• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-22 failure on 9R

T
Nov 11, 2008
The p22 price keeps going up. In 2022 my p85 was $750 cnd. And a p22 $760 cnd.
Last year I paid $850 cad for a p-85. Online looks to be the same price today

The non estart p-22 says $704
i looked yesterday and the part spec shows a 10.9 grade bolt. are these the new ones?
the bolt was already 10.9. The bolts I bought in January were 10.9.

Here is a screen shot from early January IMG_1342.png

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Military grade is just whomever can meet spec the cheapest. There's no such thing as a military grade bolt.

10.9 is metric, and it's comparable to grade 8 sae.

The wives tales that continue when Google exists is scary.
As someone that was in the miltary for over a decade, military grade should be a warning, not an accolade.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Military grade is just whomever can meet spec the cheapest. There's no such thing as a military grade bolt.

10.9 is metric, and it's comparable to grade 8 sae.

The wives tales that continue when Google exists is scary.
I can personally attest! Built by the lowest bidder and likely to be pretty old and busted by the time it came into my hands. The planes I fly now still have the same archaic (and de-certified) GPS as the ones I first flew 18 years ago; maybe we'll get a new one when those planes are all older than the students flying them - you aughta be a Colonel before you get to fly something younger than you! The good news on the old stuff is most of the ways it can break have been discovered, so pick your poison.

Oh, and don't get me started on guys who go camping with military gear - ya like 70lbs on your back?! Me, I want CIA contractor grade - you know, the stuff used by the guys who get the call when something needs broken or someone needs killed by definitely not the US government.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
I am still not sure it is the bolts issue...why is the clutch getting loose??? here is one reason I think is, first of all the clutch bolt tightens too a sleeve that fits into the fixed sheave, being held tight on the fixed sheave with a thin rubber O ring...without that the sleeve rattles around loose...next is the sleeve has a shoulder built into it that tightens to the alum spider that is located by a alum spline to a steel spline....I feel the clutch bolt direct to the fixed sheave. So many issued with this P22 clutch. plus the tappers must not be exact!!! take a 800 clutch tighten it and you could run that clutch with out a clutch bolt!!!! I also said the clutch taper could have oil still on it from shipping in a container from China. (there is the issue) cheap made as well. zero heat treating to the sheaves either...I could go on and on!!!! this P22 cost less than the P85 to Polaris...I know the price they pay for each....

F
Dec 30, 2019
Wonder if it could be a dissimilar metal rate of thermal expansion thing? Is the P-22 made of a different Chinesium composition that the P-85?

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
I am still not sure it is the bolts issue...why is the clutch getting loose??? here is one reason I think is, first of all the clutch bolt tightens too a sleeve that fits into the fixed sheave, being held tight on the fixed sheave with a thin rubber O ring...without that the sleeve rattles around loose...next is the sleeve has a shoulder built into it that tightens to the alum spider that is located by a alum spline to a steel spline....I feel the clutch bolt direct to the fixed sheave. So many issued with this P22 clutch. plus the tappers must not be exact!!! take a 800 clutch tighten it and you could run that clutch with out a clutch bolt!!!! I also said the clutch taper could have oil still on it from shipping in a container from China. (there is the issue) cheap made as well. zero heat treating to the sheaves either...I could go on and on!!!! this P22 cost less than the P85 to Polaris...I know the price they pay for each....

I would think it would be the taper would be the biggest culprit wouldn’t it? The Polaris clutches I dealt with in the past you slide a P85 onto the crank without bolting it on and immediately try to pull it off you can’t, you need the clutch puller. Don’t think it’s the crank side it’s the manufacturer of the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
Wonder if it could be a dissimilar metal rate of thermal expansion thing? Is the P-22 made of a different Chinesium composition that the P-85?
yes it is totally different alum...I have drilled thousands of P85 and the make up of the P22 is so much softer!!! there is zero heat treating..this has been mentioned to Polaris...What most dont know is the P22 fixed sheave is not balanced at all...thats why you see no index marks. you should always see them on a removable sheave clutch...

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Using a bolt to hold the clutch together, and having to withstand the forces of a shifting clutch is bad engineering. The problem will not cease until
they recapture the spider and outer sheave in a traditional manner.
Can you expand on your thoughts?

psychosledder73

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Fernie BC
Can you expand on your thoughts?
The bolt is holding the entire cllutch together against a lot of force not sure on exact numbers . The bolt is stretching slowly and cracking . You can tell just by looking at bolt break area it tells the story. The p85 and normal clutches use a large nut to hold the clutch together against lateral thrust . The clutch bolts only intention is to hold the clutch into the tappered interference fit and rotational force. Not take shifting thrust. Look at a normal clutch breakdown you will see it is superior in every way . They won't stop ejecting clutches until they stop this bad design

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Add another one to the list. Wife's 9r with only a couple hundred miles since the recall work. Had to double out and have a large recovery mission attempt planned tomorrow.

Did you call the Heli? Post pics, the Shareholders love seeing them. Polaris is busy printing stickers right now.
Chilly keeps telling me these P-22 fails are all fake news.

Premium Features