• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pics from Cantwell...

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
Is it $70 per truck or per sled?

Here is to the Ahtna permit pricing page http://ahtna.lands.googlepages.com/permits if you also go look at there maps they have a lot of open area land locked to them owning the property nearest to the road. I just think its crazy that they want to charge money, when you know that they will never be able to profit when there paying people to put up several hundred no trespassing signs, and also patrolling the parking lots. I think its just a way for the corporation to make more jobs for the people, and try to justify it. All I can say is thanks again Mr. Murkoski.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Here is to the Ahtna permit pricing page http://ahtna.lands.googlepages.com/permits if you also go look at there maps they have a lot of open area land locked to them owning the property nearest to the road. I just think its crazy that they want to charge money, when you know that they will never be able to profit when there paying people to put up several hundred no trespassing signs, and also patrolling the parking lots. I think its just a way for the corporation to make more jobs for the people, and try to justify it. All I can say is thanks again Mr. Murkoski.

funny but as I understand the law..you cannot have private property without right of way access..somewhere in all that land there is legal access...law requires it..we need a sledding lawyer for sure....(the reason for this law is who ever owns the property behind it has right of access...otherwise a person/corperation could buy all road front property and close access(or as they are doing charge for access)thus controlling /denying legal use..there has to be a legal right of way....

I
Nov 26, 2007
Did they post the signs at the airport so that no one would park there, or to just let people to know not to ride on the runway. Also on a more serious note, I believe the Igloo parking lot is no longer plowed out because of someone highmarking the igloo a couple of years back and causing damage. And I was also wondering if anyone has decided to pay Ahtna there fees to ride on our land yet???

I'm not sure on the signs at the airport, I'm waiting for someone else to park there first and find out if they're writing tickets.

I believe the igloo isn't plowed anymore because they closed the gas station there and they don't want to do a charity service for snowmachiners.

Does anyone know who owns the igloo or how to get in touch with them? It's obviously abandoned, and in serious disrepair but I would consider making an offer for the land it's on.

As far as ahtna they can kiss my ***. I won't pay them to access land they don't own. I have no interest in riding their half mile of land next to the highway except to get back to the public land.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks
I guess the words land locked might be wrong, but you do have to go way out of the way on your ride to ride the public lands but stay off of thiers. At least thats the way I look at it on there map. As for the igloo, I believe the state plowed that parking lot for at least one season after the gas station shut down. It sure was a nice place to park though, since the mine trail parking lot gets packed with people. I could be wrong on that issue, as I am wrong on a frequent basis.lol. I sure would be nice if there ended up being a lodge right there that opened up, I was told this week the reason why the igloo never opened as a hotel was that it didnt pass fire code, do to escape concerns?

R
Nov 27, 2008
Was out by the igloo yesterday. Snow wasn't all that great. Hard pack with 6-8 inches on top. Had a few sled mishaps but nothing major. It started snowing as we came back and then dumping near petersville road. Planning on heading back up tonight with the RV and staying through til monday. Hopefully it clears up by then. If not we'll just play around in the trees.:) If anyone wants to meet up I'm driving the E-350 winnebago Two dragons one 700 black and one 800 white.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River AK
Does anyone know who owns the igloo or how to get in touch with them? It's obviously abandoned, and in serious disrepair but I would consider making an offer for the land it's on.

Thats a good idea. Ive had a crush on buying that place since I first drove by it years ago.

I sure would be nice if there ended up being a lodge right there that opened up, I was told this week the reason why the igloo never opened as a hotel was that it didnt pass fire code, do to escape concerns?

Thats what Ive heard as well. Its really an ingenious idea for a tourist attraction. What lower 48er wouldn't want to visit a giant igloo? Its got alot of potential for both summer and winter use.

R
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah that is true that the igloo never passed because there is only one way in or out. I think they should just put slides on the outside next to each window. That would be fun and safe:D

I
Nov 26, 2007
I would think a fire escape ladder running out of each window would have passed code...but if it was that simple they probably would have done it.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Snow was good to the east, great to the west, a little overcast saturday, sunday was excellent. The camera died first thing Saturday but we got some great video after I get the cable's to hook up and download.

To the azzhat with the blue ford and the moose light's pulling the 2 place on the way back to the banks, if you ever come up behind me with those ****ing light's on again I'll chase your azz down and feed them to ya....dig it! :cool:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Snow was good to the east, great to the west, a little overcast saturday, sunday was excellent. The camera died first thing Saturday but we got some great video after I get the cable's to hook up and download.

To the azzhat with the blue ford and the moose light's pulling the 2 place on the way back to the banks, if you ever come up behind me with those ****ing light's on again I'll chase your azz down and feed them to ya....dig it! :cool:

hopefully a trooper catches him running them on the road.If he does it is a big ticket for running off road lights on the road....too much chance of blinding oncoming trafic and making them crash...

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Pics from Sunday. Snow was good and the sun showed up for a bit. Great ride!

cantwelljosh.jpg

cantwellsnow.jpg

cantwellsnow2.jpg

C
Jan 13, 2009
Palmer AK
There is no way a native corp or anyone other than the State owns the right of way which includes the parking lots.If anyone parks their and gets a ticket for parking their, you take it to court and the fine sticks, let me know and I,ll pay the ticket.
This offer is only good for the first one to call them on this crap.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

mile 190. Is that right before cantwell in the big flats or what? I guess it will be apparent when I get there and see all the snow.

Premium Features