• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me Build the "PERFECT" SnoWest Snowmobile trailer

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I have the same kind of floor in my trailer that Chris has, and IMO you do not need to fully cover the ramps with Super Glides. The flooring isn't slick when it gets snow/water on it and I see no reason an ATV/UTV would have problems driving up the ramp with this kind of floor. I have not had any problems walking up/down my ramps when they have snow/water on them and my ramps are steeper than his. JMO.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Rich has feet like a mountain goat.
He NEVER slips or slides.:face-icon-small-hap
Could be that I have a large family and kids, and all of us has slipped and crashed on the ramps.

Maybe its overkill?
Maybe 4 tracks would be enough for most everyone.

But I tell ya what, after YEARS of having to watch where I put my feet on the last trailer ramp, its mighty nice NOT worrying about it in the least bit any more!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Summer Awning!

Another one of the special order items I wanted on my trailer was an AWNING.

For me, I just couldn't justify the cost of a custom trailer that would only get used 4 months out of the year in the winter. I needed something that would be an ALL year trailer that would serve both SLEDS and ATVs!

Here in Southeastern Idaho we have some fantastic Sand Dunes were we spend our summers riding.

So I asked Mirage to include a full size automatic awning that would allow us to set up chairs in the shade during the daytime and enclose the the Light and Music in the night time. This is what they did for me!!

AWNING STORED FOR TRAVEL.
picture.php

Hit the button inside the door and the electric awning begins to unroll itself.
picture.php

picture.php

Reactions: Marty UT

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Nice attention to detail.
Opening and closing the main door COULD destroy an awning if you weren't paying close attention and allowed the door to scrape the cloth.
picture.php

Mirage was smart enough to add this little ROLLER to the top JUST IN CASE the awning was sagging or blown down at the moment the door opened!
picture.php

Reactions: Marty UT and Scott

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2 VERY cool benefits of this awning.

1st, it REFLECTS all of the light from the external floodlights I had installed and creates a very pleasant environment to sit in at night.

2nd, the music from the speakers is also gently reflected down making the sound MUCH nicer to listen to !

picture.php

When the weather improves here, I will post some photos of us under the awning with chairs to give a better perspective on it.

kchester

Lifetime Membership
Feb 29, 2012
Utah
www.ark-ins.com
Perfect Trailer

I have been following your build from start to finish and it came out top notch. One thing that I would look at changing is the floor. I had seen a few trailers in Utah with a plastic tile decking for flooring and finally figured out what it was. Total out of pocket for the decking was $620.00 and when a piece wears out I can replace it 1 square foot at a time. I also love that it is perforated so when the sleds are melting in the trailer the water doesn't run into anything and you can walk around with just your socks on without fear of getting soggy feet.

I did prime the floor to help with waterproofing because it will never see wear below the decking. Then I installed E track and then the flooring over the top. I like that the E Track now sits flush at the floor level so there is no trip hazard. The product is manufactured by Snaplock industries and is called Deck tile. I have run skids and ice scratchers over it without a single indication of wear.

I also put in 2 16 foot LED light strips on the sides of the trailer which greatly improved the lighting. It's still a project with shelving, cabinets, and a heater to come but I love the new floor.

IMAG0352.jpg IMAG0353.jpg IMAG0354.jpg IMAG0355.jpg IMAG0357.jpg IMAG0360.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
NICELY DONE!

Question.
Have you had a chance to use this over the winter, or is this something you just finished.

I LOVE the idea of being able to swap out a floor square as it wears over time.

But I wonder, if the spaces will fill with water and then freeze up on you or not?

One of the biggest challenges I have seen over the winter is keeping the floor ICE FREE when running the heater day after day and melting out the sleds overnight. The floors ends up covered with water by the time I turn off the heater, and then freezes over the rest of the night.

The superglides have done a great job of making sure I had plenty of traction when walking, even when there was ice on the floor though..

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I have been following your build from start to finish and it came out top notch. One thing that I would look at changing is the floor. I had seen a few trailers in Utah with a plastic tile decking for flooring and finally figured out what it was. Total out of pocket for the decking was $620.00 and when a piece wears out I can replace it 1 square foot at a time. I also love that it is perforated so when the sleds are melting in the trailer the water doesn't run into anything and you can walk around with just your socks on without fear of getting soggy feet.

I did prime the floor to help with waterproofing because it will never see wear below the decking. Then I installed E track and then the flooring over the top. I like that the E Track now sits flush at the floor level so there is no trip hazard. The product is manufactured by Snaplock industries and is called Deck tile. I have run skids and ice scratchers over it without a single indication of wear.

I also put in 2 16 foot LED light strips on the sides of the trailer which greatly improved the lighting. It's still a project with shelving, cabinets, and a heater to come but I love the new floor.
I'm lost in the realm of snap lock...did you use the garage flooring, dura grid deck tile for outdoor use, indoor use, or marine, or the fast deck stuff. Thought I had it narrowed down, but what I thought it was doesn't appear to come in black...

kchester

Lifetime Membership
Feb 29, 2012
Utah
www.ark-ins.com
I have used the tile for the past 4 weeks with 4 sleds going in and out of the trailer. My buddy who has a similar product has used it for over 5 years and replaced about 3 tiles and that was because he hooked the edge with the ice scratchers.

As for the ice build up I have never had or seen an issue with it. Even if the trailer refroze overnight the tiles are 5/8" thick so it would take a lot of water for it to ever get to the top of the tiles.

The tile is hard to find on their website. It is under the duragrid product line and commercial use. I think it was originally designed to be used for commercial pool applications. The website says it doesn't come in black, but I stopped by there office as its in Utah and apparently it does. They are super helpful nice folks when I called them before stopping by there facility.
http://www.duragrid.com/commercial.html

I will snap a close up picture of the tiles from the side and top so you can see the pattern of the tile and how much air space is in them.

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
How do you protect the leading edge at the doors for this plastic tile? It would seem to me that it would be vulnerable there. A strip of UHMW or something to act as a wear surface?

kchester

Lifetime Membership
Feb 29, 2012
Utah
www.ark-ins.com
Chris, that is not what I am talking about. Here are a few more pictures.

I put my finger next to a piece that was cut with a table saw for reference on how high the floor stands up off the actual trailer deck along with a picture down one of the E tracks.
It is not flexible like duragrid at all. It is a much tougher plastic, but you can also see how much air space is below the tiles for water to drain away. The edges are not pretty as it would have been if I spent the extra $$ to buy there edge transitions.

The product they sold me was Deck Tile. It runs about $3.00 a square foot.

Volcano if the leading edge of tiles wear out, which may be 2-5 years down the road I will spend $24.00 and replace that leading edge as I can replace it a foot at a time.

IMAG0383.jpg IMAG0384.jpg IMAG0374.jpg IMAG0371.jpg IMAG0372.jpg IMAG0387.jpg IMAG0385.jpg IMAG0376.jpg IMAG0375.jpg

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Chris, that is not what I am talking about. Here are a few more pictures.

I put my finger next to a piece that was cut with a table saw for reference on how high the floor stands up off the actual trailer deck along with a picture down one of the E tracks.
It is not flexible like duragrid at all. It is a much tougher plastic, but you can also see how much air space is below the tiles for water to drain away. The edges are not pretty as it would have been if I spent the extra $$ to buy there edge transitions.

The product they sold me was Deck Tile. It runs about $3.00 a square foot.

Volcano if the leading edge of tiles wear out, which may be 2-5 years down the road I will spend $24.00 and replace that leading edge as I can replace it a foot at a time.
Thanks! Got some on order!

kchester

Lifetime Membership
Feb 29, 2012
Utah
www.ark-ins.com
To cut it I used a jig saw on small inside corners for the e track and for the rest we used a table saw. For fastening it to the floor I just grabbed some deck screws from home depot that were waterproof and put them along the edges of the doors and then just a few throughout the trailer as it didn't seem to move at all.

Let me know how it turns out.

Reactions: christopher
Premium Features