• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

List of Turbo pro issues

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
So the Dobeck boxes are supposed to only flash green on idle? Im pretty sure mine flashes green to the far left and blue to the far right. What does that indicate?

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
id say it's rich at idle .. 14.1 on AFR... now whats that reference line?

at 14.1 it is actualy on the rich side.....one thing you must be aware of: aem and innovate AFR are not very accurate, when testing the Vi-pec ECU we added 2 bung in the pipe of the test sled and hooked our laboratory o2 sensor +analyzer(worth 3800$) with aem,innovate and ngk afx.......well with the aem we saw up to 1.2 bad reading , with innovate 1.0-1.2 and finaly with ngk afx 0.1-0.2......always to lean.
if tuning based on afr, make sure you are getting a very accurate afr sensor/gauge otherwise it can be a nightmare and also over the long run, a reliability /engine problem(to lean). We are trusting nothing but ngk afx and so far we have very very good results!
hope it helps out.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
So the Dobeck boxes are supposed to only flash green on idle? Im pretty sure mine flashes green to the far left and blue to the far right. What does that indicate?

anytime blue to far right is lit box is adding fuel as for some reason it thinks it sences boost, blue should not light at idle.. more than likely boost sensor in box is bad. Or some other weird voltage issue.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
at 14.1 it is actualy on the rich side.....one thing you must be aware of: aem and innovate AFR are not very accurate, when testing the Vi-pec ECU we added 2 bung in the pipe of the test sled and hooked our laboratory o2 sensor +analyzer(worth 3800$) with aem,innovate and ngk afx.......well with the aem we saw up to 1.2 bad reading , with innovate 1.0-1.2 and finaly with ngk afx 0.1-0.2......always to lean.
if tuning based on afr, make sure you are getting a very accurate afr sensor/gauge otherwise it can be a nightmare and also over the long run, a reliability /engine problem(to lean). We are trusting nothing but ngk afx and so far we have very very good results!
hope it helps out.

agreed, this is why a/f is only one small part of a tuners tools. Still have to combine plug reading, egt, and a/f to get the best result.
Remember unless its a state of the art calibrated guage known for a FACT to be spot on its just a ballpark guess not gospel...:face-icon-small-coo

S
May 25, 2011
I run innovate on my sled 13.9 afr = 1248 egt. That's just my setup some will differ with results. afr is the last reference that I use when tuning. Plug's, piston wash, egt's then afr is my way of getting the best tune.

S

sledstew

Nov 2, 2004
Mandan, ND
www.themildtowild.com
The only problem I am having with my BD turbo pro is it will not idle when cold. It floods itself out with too much fuel at idle. It did not do this when it was stock.

Im about 90% sure your issue isnt the box or your feul system. there are a few different cycles that your engine goes through when starting. They are as follows: pre start,post start warm up enrichment and I may be missing one I would have to look. But I am guessing if you took the charge tube off of your sled it would idle fine at cold start up. The factory must have set the warm up a little rich and once you add a turbo the real slight vaccum creates a rich setting so it will not idle until the engine hits a certain engine cooling water temp and then it comes out of it. The vipec has its own settings for this and it will be pre set or if need be adjusted as necessary.

P

powerfuldodge

Jan 30, 2011
Fort Mcmurray
hope it helps out.

With the NGK sensor, is it the sensor that makes it more accurate? Can you use the NGK sensor with the innovate AFR guage?

D

dschwindt

Feb 28, 2009
Alberta
Idle

Yes I think you are correct. Had the sled out in Valemount today and it would not idle until it hit 90 F. I think my TPS may be out a little now as it also idles a little higher than before at 1950 to 2100 RPM but still runs great and reverse works all the time. I am flat out happy with the turbo ran awsome today up to 8 PSI on 50/50 AV Premium and no DET or bogs throughout. Had to adjust the low numbers on 4300 to lean out the bottom end as it felt weak.

Im about 90% sure your issue isnt the box or your feul system. there are a few different cycles that your engine goes through when starting. They are as follows: pre start,post start warm up enrichment and I may be missing one I would have to look. But I am guessing if you took the charge tube off of your sled it would idle fine at cold start up. The factory must have set the warm up a little rich and once you add a turbo the real slight vaccum creates a rich setting so it will not idle until the engine hits a certain engine cooling water temp and then it comes out of it. The vipec has its own settings for this and it will be pre set or if need be adjusted as necessary.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
I run innovate on my sled 13.9 afr = 1248 egt. That's just my setup some will differ with results. afr is the last reference that I use when tuning. Plug's, piston wash, egt's then afr is my way of getting the best tune.

afr is the first reference you should use ....all efi engine in the world are tuned based on afr....egt is not a tuning tool(to slow) but can be a reference or a security feature (in the vi-pec you can retard timing stop injectors ect. if getting too hot) btw everything over 590 degrees is too hot just so you know. always inspect your spark plug and check for small white dots(detonation) and look for a perfect chocolate brown plug.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
hope it helps out.

That’s kind of scarry :scared: so a gauge can read 12.5 but it is actually running 13.7, you would think there would be more melt downs :flame: I think I am missing something here?

Here is a test , it’s a few years old and does not include the innovate MTL-X stand alone

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/FM_WB_Shootout.pdf

Glad to see the vi-pec is getting mapped for different applications now, I really hope it works well, be cool to see it offered with a turbo kit for a 2-stroke!

Last edited:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
afr is the first reference you should use ....all efi engine in the world are tuned based on afr....egt is not a tuning tool(to slow) but can be a reference or a security feature (in the vi-pec you can retard timing stop injectors ect. if getting too hot) btw everything over 590 degrees is too hot just so you know. always inspect your spark plug and check for small white dots(detonation) and look for a perfect chocolate brown plug.
chocolate brown? on a efi motor? very very light tan to almost white on a best performance tune........

S
May 25, 2011

Blind leading the blind. Eh!

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
hope it helps out.

so your saying its off on the lean side? so 12.5 on the guage is more so actually 13.5 in reality?

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT

590 degrees?

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
anytime blue to far right is lit box is adding fuel as for some reason it thinks it sences boost, blue should not light at idle.. more than likely boost sensor in box is bad. Or some other weird voltage issue.

Checked again today. Only green is on when idle :)

K

KON

Apr 18, 2010
Anyone experienced a blown AC/DC regulator when mounting a BD racegas kit?
It happened to me, it died after about 15 minutes runtime /=

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
If you are KON.

Was that the reason it wouldnt start? Talked to Piper today and he said you had som issues with it, dyno is still on for tomorrow?

Premium Features