• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice scratchers

K
I bought a pair last year and they are the only scratcher I'll buy from now on. A few bucks more but well worth the money. If you forget you have em down, no big deal. Just make sure you install them correctly, follow the directions and put them on as directed. :beer;

D
Oct 7, 2009
Washington
I bought a pair last year and they are the only scratcher I'll buy from now on. A few bucks more but well worth the money. If you forget you have em down, no big deal. Just make sure you install them correctly, follow the directions and put them on as directed. :beer;

I'm planning on getting a set, too. Good to know they work well.

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
I bought a set last year and installed them according to thier instructions. (after my metal ones got caught on the trailer) They ended up loosing and turned up not putting any pressure on the tips. This was my first ride out, I ended up burning up my new hyfax in one ride. Granted to say I wasn't too happy with my new $70 scratchers! I then put locktite and torqued them down really hard, harder than the directions stated. They were fine the rest of the season. however I did reinstall my boggie wheels also, didn't want to risk another set of hyfax. One thing I did find is when you hang them on your rails and ride in the powder all day the plastic on the cables like to freeze in the up position which doesn't allow as much pressure on the tips when you go to put them down on the icey trail. They work allright not as good as the metal ones. but I have bent up allot of metal ones by reversing over them when I forgot they were down. So I do like the reverse capability. They are an OK product still a little over priced in my book. Whenever they are stored on my trailer I put them down because the cable tends to bend over time. So I try to leave them in the up position as little as possible to retain the bend in the cable. Someone needs to figure out how to make the metal ones reverse compatibile....that would be the ticket. The big question is would I still buy another set. I don't know......Only if I was also running wheels.

B
Oct 17, 2009
I talked to the seller on ebay and he said he would also give me free shipping if I bought them over the phone.I am definately interested but I am gona wait until i find out more about them.

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Awesome...never looked back. Have them on all our sleds.

Contact Whitefish on the 4m here.. He sells them.

thumbup1.gif
thumbup1.gif

K
I pretty much leave mine down all day. Good point about the plastic getting stiff in the up position, but they always come down after a few minutes of riding. Really have to make sure that you use loc-tite when installing. There are reverse compatible hard wire scratchers. There is a pair on my wife's 07 600 Summit. There's a pivot half way down the arm of the scratcher which will flip the scratching end forward if you reverse by accident. Don't know how they work yet, but will likely replace them with Slide kicks.:beer;

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Never had any luck with them in the hard snow in the spring. Could not keep sled cool with them. Went to the holtz and the cooling problem was over in the hard snow. You do have to be carefull when you hit the rev. button it tweaks them a little, done it afew times. But they go right back into place with a little strong arm.

Just my two penny's

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Slide kicks are not quite as effective as wire scratchers on pure ice, but I love them and they have always worked for me. Their customer service is awesome also. I lost one last year and they gave me another for just the cost of shipping. I didn't even ask for a free one. Make sure they are locktight'd good, that was my fault, as I knew it was loosening up and didn't redo the locktite in between trips.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I love mine . I never put them up i look to make sure they are there once in a while but thats it.

READ THE DIRECTIONS most people who dont like them installed them incorrectly

and get the carbide tips its worth the extra $$

Now you can worry about ridding instead of your scratchers!

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
You can make any old style scratcher reverse compatible by putting the short end on top of the skid rail instead of drilling a hole for it. When you back up they flip over.

W
May 14, 2008
Iron Range
I destroyed two set of wire scrather and went to the slide Kicks and had some problem with them.

They stood behind there produce gave some pointers on the instalation of them and sent me a new side that I lost due to me.

The pointer was get the star washer on the flat surface of the rail loctite the bolt then tighten the bolt till you think your going to strip it, And told me that if I did let him know and he send me another.

old style are better

If you ride with someone who has the spring style and the cable style side by side you can see there is no comparison
the cable is a nice idea but just doesnt kick enough snow and ice when really needed
The spring style can be bent back and if really tweaked
cut them and weld it straight again
just my opinion

Premium Features