• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Placer / Twenty-Mile

M

m7162

Oct 17, 2008
wasilla
going tomorrow should be great i bet theres lots of snow in the mountians will be sunny tomorrow

M
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
Travis, as much as I love you I hate you at the same time. Lucky bastard! Have fun, be safe and tell us all about it when you return.

If anyone is going this weekend, would love to go play there!

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rode Placer solo on a night ride. Was Safe. The Way up to squriell flats looks good But it could slide. Still kinda early to climb it. about 3 feet of powder back in the woods. Rode for about 2 hours. Watch out for the creek. its still open in spots.

Today at Placer

Well we are back from Placer and I am working on downloading the pics now. My crew met this morning at our new Placer Base Camp at 10:30 to do some work on the facility and to get ready for the opening. The USFS opened the area about noon and we were focused on going to Skookum.

We started up the Placer river to head towards the trussel bridge and tried some of our overland routes to find the alders thick and everywhere. We retreated to the river and headed towards the trussel. Once there we bushwacked our way along our normal route to find alders everywhere. We got thru and make Skookum but this is the lowest snow that I have ever been in there. I don't want to burst any bubbles, but the snow was not the best. Keep in mind that the valley is at sea level and not but a week ago it was wet! (No R*** words alowed). We are use to face shots on opening day in Placer, but not today.

Anyhow, we made the face of Skookum and there is NOT enough snow to go up onto the glacier. After lunch we made our way out in flat light back to the river. Once there we decided to head towards Spencer lake and see if it gets any deeper up there. Well the ditches and creeks are NOT filled in and the only way to travel there is next to the RR tracks (which is illeagal). The weather went white out and started to snow hard. We went back to our base camp, cutting alders along the way.

Have fun, be safe and try to refrain from zig and zaging arround the route we put in. We have no authority out there and don't own the place, just put alot of time and effort into making a route that is safe for our clients. It is hard when there are 1000 tracks going on and off our route. Thank you in advance for your understanding on this.

Ok, enough talk and I will start downloading and resizing the pics.

Chris

Rode Placer solo on a night ride. Was Safe. The Way up to squriell flats looks good But it could slide. Still kinda early to climb it. about 3 feet of powder back in the woods. Rode for about 2 hours. Watch out for the creek. its still open in spots.

Was it still snowing? Could you still see our tracks? You should call me some time and ride with us!!!!!

Chris

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
batch converter

You can download Irfanview it's a free batch converter. Allows you to resize as many pic's at once as you would like. This is a sweet easy to use program, and a quick download.
Good Luck

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I'm headed there in the morning traveling alone. You want a lift? Mssg me back here or you can call me at 244-7567.
Mike

I know its late, but thanks for the invite mike. Im already meeting up with C-bolt at 9 and heading to placer. Holler if you see us. Ill be on a red and black REV.

Alaska snow safaris - If you want to be able to put full size photos up on the forum easily, then you should get a photobucket account. Its extremely easy and free. Nice pics by the way!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Just got back from placer. Rode with LiveAlaska and C-Bolt. I had a good time. Good guys, a little carnage, cant complain. Alaska snow safaries snow report pretty much sums it up. We made it to Spencer glacier, and the snow doesnt get any beter that way.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Placer Today

Just got back from placer. Rode with LiveAlaska and C-Bolt. I had a good time. Good guys, a little carnage, cant complain. Alaska snow safaries snow report pretty much sums it up. We made it to Spencer glacier, and the snow doesnt get any beter that way.

Thanks guys for the ride. Definitely will be waiting for another large dump before returning to Placer.

Placer C-Bolt and akmclean 001.jpg Placer C-Bolt and akmclean 003.jpg

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska

I was there too, I wonder if I saw you guys. what do you guys ride?

Premium Features