• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Forum Expert 9R review

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Do you know Dan & Laura Larson....Mossy Rock Trials and Off Road? Friend of mine, moto trials and dirt bike world.
Friend of mine. Poured him a slab for his shop last summer. Was going to have him fix my stereo on surf boat. He used to do that when he was younger. Buddy of mine sent me a picture of him and keith curtis at a trials event him and dan put on. Caption said two legends. Asked him what he is a legend of. Assuming you might know rod also.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Friend of mine. Poured him a slab for his shop last summer. Was going to have him fix my stereo on surf boat. He used to do that when he was younger. Buddy of mine sent me a picture of him and keith curtis at a trials event him and dan put on. Caption said two legends. Asked him what he is a legend of. Assuming you might know rod also.
I do know Rod, I helped Dan with his Whiskey Gulch Trial in June. We had the only N American World Champion (Bernie Schreiber)as a special guest.... over 125 riders from all over and even a couple from europe.
Small world! I am one of the original Montana Trials riders, Dan is also a Montana Moto Trials legend. Between the two of us the best National and International results from any Montana rider.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
The event, im the guy (Rich H) that got Bernie back to MT. Time to get back on topic?

E4DA2022-A141-454C-9C20-9D940CE5F628.jpeg

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Well if you read prior posts of mine, I care more about weight than power. There are plenty of guys who ride at 10k to 12k that feel the same way. You are sacrificing a lot for a turbo in my opinion. If you just go straight up then a turbo is definitely the sled to have.

Translation. What Chilly’s really trying to say here is Testosterone is a requirement for riding turbos. Something he’s lacking based on his first sentence.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Translation. What Chilly’s really trying to say here is Testosterone is a requirement for riding turbos. Something he’s lacking based on his first sentence.
Basically, do you want to carry around a huge pair of balls, or just have a normal sized pair that don't make you more tired from walking funny?

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
By default Polaris should send the 9Rs to low elevation regions and set them up for 0-5500’.

Send the boost models to high elevation regions and set them up for 5500-12,000’
High elevation boost models really fit the name Rocky Mountain King

The 9R needs to be named the AKS “Alaska Special”. It will work very well for all areas in Alaska where we ride 0-6000’ mostly. The cool dense air makes so much power at low elevation most riders simply wont need more power. The 850 is a fun handful already. The 9R should be a lot of fun!

Both will work very well in the right elevations.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Khaos 163x3 9R with a 7S is a rare bird…that would be a wicked sled.

Glad to hear a good and very expert review…mirrors the one I got today from a fellow on a 9R 155 Khaos. He was stoked on it; how light it felt and how snappy with motor was.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Send the boost models to high elevation regions and set them up for 5500-12,000’
I'd just like to point out that no clutching has ever been effective for this kind of range of elevation.

The 8 fiddy NA does just fine at 10k ft. Just needs to be clutched and ridden right.

If you're a point and shoot WFO for a minute up long pulls kind of rider, get a turbo or supercharged sled. If you want low end power in lightest setup, get a big bore. Regardless of elevation.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
By default Polaris should send the 9Rs to low elevation regions and set them up for 0-5500’.

High elevation boost models really fit the name Rocky Mountain King

The 9R needs to be named the AKS “Alaska Special”. It will work very well for all areas in Alaska where we ride 0-6000’ mostly. The cool dense air makes so much power at low elevation most riders simply wont need more power. The 850 is a fun handful already. The 9R should be a lot of fun!

Both will work very well in the right elevations.
The right elevation for our 9r is 9000.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I'd just like to point out that no clutching has ever been effective for this kind of range of elevation.

The 8 fiddy NA does just fine at 10k ft. Just needs to be clutched and ridden right.

If you're a point and shoot WFO for a minute up long pulls kind of rider, get a turbo or supercharged sled. If you want low end power in lightest setup, get a big bore. Regardless of elevation.
The 9R will work even better than the 850 at high elevation and the 850 works well. Light and nimble is what many of us prefer, the reason why many of us prefer NA sleds wherever we ride them. It’s like RV’s & Boats, there is no perfect one for all scenarios. If I preferred chute climbing I’d be on a turbo. A NA 850 gets up impressive climbs and works well in deep pow, the 9R will be even better. Will we have to poach a turbo track to get where we are going once in awhile…absolutely or we make a bunch of stabs at it to get over which is a lot of fun. Once in awhile the turbos can’t get over when it’s deep where we ride and we all (turbo or na) spend the day trying to get out of a drainage having a blast trying. The guys in our group on turbos (that are talented riders) are usually the first up and out of the long steep pulls when it’s deep, but we get over on NA’s. Less experienced riders can’t get out of these drainages and over the top no matter what they are riding, a turbo does not help them one bit. It’s all about having fun with friends and coming home safe.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009

You lose air density as you increase in elevation. This is why a boosted engine will out perform a NA engine at higher elevation. To make the same power the higher you climb the engine needs more air.

You are changing clutching as you increase in elevation to compensate for the loss of power. Keep the same power output and you don’t need to change clutching.

A turbo charged engine running at sea-level will need high octane fuel in most cases to take full advantage of added boost pressure. Also to keep from melting pistons. Otherwise your boost pressure will need to be very very low.. So why bother? A big bore is a better option.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Didn’t they invent the turbo for airplanes and elevation? Maybe who cares? You can’t tell a guy what’s what anyway no matter how much evidence there is lol. Stroked motors are fun.

Premium Features