• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

patriot vs doo vs alpha

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Do you happen a vid of the speedo on these 850 47-49mph track speed climbs? How about the 41 mph 800 speedo? Funny cuz Burandts turbo 850 only gets 41mph track speed in a good, slow speed chew. It’s not believable unless it’s on vid bud.

On my old 2011 m8 162 in a honest deep sno chew i would get 41 mph, the 2011 pro would be 37 ish, burandts turbo 41 mph??? Ill find out his real trax speed cause the guys in my circle ride with him, they provide him with his tbo when he rides here in the shuswap at griz lodge, i suspect his track speed is over 50 mph.
I will post his track speed, ill text my contact here to find out.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Have you compared yours to a 3 inch poo 850? Too bad you didn't have one there to see if burandts claim is right.

Last couple of weekends in deep utah fluffy snow, the 2.6" walked all over the 3" on the 850 poo's. Wasn't even close. I looped back several times to dig him out. I even passed him up some creek bottoms. Not sure what his clutch setup is, but on the lake drag in 12" powder at the end of the day going home, i was an easy 6 sled lengths in front. We switched sleds several times on the drag race and results were the same.
Additionally, I have ridden them all 155,163 3" and 2.6" back to back to back to back. I ended up buying the 163 2.6" this year. It seemed to pair best with the 840 motor. And i was a staunch 155" guy. I do miss my 155, especially pillow popping and jumping, i can feel the tail drag on the 163 more than I like to admit. But I love the 163 for everything else in the jungle. Can a guy get a 159?

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
hahahaha well played sir

if he is wrong, what are your measurements?

Beings they both have a tunnel that houses a 15” wide track, and have the same side clearance, and both have virtually the same width boards, granted he’s talking the ascender platform, there is very little difference at all. I’d ride either, but to claim that the cat is wider by anywhere near that margin (3”) is not true. And if your riding with your feet up in the sturrups where they contact the brake guard or chain case your either trail riding or in a very uncommon position.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
Wrong, get a tape measure.

Beings they both have a tunnel that houses a 15” wide track, and have the same side clearance, and both have virtually the same width boards, granted he’s talking the ascender platform, there is very little difference at all. I’d ride either, but to claim that the cat is wider by anywhere near that margin (3”) is not true. And if your riding with your feet up in the sturrups where they contact the brake guard or chain case your either trail riding or in a very uncommon position.

First,
take both sleds and put them on there sides in the shop and measure before making assumptions.

The bottom of the cat tunnel is 5/8-3/4” thick at the bottom. (2 layers of aluminum in the front)

That’s 1 1/2” right there.

Then the width of the running boards plus body panels wrapped around them. (The other 1 1/2”)

It’s a bunch of small differences in width that add up to a sled not sticking to a sidehill as well as the skinnier sled.

Personally i ride a lot with my feet all the way forward on the running boards. (Steep terrain requires it). Especially on the MC and alpha since they turn uphill (wash out) easier than an axys.

The brake and chaincase both get it the way when doing this.

Yes the alpha/ mc is very close to the axys in mellow (er) terrain.

No it’s not the same.

The differences become highlighted the steeper it gets.

Reactions: Overthehood

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Wide,low,heavy snowplow....awesome LOL
I’ll deal with wide, low, heavy snowplow that doesn’t explode crank bearings and
Grind rings and pistons to powdered alloy because of the grinding stone like finish on its nikasil cylinders.

Reactions: CATDIESELPOWER

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
First,
take both sleds and put them on there sides in the shop and measure before making assumptions.

The bottom of the cat tunnel is 5/8-3/4” thick at the bottom. (2 layers of aluminum in the front)

That’s 1 1/2” right there.

Then the width of the running boards plus body panels wrapped around them. (The other 1 1/2”)

It’s a bunch of small differences in width that add up to a sled not sticking to a sidehill as well as the skinnier sled.

Personally i ride a lot with my feet all the way forward on the running boards. (Steep terrain requires it). Especially on the MC and alpha since they turn uphill (wash out) easier than an axys.

The brake and chaincase both get it the way when doing this.

Yes the alpha/ mc is very close to the axys in mellow (er) terrain.

No it’s not the same.

The differences become highlighted the steeper it gets.

My alpha is 30” wide where the boards meet the plastic. That’s with bdx boards, they are narrower than stock by 1/2” per side. Like I said, I’d gladly ride either sled, and don’t have time to mess with this silly business. Ride what makes you happy. My brake and chain case never have been in my way and usually my feet are on the outer edge for leverage anyway. I’m no stranger to steep terrain btw. I have a set of axys boards in the garage, I’d have to go measure them again but I though they were around 6 or 6.25” wide where they would meet the plastic, so id have to measure them on the sled to get an overall but I’m short an axys chassis sadly. Rode an 850 163 2.6 this weekend for a bit. I like it and felt good on it, but I’ve had 15 years on Polaris so that is a given I guess. In a drag race (not that it matters but he was the one calling for it, i don’t care who wins there) I jumped about 2 lengths on him and held it, I’m 240# he’s I’d say 160, I gave it up to traction being the slight advantage, I had a 154, his was the 163 mentioned. In all the other terrain, they both performed amazingly well, and like I keep saying, neither would be a bad choice. Both sleds were well out of break in and we both have stupid smiles riding them. Sorry if I came off like a dick, I apologize for that.

Last edited:

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
Well let me tell ya. my sled is a 440 high powered sled 25 inc wide 350 hp. 185 inc 3.6 claws on her. she will climb anything but a steep ditch bank. so there ya go.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
yes kittycat. It's just that I have the utmost respect for you and your infinite knowledge of everything polaris that everytime you bash them, it just tears me up. I just have to keep telling myself to stay strong, don't let them see you cry

:eyebrows:

I’m not really as much a cat fanboy as you think, being as I’ve only owned one for 10 days!! Guess what I had before? Ya Polaris. I’ve had few issues since the early 80’s with Polaris sleds and Atv’s. I’m guessing I’ve owned a whole lot more Polaris stuff then you have, since I had my first poo about the time you were being whelped. And I’m guessing I DO probably have a lot more infinite knowledge of Polaris then you do too since I’ve been around them a hell of a lot longer. So go ahead and tear up and cry all you want, you will anyway you little snowflake. ?

Last edited:

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I've owned all three sleds. Still have a 165 Gen4 850. Was on an Axys 850 for 2 months, I love tree riding and it performed well in the nastiest terrain I could find (polaris really needs to clean up the low end with a new map, but overall really good sled). I recently traded the Axys 850 in for an Alpha. The Alpha is hands down more fun to ride, nothing handles like it on the market. I've only been out for a few rides on the Alpha but purposely have been putting it in very steep terrain to compare it to the Axys 850 I had. So far the Alpha gets a gold star, very impressive how much forward momentum that track gets in the steep stuff. Without proper throttle control the Alpha can washout pretty quick but will stick to any line if piloted right. The Alpha is a very capable sled and just plain fun. The Axys chassis does not have the strong hold like it once had as being "the sled" in steep terrain. Just my opinion.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
How much money do you have to lose? If it’s enough to cover my travel expenses Ill drive right to your front door. Etransfer will work fine before I depart. Make any mod you you want except for a turbo. I’ll give you twice the amount back if you can beat me. Pm me and Ill give you my email. It’s an old clapped out 16 174 Doo tho. Just to make it interesting, I’ll double someone on a steep and deep climb to even the playing field. I’m not even joking. I will ride two up in this race. How could you say no to this great offer? It’d be like getting paid to sled!!!! Woohoo!!

Wow bud that just goes to show how ignorent you are... you must not know a thing about or ridden with someone on a 850 polairs... between you and cat man must be doubleing buddies when your not climbing... so who goes in front and whos in the rear? Or do u ride face to face? Thats cool nothing agenst you...

Reactions: Boreal and edgey

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Wow bud that just goes to show how ignorent you are... you must not know a thing about or ridden with someone on a 850 polairs... between you and cat man must be doubleing buddies when your not climbing... so who goes in front and whos in the rear? Or do u ride face to face? Thats cool nothing agenst you...

This would be so much funnier if you could spell....

G
Nov 1, 2018
Yesterday I had the chance to ride with 160 inch class alpha and doo 850 vs my 850 2.6 , all of us very experienced riders that ride a lot and live in the bc mountians and are close in age and weight. The guy on the alpha wanted to race up a untouched face with aprox 16 inches of fresh, we decided to go one at a time for safety reasons, but it was agreeded that we would start at the base of the slope, no run. The cat went first, he got aprox 3/4 way up, started to trench and wheelie and turned out, second was the doo and the results were close to the same as the cat, I went last and I blew completely over the top, with no trenching or ski lifting, I came back down with perma grin under my helmet. The doo guy says to me, your sled is like a tractor and stays flat, he did mention to me that he had shorten his strap by one hole to prevent ski lift, the cat guy is under his skid trying to lock out his skid and had no comment to me lol. The doo guy also commented on how well my sled can hold a edge on some long sidehill. Towards the end of the day, both myself and the cat guy were tired in the arms, mind u, I rode way more aggressive than the other 2 guys did as I was on a mission to show how awesome the pol 850 is, but considering the alpha is supposed to be easy to ride, at the end of the day, he was just as tired as I was. The snow was harder underneath and made for a hard day of riding, honestly I prefer to not ride when the sno is like that. One thing I can say about this sled vs my 800 axys is, I can hold a steeper sidehill and hang way higher with confidance. I wished I had filmed the whole thing and next time I will, so tks pol for making such a great sled.

Yeah I'm not seeing the same at all. The new 850 is great but I'm not beating any of my buddies on their Alphas. I've always ridden Polaris and they've treated me well and I'll probably always ride Polaris but I'm man enough to say when something has an edge on my 850 and the Alpha has that. I don't know what they've done with that 800 but I'm hoping Polaris can capture the same lightning in their bottle.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Yeah I'm not seeing the same at all. The new 850 is great but I'm not beating any of my buddies on their Alphas. I've always ridden Polaris and they've treated me well and I'll probably always ride Polaris but I'm man enough to say when something has an edge on my 850 and the Alpha has that. I don't know what they've done with that 800 but I'm hoping Polaris can capture the same lightning in their bottle.

Blasphemy!!!!

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001

First post who created an alter ego/ fake account???

Premium Features