• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P22 or P85

If Polaris offered the option for Boost and 9R would you opt for the P85

• Yes

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 6 11.5%

• Total voters
I would not make the switch, the roller bearing on the p22 is a game changer for low end response, the ability for low engagement and low end snap is awesome. No more messing around with deflection is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! already in the process, the p85 would have been on my boost if it showed up. It will be on my 9r with trs clutching. Seeing how my p22 shives have groves in them close to the bearing. and my spider is sloppy when the bolt is removed. And All 5 boost i ride with have had the p22 blow apart, I dont think the p22 is even a good paper weight.

Reliability is more important than presumed performance. My TRS set up has worked flawlessly on my 20 RMK and it clearly has improved belt life and performance over stock. Although Our 3 Boost sleds have had no issues with P22 and work well, I will likely use the P85 on my 9R unless directed to do otherwise by Tony…

Reliability is more important than presumed performance. My TRS set up has worked flawlessly on my 20 RMK and it clearly has improved belt life and performance over stock. Although Our 3 Boost sleds have had no issues with P22 and work well, I will likely use the P85 on my 9R unless directed to do otherwise by Tony…
But would you not prefer the P22 to work, since it is lighter, a better bushing desigh for the ramp weights and self adjusting? I know it is the devil you don't know as apposed to the devil you know but I bet it will be better for 23 and have more tuning options coming.

I would aslo like the p22 to work as good or better then the p85, and be more reliable. But until then I'll use a p85.

But would you not prefer the P22 to work, since it is lighter, a better bushing desigh for the ramp weights and self adjusting? I know it is the devil you don't know as apposed to the devil you know but I bet it will be better for 23 and have more tuning options coming.
I sure would. Like most things Polaris, hopefully year 2 fixes all the issues identified last year. If the weaknesses were fixed, my only concern would be the belt to sheave clearances, and sheave design as Tony has alluded to. One would think neither is a bridge too far.

Poo has too much riding on the P22 to not address the issues and expand it's use. Same old story of getting production-tooled clutches and a new design into the hands of the consumer R&D team. Poo has great pride in the P85, rightfully so, and won't waste their rep on the P22 issues for long, but it will take another season or two, and maybe a revised Team. Those of us who have owned and tuned doos and cats know the other side of the coin - poo spoiled alot of diehard poo owners clutch-wise. So did Yamaha and they had motors, too, but that ship is sinking/sunk. In the interim - the P85 is a great option - very fortunate to have the alternative. Glass half full...

Ofcourse I would like the P22 to work! But agree with Reg2view, that it will Take more time before they are dialled in.
Im sure Tony will inform us when he has confidence in the P22…
Luckily my riding partners are not as fussy as I am, so will continue to Guinea Pig the P22 next season!!

This is what my clutch looks like every ride with the p22, and same with the others I ride with. How much hp is left on the table over a p85?

20220206_102003.jpg

Last edited:
Most people have no idea there is a difference, they just assume the 22 is better because it’s newer.

Premium Features

Back