• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation & Review: Yamaha OEM Turbo & MPI Stage One Upgrade

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
This is one of the real mysteries we have not figured out.
Chim-Chim's sled ABSOLUTELY lays over easier than mine does!
He has the bone stock suspension and I have the SKINZ/KMOD.
And his is MUCH more agile in laying over than mine is.

It true, I can hop onto my sled and it just rolls over and I get onto Christopher's sled and I just have to fight to bring it over. Christopher has replaced the A-Arms, suspension, shocks and so on. Yet without a doubt my stock set up is so much easier to bring over.

801-- I am so glad to hear you admit this in public haha. It was to funny to hear you say it in person, I thought you were gonna die before admitting that. Now we just have to get you one for your self!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well tonight I have received a few more parts from Matt@MPI.

Tonights project will consist of installing two items.

The first, is as Matt and I were talking about the RPM deal with my sled. As you recall it was at 9400 at wide open. We have decided to bring it down to 8800 and plan for it to be at that in deep powder and not on the trail.

So as I was asking him how I keep it ideal RPM on the trail, he mentioned a part (Called a boost switch) that would be perfect for keeping RPM down on the trail and ideal in the deep powder is to install a switch that when hit drops the boost by about 2 PSI and when switched back returns the 2 PSI to the engine.

The point of this being that when I hit the trail I can flip this switch and I will have the sled running at optimal RPM and when I get to powder I flip it back and it returns the full power to the engine for optimal RPM.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
The Second Part that I will be installing is a Boost Gauge.

We have a suspicion that I am making more than 6 lbs of boost, so we have decided to install a gauge so that we can know with more accuracy what I am making.

Well off to the garage, ill be back in a few hours with pictures and a review on the install!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Ohh lastly, I will be changing my clutching on the secondary from 70 degrees to 60 degrees as the way to begin lowering the RPM on the sled.

Ill have pictures for that as well!

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
This is one of the real mysteries we have not figured out.
Chim-Chim's sled ABSOLUTELY lays over easier than mine does!
He has the bone stock suspension and I have the SKINZ/KMOD.
And his is MUCH more agile in laying over than mine is.

I hate to say this~ but i have rode 5 different sleds with the kmod and they were all exactly the same~ tough to lay over~ maybe just coincidence i don't know~ but haven't been impressed with it~ just my .02~

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
It true, I can hop onto my sled and it just rolls over and I get onto Christopher's sled and I just have to fight to bring it over. Christopher has replaced the A-Arms, suspension, shocks and so on. Yet without a doubt my stock set up is so much easier to bring over.

801-- I am so glad to hear you admit this in public haha. It was to funny to hear you say it in person, I thought you were gonna die before admitting that. Now we just have to get you one for your self!

you know me~ i pretty much call it like i see it~~

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I hate to say this~ but i have rode 5 different sleds with the kmod and they were all exactly the same~ tough to lay over~ maybe just coincidence i don't know~ but haven't been impressed with it~ just my .02~
I should rattle Kevin's cage and get him out for a ride and see if his suspension contributes to this...

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I have the skinz front end on mine also. It is absolutely not easier to lay over than stock. The biggest thing that works better is the handling in off camber situations especially when there are bumps and other obstacles. Track, skid and shock settings can all play into the difference also. I do think there is something to be said for having the supercharger also. The extra weight in the front makes a big difference. I moved about fifteen pounds off of the front of my sled and could tell a difference. The supercharger adds about twenty five if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I remember reading a thread I think it was last year or the year before christopher about your impressions about riding the skinz nytro or a superchanged sled before you did your own. it was along those lines. I cant remember exactly but what sticks in my mind from that thread after reading this one was how drastic the handling of this sled could be changed with simple suspension changes. i think in the first thread it was about a small air pressure in the skid shocks made the sled horrible to ride. I believe shock setup and suspension setup on these nytro's are very touchy because of the added weight over the front and the sled not being balanced very well while you are riding it. I bet if you spent time with Kevin with K-mod and concentratired on shock setup and skid set up i bet you can get the sled to handle better then it does now.

Reactions: 801

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Alright so in regard to the install of the Boost Gauge. That did not happen, the boost gauge read up to 35 lbs of boost, so I will be sending that back and getting a smaller sized one so I can get a more accurate read on the boost. Say, one that only goes up to 15 lbs.

Second, I installed the boost switch on the sled. But when we were out riding on Saturday we were in freezing rain the entire day. There was no point in the day where I could get the sled up to speed before my goggles completely froze over.

I will give the report on how the switch works next ride when I can actually see haha.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
But I did do the clutching like I talked about. I changed the secondary to 60 degrees which is 10 less than stock

ubumyte4.jpg

Of course all of the clutch is stock as seen above.

So I removed the retaining screws from the secondary.

With that gone you can see the numbers to set the spring up
sevuse8y.jpg

With that removed the spring comes off
u6amu9ur.jpg

6uqa8uha.jpg

Then I set the spring back to 3 and 3, and I attached the other case of the clutch back on. It went on easy as could be.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Now Christopher would you be so kind as to post the pictures that depict the problem with the clutch? I said that it went on easy as could be remember? Well that's because I didn't put the clutch under tension. Which led to me having to pull the secondary and redo it on trail.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Sorry for disappearing guys. Just had finals week! Pulled off three A's and a B.. Anyway still waiting on Christopher to post the pictures of us pulling off the secondary on the trail. I'm sure he will post them soon. So where's everyone headed to ride this weekend?

Ps next items of business for the sled are to see tomorrow if the clutching is dialed in. Stay tuned!

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Had an amazing day of riding today! Man guys I love this turbo. Again freezing rain so no news on the rpm

But what I can tell you is we had 2 feet of powder and the sled was boondocking, climbing and as happy as could be. By far one of the best rides I have ever had!

Sorry freezing rain means no pictures

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
I hope everyone had an amazing Christmas!

Well tomorrow I will be upgrading my sled to MPI's stage one kit. This will be accomplished my adding the intercooler.

So how's everyone's riding going??

Powder Man

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2009
Kennewick wa
I'm doing that upgrade along with mpi's fuel pump upgrade now too, maybe have an hour or two to button it up. While not terribly hard it is time consuming and even more so for me as I'm applying it to a push turbo.

Premium Features