• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

List of Turbo pro issues

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Ok Im going to start this thread to try and help guys out on the Turbo Pro:
Please help everyone out by adding to the list, alot of common problems out there that will help everyone,Im sure I'll miss alot of them.

Reasons for hitting det sensor:
1) Low octane
2) To High of compression for boost levels (see up to 6 psi and 3 degrees timing pulled from 4500/4800-8500rpm linear will work on most air/air and non intercooled kits)

3) To Lean
4) To Rich (det Lash)
5) excessive vibration(engine rubbing,loose motor mount etc:)
6) Over reving ( not enough weight in primary) clutch issues
7) To high of intake temp 200+ degrees
8) TPS calibration out of wack( on 2012 check for water underneath tps boot at the TPS sensor)
9) Low fuel pressure
10) Bad fuel filter
11) Tank vent plugged (seen it once now,pinched line after install)

Other Fueling concerns/issues:

Dobeck box-
A)Dobeck style boxes (attitude,Pure logic etc:) the box should scroll on start up. When the box scrolls it should do it fairly quick and return to the solid green light at the number 1 position. If the box takes some time to return to the number 1 green position it may be an indicator that the tps needs to be calibrated.

B) Another test for turbo setup is to remove the boost line and blow into the boost reference line going into the box and it should flood the engine,if not your boost sensor inside the box may be bad or some other issue.

Boondocker Box-
A) As of this year I only know of a few different issues with the Boondocker,hopefully you guys can add to this write up. EBC fails and causes engine shutdown or inaccurate boost readings (controlling issues). The wiring harness plays a major role having bad pinouts or grounding issues causing failures in the electronics. Hook up factory injector wiring and see if problem persists at low rpm.

Guys please add to this because there are more issues, I cant remember all of them.

Electronics issues-
2012 Polaris pro:
The 2012 pro seems to have the most issues to date over the 2011, what I have found is that the velcro wrap above the primary clutch holds moisture ,by removing the velcro wrap it lets the moisture disperse. Another idea is to use Dielectric grease on all the connectors including the TPS to rid some of those issues. Dont forget about the speed sensor wires and fuel pump wires located on the left side in front of the gas tank and the chassis relay located above throttle bodies just below the hood.

P.S. Dielectric grease is not a cure all,if anyone has a better product than dielectric please speak up. I know in the past there has been differences in opinion on using it.

This is what we have discovered on the Polaris Pro's so far while testing with the Vi-pec. The polaris electronics specifically the TPS,speed sensor and reverse switch itself plus the pinout at the ECU are a issue. Make sure all grounds are tight at the shock tower (front left) and the bolts which hold the clutch cover are also very tight.

Voltage issues- So far we have seen bad stators, bad voltage regulators,loose grounds. Check to see how many amps your electronics are pulling from the system. If you are getting a low volt light on the dash it could be any of these issues above including overload on the lighting coil side of that stator. Remove one item (like your 02 sensor and see if it goes away).Might be an indicator of low power source. Also seen to low of RPM at idle will cause this light to come on, but remember raising the idle to much may affect your TPS which will intern affect your reverse function.

I will add more as it comes to mind,remember this is a tool for everyone so please share your experiences. Hope this helps someone along the way to a boosted future :)

Added on 1/28/12:
After testing Boost on the Vipec I think we have figured out a couple interesting things. The pro is very sensitive when it comes to overreving and then nailing the DET sensor. We have been testing with a UDX datalogger which is used on alot of funny cars and top fuel dragsters so it is definitely very fast but the tach signal is wierd because the there are so many poles on the stator that it seems if the signal speed is slow. After datalogging with The Vipec ECU I recalled the statistics on the ECU and it showed the highest we ever reved was 8937 RPM and we did a recall on the RMK dash and the highest it showed was just over 8300.

Another issue we are addressing right now is timing: The timing on the pro itself as a stock setup or slightly modified is not an issue. The timing curve for those setups is spot on. Boosted timing setup is where we see the issue, at midrange cruise throttle with almost every setup we have seen they run cool on the pipe and as soon as you hit the throttle to advance the pipe is cold and when pipe heats back up quickly you hit the Det sensor. The Vipec is an awesome tool for this because we are able to make a advanced ignition table to correct this issue. More info to come

Last edited:
I

IQRTurbo

Dec 2, 2010
Central MN
Plug Fouling

I have noticed several threads about fouled plugs and had a similar issue come out of nowhere after running fine one day. My Silber pro had been running great and immidiatly began to drop a cylinder at half throttle and whould not pull through of clean out. A keep-it-simple inspection of everything revealed that my tube to the cold air intake had pushed itself up into the intake plenum just a bit too far through some jumping or rough trail bumps and was getting restricted by the roof of the hood. Pulling it down had an immediate result and it ran perfect again with a new set of plugs. I placed a large zip tie about an inch and a half below the top of the tube where the knock would hit the rectangle inlet to keep it from pushing in and it has never happened again.

Just one of those simple things that can be caught early to save a bunch of tail chasing.

Love my Silber PRO!

snow4shover

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Belgrade, Mt
Dobeck box-
A)Dobeck style boxes (attitude,Pure logic etc:) the box should scroll on start up. When the box scrolls it should do it fairly quick and return to the solid green light at the number 1 position. If the box takes some time to return to the number 1 green position it may be an indicator that the tps needs to be calibrated.

This is the controller's cold start mode. This means the controller will not be altering the fuel at all. This is when the pressure sensor calibrates to Atmosphere. The scroll time changes for every private that use our "Dobeck Boxes". Silber's is around 3 seconds, others use 5 seconds and some don't even scroll. The controller's scroll time has nothing to do with the TPS. On Pro RMKs the draw on the system at start up can cause the controller to restart the scroll time if the sled is struggling to run.

B) Another test for turbo setup is to remove the boost line and blow into the boost reference line going into the box and it should flood the engine,if not your boost sensor inside the box may be bad or some other issue.

This will test if the controller is seeing boost. DO NOT PULL THE HOSE OFF THE CONTROLLER. The black hose is super glued on and the Blue hose will break the sensor off the board.

Electronics issues-
2012 Polaris pro:
The 2012 pro seems to have the most issues to date over the 2011, what I have found is that the velcro wrap above the primary clutch holds moisture ,by removing the velcro wrap it lets the moisture disperse. Another idea is to use Dielectric grease on all the connectors including the TPS to rid some of those issues. Dont forget about the speed sensor wires and fuel pump wires located on the left side in front of the gas tank and the chassis relay located above throttle bodies just below the hood.

P.S. Dielectric grease is not a cure all,if anyone has a better product than dielectric please speak up. I know in the past there has been differences in opinion on using it.

Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. So if you get a layer on the pins you will have connection issues. Dielectric grease if used should only be used on the seals for connections. These connectors are all weatherpac connections so moisture should not be able to get into the connector.

Last edited:
S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
This is the controller's cold start mode. This means the controller will not be altering the fuel at all. This is when the pressure sensor calibrates to Atmosphere. The scroll time changes for every private that use our "Dobeck Boxes". Silber's is around 3 seconds, others use 5 seconds and some don't even scroll. The controller's scroll time has nothing to do with the TPS. On Pro RMKs the draw on the system at start up can cause the controller to restart the scroll time if the sled is struggling to run.

This will test if the controller is seeing boost. DO NOT PULL THE HOSE OFF THE CONTROLLER. The black hose is super glued on and the Blue hose will break the sensor off the board.

Dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. So if you get a layer on the pins you will have connection issues. Dielectric grease if used should only be used on the seals for connections. These connectors are all weatherpac connections so moisture should not be able to get into the connector.

You are correct on these things I should have clarified, what do you suggest for the connectors because they arent keeping moisture out very well? I would think there is something out there that would help us out.

Last edited:
S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
proper idle setting with EBC, TPS becoming an issue

Dealer was struggling getting my Reverse to work. He would get the TPS in spec with the EBC and the box and with the recommended settings couldn't get the Reverse to then engage.
I will know more tomorrow, when I ride it.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Dealer was struggling getting my Reverse to work. He would get the TPS in spec with the EBC and the box and with the recommended settings couldn't get the Reverse to then engage.

let me know what you find... my tps is in spec but my sled idles high...could it be the extra fart of airpressure coming from the turbo pushing the TB's open a little more?

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
let me know what you find... my tps is in spec but my sled idles high...could it be the extra fart of airpressure coming from the turbo pushing the TB's open a little more?

I dont think thats the issue but cant say I have ever looked at this as an issue, is it lean on the idle circuit or have a hole in a reference line somewhere? great feedback guys keep it going.,..

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
Has anybody tried adding a battery into the system to try and regulate these voltage issues.

I can add to this a bit, I currently have a water pump, UDX datalogger gauge, extra 02 gauge and sensor on my 2012 pro and it reads a very steady 16.02 volts no issue .Although I had a point in time where the voltages would spike to 0 and it was happening in one millisecond and back to 16.02 volts. Datalogging at 50hz with the Vipec revealed this issue and it was a bad ground on the bulkhead by the shock tower.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
I dont think thats the issue but cant say I have ever looked at this as an issue, is it lean on the idle circuit or have a hole in a reference line somewhere? great feedback guys keep it going.,..

id say it's rich at idle .. 14.1 on AFR... now whats that reference line?

Ephratafarmer

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ephrata, Wa
Has anybody tried adding a battery into the system to try and regulate these voltage issues.

Good point or good ?, the old man has E-Start on his and has bypast many of these little problems, haven't got to ride it a bunch ( 165 miles ) but idles and runs good so far.

D

dschwindt

Feb 28, 2009
Alberta
The only problem I am having with my BD turbo pro is it will not idle when cold. It floods itself out with too much fuel at idle. It did not do this when it was stock.

D

dschwindt

Feb 28, 2009
Alberta
Mine is going out tomorrow too so we will see. Other than the idle thing mine runs great on 50/50 av premium. Has anyone contacted boondocker about the idle is it possible for the control box to add fuel at idle.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007

I just had this problem....rev worked fine....bumped the idle up to 2100 and the rev wouldn't work anymore even when the engine would run back down to 1700.....readjusted the idle back to factory and the rev worked again....TPS is set correctly too.

A

aus091

Dec 25, 2008
ive got a stock 2012 assault and a bd turbo 2012 assault, and they both run terribly at a cold idle. I dont think you guys have much to worry about in that respect.

D

dschwindt

Feb 28, 2009
Alberta
Thats the thing mine ran all last year and idled fine even at -30 C i could start it up and and it would run fine. Not the end of the world still happy with my turbo but would be nice if it cold idled.

Premium Features