• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important HayDays 2011 Update/Changes

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I was lucky and knew the back road so I got in pretty quick. I had told everyone it would be a total disaster and I could not believe you guys actually thought it would work! You had the land for several years and never did a thing with it I'm very suprised you did not end up with a law suit with someone breaking a leg stepping into one of the many holes is the swap meet area. NO excuss.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
We have an entirely different traffic management plan in place for this year. No longer will we be required to funnel all traffic around to the backside. That was the #1 reason for the mess last year. [For example, vehicles now coming east from North Branch will now be able to turn south from Hwy 95 onto County Rd 9 and park in the new lot west of swap, instead of being routed all the way around to the back like last year.]

The south side lot driveway approaches were all rebuilt so if there's 2" of rain again they wont wash out.

Adding over 100 acres of additional parking will also make it easier and much faster to get vehicles off the roads.

Hope this helps clarify things a bit.

Thanks - but I'm still confused how parking will alleviate the flow of traffic in? As you know, it was backed up to 35W - I just don't see how adding more parking is going to help the flow around the event? You have too many stop signs and turns to get to this spot for traffic to truly flow.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
This would help ALOT!!!

Install temporary tele-port docking stations in many of the surrounding towns where people could park off-site & be "beamed" to the Hay Days site,
much like the technology Jim Kirk was using 40 years ago.

H

haydaysswaptroll

Sep 21, 2010
www.haydays.com
I was lucky and knew the back road so I got in pretty quick. I had told everyone it would be a total disaster and I could not believe you guys actually thought it would work! You had the land for several years and never did a thing with it I'm very suprised you did not end up with a law suit with someone breaking a leg stepping into one of the many holes is the swap meet area. NO excuss.

You're assuming we designed the traffic plan. Sometimes one has to follow the rules in order to get their permit. If you need more info, send me a pm.

Thanks - but I'm still confused how parking will alleviate the flow of traffic in? As you know, it was backed up to 35W - I just don't see how adding more parking is going to help the flow around the event? You have too many stop signs and turns to get to this spot for traffic to truly flow.

Besides a poor traffic mgmt plan, there was a dire shortage of parking. Worse yet, the entrances to several lots washed out from the rain the previous night, turning those entrances to mud. Once that happened, there was no chance of recovering. Having more acreage, more driveways, more spaces, etc .. will all get the vehicles off the roads much quicker. On top of that, the old traffic plan MANDATED that all traffic, regardless of where it came from, was routed to the backside on the narrow county road. Think of it this way.. imagine going to a Twins game, and everyone has to park in the same ramp. Needless to say, that plan has been terminated. :rip:

I'd like to see a map of planned traffic routes. If the traffic is anything like it was last year I wont be wasting my day sitting in line.

Probably see some updates mid-summer on the website.

I suppose you will be making up the lost $5 parking revenue through admission sales correct!! Speaking of the admission prices what will the rates be this year just so we have a idea?

Prices have not been determined yet. I believe they are going to say the same for the 2day pass, but not 100% positive on that. Will know for sure soon and can post.

I have been staying over nite at haydays for the last 10 years and have never had any items taken or have heard of much thief going on!!!I for one hope they don't crack down to hard on secrity cause we have a lot of fun talking and partying with other people. Also we always buy our swap spots early and thought that last year went smooth for us.

You'll still be able to have a good time. But in order to make security easier to find in the middle of the night if there's an issue, the police command post will probably be next to the ATVAM post.

Borderstaff

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
St. Paul MN
You had the land for several years and never did a thing with it I'm very suprised you did not end up with a law suit with someone breaking a leg stepping into one of the many holes is the swap meet area. NO excuss.

I'm not one to complain but I do have to agree that the grounds were much more uneven than the old property and I also rolled an ankle falling into one of the many holes that were not leveled out in the swap isles. It was half hidden by grass and luckily I didn't get hurt - but PLEASE make an effort to fix this problem.

I came from the south and used the backroads to the show (as per your Sno-Barons website instructions) it still took me an hour to park - but I knew friends who had it much worse. I was pretty happy I had the truck instead of the minivan as I was able to weave through the cars stuck in the mud and got parked quickly once I was past the field approach.

I've been coming to Haydays for 17 years (about 14 as a swapper) and really enjoy the show. I spend on average $750 there each year...sometimes much more if I find something I can't live without. I'll go next year and, as always, will have fun. I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements and planning to swap again after 2 years off.

Oh, and lastly, THANK YOU mn_xcsp600 for all the effort you put in on this site and other getting the message out on behalf of the Sno Barons and taking a lot of heat for matters that are out of your individual control. It is truly appreciated!!!

Last edited:

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
I have been staying over nite at haydays for the last 10 years and have never had any items taken or have heard of much thief going on!!!I for one hope they don't crack down to hard on secrity cause we have a lot of fun talking and partying with other people. Also we always buy our swap spots early and thought that last year went smooth for us.

Many vendors had merchandise stolen over Friday night so security is a huge issue.

My question as a vendor: Will our space be mowed this year when we get there? Last year we had to pay locals $15 to mow a 25 x 50 spot.

Thanks for the info BTW.

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
one new parking lot????why not let the farmers sell spots like you HAD to do last year when it all went to hell????having two different entrances wont help.....thought you would address the parking situation a little better than adding one more pk lot...what if your pk lot gets all muddy again and you have trucks and trailers stuck in the entrance??then what every wait in line till someone decides to let the farmers sell spots?

H

haydaysswaptroll

Sep 21, 2010
www.haydays.com
I'm not one to complain but I do have to agree that the grounds were much more uneven than the old property and I also rolled an ankle falling into one of the many holes that were not leveled out in the swap isles. It was half hidden by grass and luckily I didn't get hurt - but PLEASE make an effort to fix this problem.

Good point! I forgot about that one. Yes that is being addressed. A couple of trappers have been hired to get those buggers. The gopher holes were a fairly common complaint.

Many vendors had merchandise stolen over Friday night so security is a huge issue.

My question as a vendor: Will our space be mowed this year when we get there? Last year we had to pay locals $15 to mow a 25 x 50 spot.

Thanks for the info BTW.

I believe everything is supposed to be mowed approximately 2wks out.

one new parking lot????why not let the farmers sell spots like you HAD to do last year when it all went to hell????having two different entrances wont help.....thought you would address the parking situation a little better than adding one more pk lot...what if your pk lot gets all muddy again and you have trucks and trailers stuck in the entrance??then what every wait in line till someone decides to let the farmers sell spots?

There is three parking lots. One south, one east of the southern one and one west of swap.

Farmers can sell all the spots they want. We have no say whatsoever regarding what they do. But the COUNTY has plenty to say. As in a $500 permit to park cars. But I suspect some will bite the bullet and buy the permit to park cars and try and make a buck.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Did you guys buy the old orchard to park cars on or go west of your private campgrounds? If you are telling the guys to enter it from 9 it must be quite a walk to get into the grounds. Since we are venting a little here, I would like to see the food section improved and maybe spread out a little. It seemed like it was not up to par with the old site. Old site I could buy a steak sandwich go sit and watch the drags or sit in the beer tent and watch the stunt track and take a little break from walking.

Last edited:
F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
Good point! I forgot about that one. Yes that is being addressed. A couple of trappers have been hired to get those buggers. The gopher holes were a fairly common complaint.

I believe everything is supposed to be mowed approximately 2wks out.

There is three parking lots. One south, one east of the southern one and one west of swap.

Farmers can sell all the spots they want. We have no say whatsoever regarding what they do. But the COUNTY has plenty to say. As in a $500 permit to park cars. But I suspect some will bite the bullet and buy the permit to park cars and try and make a buck.

you did have alot to do with it i talked with the gal in charge last year and she told us how YOU went to the county to pass said ordnance!!

Is she still in charge?

was the old track Clay with a kentucky grass on the top with underground sprinklers??kinda a far cry from a mowed field....

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220820

Last edited:
H

haydaysswaptroll

Sep 21, 2010
www.haydays.com
you did have alot to do with it i talked with the gal in charge last year and she told us how YOU went to the county to pass said ordnance!!

Is she still in charge?

was the old track Clay with a kentucky grass on the top with underground sprinklers??kinda a far cry from a mowed field....

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220820

Have no idea who you talked to but whatever you heard is wrong. We had ZERO control of anything off the grounds. The permit was instigated by the county. It was one of many conditions we had to agree to in order to secure our event permit. Failure to secure our permit would have resulted in no more HayDays. Simple as that. Additionally, the club has always encouraged the neighbors to get involved and capitalize on the event. It makes for better relations with the locals and less issues if everyone enjoys having the event in their neighborhood.

Did you guys buy the old orchard to park cars on or go west of your private campgrounds? If you are telling the guys to enter it from 9 it must be quite a walk to get into the grounds. Since we are venting a little here, I would like to see the food section improved and maybe spread out a little. It seemed like it was not up to par with the old site. Old site I could buy a steak sandwich go sit and watch the drags or sit in the beer tent and watch the stunt track and take a little break from walking.

Someone bought that orchard. not sure what he has planned with but could be parking etc..
As stated, there will be a spectator gate entrance for that west side parking lot. It will be on the western edge of the swap area so it's really not any farther to walk than the lot on the south side. [If you remember where the mini-donut trailer was located along the west fence is where the gate will be approximately.]

Can't comment on the food much as I am not involved in that but I think the idea was to try and take advantage of the trees and so forth so people could sit in the shade and eat, relax, etc...

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
she was the same gal who was on the news last year when it all went to hell....she told us straight to my face that Sno-barrons went to the county.....from what the local police and county said they had no idea that many people where going to show up!!!so the same county that is not permitting the locals to sell spots had no idea that many people where coming???

H

haydaysswaptroll

Sep 21, 2010
www.haydays.com
this should help ya get back up to speed.....alot pissed people and your not going to smooth it over by adding 2 pk lots........

last years thread...................http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220820

I think we're all plenty up to speed. I spent many days after the event last year talking to folks on this site and others, including many personal phone calls. I'm not sure what more I can say at this point. I tend to believe adding more than 3x the parking, a new traffic plan, more driveways, etc.. is a pretty good improvement.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
she was the same gal who was on the news last year when it all went to hell....she told us straight to my face that Sno-barrons went to the county.....from what the local police and county said they had no idea that many people where going to show up!!!so the same county that is not permitting the locals to sell spots had no idea that many people where coming???

I thought that the locals could sell spots last year but they had to buy the $500 permit to do so and no one wanted to spend that kind of money on the permit?

Also I thought I read that this year the county was reducing (or eliminating) that fee for locals who wanted to park cars in their yards? Is that not correct mn_xcsp600?

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
How about we go dirt biking instead. Isn't that traditionally the fall Theilman trail ride?

Yes it is, but the oldest loved going last year. I'm working on the wife letting me have a day for each....just gotta figure out how to make her happy enough for it.

H

haydaysswaptroll

Sep 21, 2010
www.haydays.com
I thought that the locals could sell spots last year but they had to buy the $500 permit to do so and no one wanted to spend that kind of money on the permit?

Also I thought I read that this year the county was reducing (or eliminating) that fee for locals who wanted to park cars in their yards? Is that not correct mn_xcsp600?
You are correct about the $500 permit last year.

The county had a hearing last week regarding this. The minutes from the meeting state --

"Zoning Ordinance Amendment - The Planning Commission will accept written and **** testimony as they consider an Ordinance amendment to allow temporary overnight camping and parking in connection with special events, as permitted uses in all Zoning districts, with an Administrative Permit."

This should make it easier for locals to get permits. Locals would be able to get a permit without going thru a public hearing, etc.. The County Board will probably vote on it at their next meeting. Stay tuned.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
You are correct about the $500 permit last year.

The county had a hearing last week regarding this. The minutes from the meeting state --

"Zoning Ordinance Amendment - The Planning Commission will accept written and **** testimony as they consider an Ordinance amendment to allow temporary overnight camping and parking in connection with special events, as permitted uses in all Zoning districts, with an Administrative Permit."

This should make it easier for locals to get permits. Locals would be able to get a permit without going thru a public hearing, etc.. The County Board will probably vote on it at their next meeting. Stay tuned.

Hopefully they drop the price along with it. Did the locals by the old site have to buy a permit?

H
Aug 18, 2010

The question is what caused the flow problem. It was not the stop signs and turns. The traffic flow problem came from the fact that there was nowhere to park when you got to the event. If they could have gotten people off the road the traffic would have kept flowing fine. This was compounded by the fact that the wet weather had what parking was available almost impossible to navigate and people were stuck all the time stopping the flow so other's could not leave the roadway until they got people unstuck and into their parking spot.

With additional lots they can get traffic off the roadway's faster which will allow traffic to continue to flow.

Premium Features