• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me Build the "PERFECT" SnoWest Snowmobile trailer

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That trailer will look good behind my truck.

Your truck would look good in front of this trailer!!

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
At that point the etrack is only as strong as the plywood attached to the trailer.
Not really.
Right now every screw in the E-Track in screwed directly into the STEEL of the trailer frame. So if we then screw all remaining holes into the floor, we will be adding additional strength and a lot more surface area to load the screws up with if there is an impact.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, one of the things I promised I would do, was to go through this entire trailer in DETAIL and look at every single component of it. When I picked up the trailer from Mirage I spent a few hour taking photos of the inside and the outside so I could go over all of it here with other members who might be considering this trailer or one from another manufacturer.

I will now begin uploading those images with comments....

The Mirage Highmark Blackout Edition comes with a built in Boot-Dryer.
This operates via a bypass valve that diverts hotair from the rear of the trailer to the boot dryer.

By-Pass CLOSED. Heat to the rear of the trailer.
picture.php

By-Pass Open, heat to the boots.
picture.php

Boot Dryer Rack, for 4 pair of boots.
picture.php

picture.php

Notice that the dryer rack is slightly angled AWAY from the wall to allow room for the boots to fit down over and behind the exhaust vents
picture.php

I should also note that this is a LOW PRESSURE, LOW FLOW hot air drying system.
The volume of hot air is controlled by closing off the main heater vents from the furnace, forcing more air down the main duct to the rear of the trailer.
picture.php

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One of the special items that I wanted installed on this trailer as a result of the STRONG suggestion of many SnoWest Members were "E-Track Cargo Control System". Because it is profoundly hard to shoot Black on Black photos I asked that my e-Track be painted bright red. Normally this comes as bare metal, and for good reason. Just as soon as I begin using it the paint WILL begin to chip off! But for the purposes of this photo essay, I thought it would look amazing! The e-Track system allows for an infinitely configurable tie-down option for any vehicle and any point in the trailer. So I can secure my Sleds, ATVs, RZRs, Motorcycle, ect.. using a wide variety of different attachments that clip into the e-track. The trailer comes with 6 D-Rings in the floor, to which I added 4 strips of e-Track.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Each of the screws securing the e-track is screwed directly into one of the steel floor supports. So they are well anchored, but to add even more "Bite" on the floor I may add additional screws that go into the wood floor to spread the load even further.
picture.php

Once my e-track straps arrive I will post more photos showing exactly how they clip into and lock on the tracks and how they secure the sleds.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I think it looks just right. Send it on up.

Now with the lighting I have on my truck, it's slick.
blacked out clearance and side mirror lights and illuminated side emblems.

So lets find out.
Photochop these together. LOL

This is TruckZilla as my wife calls it. It's Truckuzzi as my kids and I call it.

Reactions: christopher

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Next Item I want to address are the Superglides.
Warning, what follows is an UNABASHED SHAMELESS ENDORSEMENT! :face-icon-small-hap

Mirage Trailer did not offer the Superclamp Superglides as a build option, so I contacted Superclamp in Canada and ordered in all of my glides directly form them and had them shipped to Mirage to be installed.

For the last 5 seasons I have had a small enclosed trailer with SMOOTH GLIDES installed in it, and for the same last 5 years have SLIPPED and FALLEN every single year when those glides get covered with snow. Both of my sons and my daughter have done the same. Love having glides, ABSOLUTELY HATE the smooth ones. So this year at the SnoWest Snoshow I took a long hard look at the superglides and decided to make the investment in a major upgrade.

Now its important to note that the Mirage Trailer comes with a Polybead laminate floor, that doesn't "NEED" glides, but I am here to tell you in no uncertain terms, these Superclamp Superglides are FABULOUS!

topCell_D2.jpg

What makes them different are these little SPIKES that stand up between the glide valleys.
This is what gives you that awesome traction!!

glide6.jpg

picture.php

I had several long phone conversations with the owner of Superclamp in Canada and at his STRONG urging decided to go for it and install a full layout of his product in the trailer. This meant not only the glides INSIDE of the trailer front to back, but also on Both Doors. My biggest problem with the glides in my old trailer was walking up the rear door. This is where I would mis-place my boot, catch one of the smooth glides, and find myself on my butt instantly. So in the new trailer we installed a full set of Superglides inside and on the entrance ramp and the exit ramp.

The difference is STRIKING.
I can walk into and out of this trailer with SNOW PACKED BOOTS and have absolutely rock solid traction every step of the way.!

Honestly, I just can not say enough about how HAPPY I am with the performance of this product. It may well be the single most important option I had added to this trailer!!

Last edited:
Reactions: swikertrob

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Superclamp Superglides Pro II

Rear Trailer door with some of the extra material still let to play with.
picture.php

picture.php

Centerline glides running down the middle of the trailer.
picture.php

Closeup of the glides going right to the end of the trailer box.
picture.php

picture.php

This is an interesting shot.
Mirage uses the "smooth" glides to go up and over their wheel wells.
This is standard in their trailer, and the photo shows the clear difference between the superglides and the smooth glides that I had in my old trailer.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In adition to the Superclamp Superglides Mirage added one aditional feature to my trailer, they installed a set of Caliber Edge Guides to protect the edge of the trailer doors when the sled begins its entrance. Functionally these have been good so far. Driving the sled onto the ramp is VERY smooth now and you don't get that "jolt" as the carbide transitions from the snow up and onto the trailer door. Small little item that just makes a good trailer all that much better! 2 Points for Mirage for adding these !!

This is a good shot of them from Caliber.
edgetop1.jpg

EGhinge.jpg

Inside the trailer, with the door closed they look like this.
picture.php

Because the door lift cable is making contact with the Edge Guide, I think I am going to cut out a small notch to release that tension and not place any additional stress on the cable.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
went to Mirage for work yesterday and mentioned how good your trailer looked. He said it was one of the most decked out trailers they've done and it shows!

hoping to pick mine up tomorrow so i'll be sure to post some pics. i didnt get all the fancy cabinets in mine; that stuff will have to come when budget allows

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SUPERGLIDES ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!

And Randy has a HUGE rep from me for customer service!!!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
went to Mirage for work yesterday and mentioned how good your trailer looked. He said it was one of the most decked out trailers they've done and it shows!

hoping to pick mine up tomorrow so i'll be sure to post some pics. i didnt get all the fancy cabinets in mine; that stuff will have to come when budget allows

Ya, they all had a lot of fun trimming mine out to the "9s".
Its about as loaded as anything they have ever done, but that was part of the over all project, I wanted to see just what Mirage was really capable of building and be able to do an IN DEPTH review of their product after having heard so many mixed reviews by SnoWest members over the years.

Hope your trailer is everything you are hoping it will be.
I LOVE MINE!!!!!!

Can't wait to hook it up Friday night for riding this weekend!!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=29953.pagespeed.ic.TXKhbiWPNI.jpg

You might want to fix the corner of that angled diamond plate before someone cuts themselves on it. It looks like the fastener was driven down too far and distorted the metal.

Reactions: volcano buster

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I saw that too.
A bare toe would HATE that.

xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=29953.pagespeed.ic.TXKhbiWPNI.jpg

You might want to fix the corner of that angled diamond plate before someone cuts themselves on it. It looks like the fastener was driven down too far and distorted the metal.

Premium Features