• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Forum Expert 9R review

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Put about 30 miles on my 155 2.75 9R today. All I can say is that it's worth the wait and all the BS. It truly lives up to the hype. Way more so than the Boost. It hits harder than Ike Turner on a 3 day bender. It literally flys out of the hole digging a hole everytime you pin it on the trail. Anyone who can't bowtie and gets this sled, will easily learn how to bowtie. I have never seen an engine grab RPMs as fast as this motor does. It goes from 2000 rpm to 8000 rpm in a second. The high elevation kit is 72s which I think is way to lite. I had 76s in mine today at 4500-5000 and it was holding 8550 to 8600 on long pulls. It was making an jaw dropping 46-47 mph track speed. Our snow isn't that great so it might have helped the numbers but that is the kind of numbers I see on my Boost. Luckily we had a 850 Matryx Slash Pro with identical set up all the way around to jump back and forth from. I would say the difference between the 850 and 9R is the difference between a 650 and an 850. It's that good. Old Rusty's TCCLGBQT sled is no longer going to be the king of his little hill. The 9R is for real. I guarantee when you guys get yours, you are going to forget all about this BS Polaris has been putting you through.
On a side note I tried riding the brake for a few seconds on the trail and it goes into a stupid limp mode (max 7k rpm) and a full red screen until you turn the sled off and restart. I rode technical trees all day and rode the trails with my finger on the brake all day. Not a single issue. Just like I had assumed this brake thing is not going to affect the people who have half a brain and understand the difference between finger on the brake and finger holding the brake.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Put about 30 miles on my 155 2.75 9R today. All I can say is that it's worth the wait and all the BS. It truly lives up to the hype. Way more so than the Boost. It hits harder than Ike Turner on a 3 day bender. It literally flys out of the hole digging a hole everytime you pin it on the trail. Anyone who can't bowtie and gets this sled, will easily learn how to bowtie. I have never seen an engine grab RPMs as fast as this motor does. It goes from 2000 rpm to 8000 rpm in a second. The high elevation kit is 72s which I think is way to lite. I had 76s in mine today at 4500-5000 and it was holding 8550 to 8600 on long pulls. It was making an jaw dropping 46-47 mph track speed. Our snow isn't that great so it might have helped the numbers but that is the kind of numbers I see on my Boost. Luckily we had a 850 Matryx Slash Pro with identical set up all the way around to jump back and forth from. I would say the difference between the 850 and 9R is the difference between a 650 and an 850. It's that good. Old Rusty's TCCLGBQT sled is no longer going to be the king of his little hill. The 9R is for real. I guarantee when you guys get yours, you are going to forget all about this BS Polaris has been putting you through.
On a side note I tried riding the brake for a few seconds on the trail and it goes into a stupid limp mode (max 7k rpm) and a full red screen until you turn the sled off and restart. I rode technical trees all day and rode the trails with my finger on the brake all day. Not a single issue. Just like I had assumed this brake thing is not going to affect the people who have half a brain and understand the difference between finger on the brake and finger holding the brake.
Thank you for the post! We pick up our 9R’s in a couple days, stoked!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Boost will not lose power at 10k feet and up. 9R will lose power higher you go
It’s still NA motor
Well if you read prior posts of mine, I care more about weight than power. There are plenty of guys who ride at 10k to 12k that feel the same way. You are sacrificing a lot for a turbo in my opinion. If you just go straight up then a turbo is definitely the sled to have.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Boost will not lose power at 10k feet and up. 9R will lose power higher you go
It’s still NA motor
Boost starts to lose power over 10 i believe. Doo turbo is over 8 it falls off. Everybody knows you lose power on the 9r over sea level. You missed the point on why people buy a 9r over a boost in the first place. Boost isn't the only game in town. You might think it is if you've never had it before. After you come back to earth you realize there is a price. I've had boost since 98. I'm not giving up boost but 9r will be better 90% of the time imo.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Boost starts to lose power over 10 i believe. Doo turbo is over 8 it falls off. Everybody knows you lose power on the 9r over sea level. You missed the point on why people buy a 9r over a boost in the first place. Boost isn't the only game in town. You might think it is if you've never had it before. After you come back to earth you realize there is a price. I've had boost since 98. I'm not giving up boost but 9r will be better 90% of the time imo.
Spoken like someone who has put many hours on a boost and a 9R. ???‍♂️

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
No longer a boat anchor? Bow ties with ease? This thread is going to be lame compared to last years. No content.
How does it do on the ride out with a broken a-arm Chilly? I was gunning for entry into the 97 percentile today on the groomed trail bunny hill when I was reminded by the rock garden that I max out at 96.9%. 8500 RPM slinging 80 grams at 7k feet would have been enough for the 3%ers.
My 9R is still a schedule chicken. Glad to see you got out.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Rode with a 9r. today. He rides with finger on brake. He had engine cut out and get brake warning like 5 times. Very annoying and led to some oh crap moments. I haven't done the update on my 22 boost. But I am a bit concerned as he had so many problems. Otherwise, he Loved the 9R.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Rode with a 9r. today. He rides with finger on brake. He had engine cut out and get brake warning like 5 times. Very annoying and led to some oh crap moments. I haven't done the update on my 22 boost. But I am a bit concerned as he had so many problems. Otherwise, he Loved the 9R.
Your buddy doesn't ride with his finger on the brake. Your buddy rides with his brakes on. ?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Nailed it!! That sled rips?? I’m also making popcorn before I scroll through the rest of this thread?

600 rmk 144

Jan 26, 2009
Chadly what are your sled specs? I ordered a 9R Pro 155, 2.75” with Velocities. Then I went back and added ES to take it easy on my shoulder.

Premium Features