• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

List of Turbo pro issues

K

KON

Apr 18, 2010
Yes that's right, Kimdoo is an old username =P
After hours with troubleshooting with a battery and some instruments I came down to the AC/DC was dead, the sled worked for about 15 min runtime and i parked it in my garage (stopped it with key) and when i was going to pull start to begin adjusting the BD box it was dead, no DC power at all..
The dyno is on friday if everything goes as planned=)

D

dschwindt

Feb 28, 2009
Alberta
Boost PSI

Riding Valemount today at 7500' on my 2011 pro RMK non intercooled BD turbo.
Running straight 100 LL fuel. Took boost on EBC to 12 PSI for a bit and the issue I am seeing is the EBC is reading 12 PSI on boost but the control box is only saying max boost was 9 PSI, which one is correct. Sled ran flawless at 12 PSI checked plugs and they were a perfect tan color so not det or bog max RPM running 8330 with Boondocker clutching. Still the issue with the cold idle but nothing major will never go bavk to a stock sled again. Love it

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
BD box

Riding Valemount today at 7500' on my 2011 pro RMK non intercooled BD turbo.
Running straight 100 LL fuel. Took boost on EBC to 12 PSI for a bit and the issue I am seeing is the EBC is reading 12 PSI on boost but the control box is only saying max boost was 9 PSI, which one is correct. Sled ran flawless at 12 PSI checked plugs and they were a perfect tan color so not det or bog max RPM running 8330 with Boondocker clutching. Still the issue with the cold idle but nothing major will never go bavk to a stock sled again. Love it
The BD box is suppose to be the accurate one. If you didnt adjust your wastegate enough you would not be able to get 12psi.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
swapped out TPS and adjusted fuel mapping

Sled ran great all day Saturday. I could hold it as long as I wanted, not a hiccup to speak of. Funny though, after the fuel/map changes, the sled felt entirely different. A lot more smooth throughout the entire powerband. Very pleased. The dealers Turbo, his TPS was out of adjustment, power hit differently than mine, same performance on the hill and their reverse wouldn't engage.

let me know what you find... my tps is in spec but my sled idles high...could it be the extra fart of airpressure coming from the turbo pushing the TB's open a little more?

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
The only problem I am having with my BD turbo pro is it will not idle when cold. It floods itself out with too much fuel at idle. It did not do this when it was stock.

I found with my Boondocker, that when you calibrate the EBC you will want to see a negative in the stat screen instead of zero. At zero my sled ran rich on the botom end and when I calibrated it negative 0.7 it ran awesome. Could be worth a try on yours.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I have a 2011 pro assualt with the latest kit ( 2012 edition??) anyway the sled has run really well and Im super pleased with it . My first ride I was lucky enough to get an invite to join Boston Racing who pluged in the #s for me . As many of you know he is a silber dealer . He has been johny on the spot fopr the install and tuning . frist ride was near perfect .

the ride before last I eneded up towing it out because I simply hit the switch and it would not start for and hour after .Then when we got it to the truck it fired first pull but it was clearly loaded with fuel and blubbered bad until it cleared but ran fine after that. We had tried all the obvious things, changed plugs ,verify spark ,etc. We rode a few more miles stoped at the truck done! would'nt start AGAIN .

yesterday I rode again being very carfeul not to stop the engine and keeping a close eye on things. after riding I would stop and come to an idle AFR would climb to 19-20 for about 1 min. and the idle would surge a bit. After about a minute the AFR would settle closer to 14-15 range and idle would smooth out . i let it go thru this cycle before i hit the kill switch and it fired first pull every time .

Maybe this is a problem if yours is hard to restart.

I noticed that I had a blue light to the far right when at idle . After reading some of the posts on that in this thread id say something there is my problem .

sure is nice to ride wheelies past your buddies trying to get up the hill on stock sleds:face-icon-small-coo

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
so your saying its off on the lean side? so 12.5 on the guage is more so actually 13.5 in reality?

You cannot trust those afr gauges(except ngk..so far!) sometime they read ok sometime they don't .....that's why if you are tuning BASED ON AFR you MUST buy a good one.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
cap

I need a new oil cap. How much? The top of it jumped out and my brake rotor must have ate it? Thinking of maby just plugging it for the rest of the weekend.

It runs strong on top and does have good power. When i first installed it there was no lag hardly but it is progressively getting more lag? Strange
the idle is good from 3000 - 6000 altitude. Any higher up elevation it really chugs idle 1600 - 1300 rpm till it wants to die.
Also when i shut it off sometimes it just won't start even with another guy holding the thrtottle. Just have to let it sit fifteen min?

my handy dandy cap fix haha
2012-01-29_00-29-04_532.jpg

Last edited:
J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Mine seems to idle worse at higher elevation too. I installed the kit and did some preliminary test runs at about 3500' and it ran great. Idle was a steady 13.5-14. Took it out to Revelstoke and in the parking lot (1500') it ran great with perfect idle and AFR readings. Up at elevation (6500-8000') the idles was always low, between 1300-1600rpm and the AFR would climb to 19-20 if I left it idling without bumping up the rpms. Not sure why these things are acting so weird at elevation, but something isn't right.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I need a new oil cap. How much? The top of it jumped out and my brake rotor must have ate it? Thinking of maby just plugging it for the rest of the weekend.

It runs strong on top and does have good power. When i first installed it there was no lag hardly but it is progressively getting more lag? Strange
the idle is good from 3000 - 6000 altitude. Any higher up elevation it really chugs idle 1600 - 1300 rpm till it wants to die.
Also when i shut it off sometimes it just won't start even with another guy holding the thrtottle. Just have to let it sit fifteen min?

my handy dandy cap fix haha
2012-01-29_00-29-04_532.jpg

I would bet your bule light is on at idle . I had the same problem with very hard starting to the point I towed it out . after closer inspection I fould the blue light ( sensing boost ) was on and the idle was low and rough . If I let it idle for a minute the idle would return to normal and it would start firts pull .

something to look for

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
light

nope blue light isnt on, and i have siliconed the box before it got wet.
also my boost guage is so full of moisture it froze and didnt work half the day and my afr needed recalibration after half the day for some reason

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
You guys are scaring the crap out of me. I've been looking into building a turbo pro, but list that goes on and on in this thread has made me think otherwise, especially with no real "support" locally.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
You guys are scaring the crap out of me. I've been looking into building a turbo pro, but list that goes on and on in this thread has made me think otherwise, especially with no real "support" locally.
Just do it! I'm in ak where there is NO turbo dealers, and learned how to install and tune the thing by phone and forums. The couple issues I've had we're install error and I'm sure you've been around turbos long enough to know not to make those mistakes, and know your tuning well enough.

Tewstroke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Yakima,WA
Boondocker told me that the EBC reading while under boost was the real-time boost number and that the box number under stats was often lower.

So, I watch the EBC to read real-time boost.

Tewstroke

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
box

What's the trick of getting the air box on without cutting the o rings? Do I have to take the throttle bodies off and grind off the outside edge? Mine has been leaking since day one and I am about to try and put the o rings in for the third time and maby I will finally make over six lbs of boost

Last edited:

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
What's the trick of getting the air box on without cutting the o rings? Do I have to take the throttle bodies off and grind off the outside edge? Mine has been leaking since day one and I am about to try and put the o rings in for the third time

grease em up then slide the airbox on!

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Mines not that simple it seems, both times I couldn't get any more grease on either side
I'm thinking the leak is causing the popping? Any time I'm putting around and mash the throttle it hesitiaes a second and pops but not like a backfire its quiet really. I have adjusted the box all over but nothing really changes. Now my afr quit so tuneing is in park again.

Last edited:
Premium Features