have to admit, I have never dug out a light sled!
ALL of them seem mighty heavy when they are buried several feet down! :face-icon-small-hap

Some are just MORE HEAVY than others!! :face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-sho

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010

Take a look back on the old threads when the XM was introduced.
The main comment was that it was heavier but when riding it you did not FEEL the weight the way the chassis was set up. And that is pretty accurate, but it sure is heavy when stuck but most love the XM and consider it a great Mountain sled..
If we all went by only riding light sleds everyone would be on the Pro Rmk

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
In short no in long noooooooooooooo

LOL are you shattin me!!? I gotta get a message about this!!?
So the yami gets a turbo to be comparable?? Oh Ok...$$$$...so since this REALLY IS NOT a apples to apples comparison.....
I'll stick with my pro with about $400 in a tunnel wrap some powder coating and anodizing and damn near no buildup at all

How about rolling the sleds hmmmm? That xm and pro are gonna be much easier...reality of most stucks...ski pulls, roll overs and dig out and reset track which your really not lifting that high if your doing it right...ski pulling that front end to point her back down the hill with that big ole 4 stroke motor?? No thanks

Awesome sled yami no doubt about it great for yami loyals but your not in the same category as the xm or pro on the mtn yet in my book...I'll take the xm or pro with some non void warranty aftermarket items at minimal $$ and still be ahead. :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features