• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation & Review: Yamaha OEM Turbo & MPI Stage One Upgrade

I've got mpi's fuel pump upgrade, no headshim, stock injectors. Running autotune with the bridge too, air/fuel numbers were spot on started at 8lbs and went to 14lbs. Started going lean at 14lbs.

I was under the impression you couldn't run more than 10 psi with just the stage one kit?

What else you running?

You can't, stage 1 doesn't include the fuel pump upgrade needed to run more boost. I have the mpi fuel pump upgrade, manual boost t, and pyschosled bridge controller. Now I'm limited by the stock injectors which is fine, any more boost then I'm currently running will require lower compression. I'm not interested in opening up my motor and I like the quick spooling I have from stock compression.

Alright PowderMan as I am still new to this, what do you mean by manual boost t?

Hmm and what all does the fuel pump upgrade include?

Manual boost t is plumbed into your waste gate line on your turbo. It allows you to adjust your boost pressure up or down. I set my wastegate rod in as far as it will go which is max boost without the inline boost t. I now use the boost t dial to adjust boost, mine is a turbo smart looks like this.
yte5ahe2.jpg

The fuel pump replaces the in tank stock fuel pump with a higher flow external fuel pump. It has a new regulator return line and associated plumbing included as well. Takes a couple hrs to install but is needed if you want to run more than 10lbs, injectors are needed around 14lbs. These numbers are based on my experience with my sled, some will handle more some less.

Hmm thats interesting, yea my waste gate is pulled pretty far out as it is.

But that T is an interesting idea. haha but honestly 10 lbs is still a ton for me already.

The boost t is nice because if your over or under revving you can easily adjust boost. 10lbs of boost is way better than stock but not quite what mcx 240 kit runs. I've never been on one but have read they run 12-15lbs and the mcx 270 at 16-19lbs. Boost is addicting and you'll want more eventually, I'm pretty happy we're I'm at besides it would cost a bunch to do more!

Ohh I am sure that I am going to want more eventually! But right now I am happy having a sled that runs now and when I grab the throttle it just goes!

But yea im sure you and I will be going for more eventually haha

So what other plans do you have for your sled?

I'll probably do the front suspension next and eventually new skid. I put on a used oem lightweight kit from grease monkey and while it is much lighter I have too much ski lift. I haven't messed with settings yet and might be able to tune some out but it'll never be like kmod, timbersled, etc. I'd like to lose some weight off it too maybe get rid of the radiator and put a vanamburg cooler in or similar. The snow I was in yesterday was extremely deep and I was wore out after a few stucks, weight and handling will be next to tackle!

What's a vanamburg cooler? Haha thanks for always teaching me!

I know I want to kmod my rear suspension and maybe skinz a-arms and then see what matt@mpi has in store for me next.

I also need to find time to apply my wrap!

Well goals for this weekends ride is to see if the boost switch I have on the back of the sled is enough to bring the sleds RPM down so im not hitting the rev limiter all the time.

Second, we have had a ton of ice here lately so lets hope for no avalanches!

Anyone else having ton of rain or ice?

I will definitely have to look into that.

Well its pretty cool this school semester i dont have classes on friday so i should be riding twice this week!

veqydyqe.jpg

Here's Christopher and I!

ujypuhu4.jpg

Here's a couple snaps of today!

The sled ran great, no problems with the clutching or the rev limited when I used the boost switch I installed.

An overall wonderful day!

Last edited:
Now I had one about that size that I was going to instal... But I wanted one more accurate. Im only shooting for about 10 lbs of boost and didnt want one that went all the way to 30...

Premium Features

Back