• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Don't buy a sled from twsandrew

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I agree, it is apparent the once owner of this sled had no clue as to what he was or is doing, and after talking with others they only confirm my suspsicions. Its sad that it was advertised as such a great sled, which it clearly isnt. Will it be when we are done, yes, but as of now its a paperweight until then.

"Great sled" is a relavent term from one person to another, kind of like "rich"

the guy who steps off the john deere liquifire onto the xlt 580 might think "holy crap!!!" the guy with the xlt might hop on the M8 HCR and think it cant get any better, the guy with the M8 HCR might throw a leg over an impulse race kitted apex with full motor mods and a CR tunnel and wet himself! The yammi tech with the mechanical abilities might take one up close look and say, "that thing is a mess!!!" (the guy on the skidoo hit a pinecone and his sled bent in two so he doesnt count!)

point is no one wants to be in this spot, ON EITHER SIDE! Buying a used sled of any caliber stock or full tilt build you are taking a risk PERIOD! BUYER BEWARE! Or at LEAST look at the sled yourself and ride it! If you truely want it bad enough you will make it work! If you dont want to put yourself in these kind of spots then buy a brand new sled in the box, buy all new aftermarket parts or build your own stuff from scratch, install them yourself and be happy! (we all know thats never gunna happen)

I had the boost line split on my PL box on my impulse apex and it was running like crap! guess what Sh!t happens, I didnt bash anyone on here, I didnt make a post saying "my impluse apex runs like crap!" I dug around and fixed it in about 2 minutes, life resumed! I bet most people wouldnt know what a boost line is or where it is on a complex machine like a turboed 4 stroke. I also had a terrible weekend at a drag race in bend oregon not to long ago, saturday my apex ran like crap all day! I tried everything!! I couldnt buy a win, fought it all day came back sunday and it was on rails! I ended up with a bad sealed barrel of 110 sunoco! changed fuels and it ran perfect. after playing back my runs I recorded there was more than one guy who came up to me and said "you should put on a seminar on that prologger" after showing him how to use it! He said all his customers put stuff like that on their sleds and dont have a clue on what it does (he just wasnt familiar with the prologger itself) I learn by doing! no one told me how to do it or showed me, I do care so I get involved and learn how things work!

Ive always enjoyed snowmobiling, a big part is all the good people involved in our sport! I hate hearing stories like these or seeing post's like this one but IMO there is alot that can be learned on both sides.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i don;t think there is any intent on anyones parts here..its just really unfortunate...

the only culprit here is the miles apart these fellows were..

the seller admits his inability to recognise anything beyond the hood,seat and handlebars of the sled..

the buyer admits or should have known there was sooooo much more he could have done to limit his potential liability of a long distance purchase..

i just think the two involved should go private on this again..

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
On this one, I can fully understand. I am not a mechanically skilled individual but I like to drive good cars, sleds and ATV's. If I have mods, someone else puts them on. I have neither the expertise nor the tools to do them and prefer to know it's being done right by someone who does have the expertise and the tools. Not everyone is a gear head. I totally respect people who are, and I try to know the basics (and I mean basics- I can change a tire and the oil on a vehicle, I can change a belt and plugs on a sled) but I truly appreciate and admire people who can do a complete teardown and rebuild on a piece of equipment. I am not one of those people though but that shouldn't mean I can't have a really nice modded Jeep or sled or ATV if that's what I want. I'd hope someone wouldn't choose to disrespect me just because I'm not mechanical.

I can respect that. The reason I'm so surprised is simply because of what I have seen riding with turbo guys in the past, they always seem to be tuning things, adjusting, working on stuff, etc...

It seems like without that knowledge to diagnose things yourself, you could potentially be having a LOT of issues. And in that case, it would seem almost detrimental to have a full built mod sled since you would end up taking it to a shop every time any little thing happens.

You are free to own whatever you want... I'm not gonna judge anyone. It's just kinda funny when the guy can't even figure out why it is over revving. Gee, maybe cause you are building 27 freaking pounds of boost! Glad his buddy caught that one for him and turned the boost controller down.... Hope you had good fuel as well, detonation at those levels can do some damage real fast.

Last edited:
S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
to andrew, if you are selling stuff, make sure the advertisement matches what the buyer gets 100% if you are not 100% sure of the condition of the sled, dont say otherwise. its a good way to label yourself with a bad name, such as what you see happening here.

to the buyer, dont buy a sled that you can not see with your own eyeballs, or smell with your own nose. if you buy a sled without seeing it, and come across such problems, it is your loss. its a chitty deal, yes. and it sucks that that kind of money was spent. kinda like buying a car out of state... if you cant see it with your own eyes, and cant get there yourself, you pay someone you trust to go look at it and pick it up for you.

enjoy your sport by this advise and there will be alot less problems, and alot less online bashing.

these types of lessons should have been learned a long time ago.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Sucks you ran into these problems. I totally understand the frustration. I rode with Andrew early this year and it was hitting rev limiter. I jumped on it and it was hitting 25 psi.

I'm sure 25 psi was the reason it was hitting the rev limiter, but I bet this didn't help

c9dc8ba1.jpg

That's seven grams missing from the tip.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Looks like ya bought a piece of chit. I've done the same thing on here, it ended up costing me big money, and it never ran right and had to sell it for a big loss.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I was at Tonys last year and did see the sled run flawless... LAST spring. It was ran as a turbo should be rode. Used sled should expect to be worked on.
My story...
This year I did too bought a used sled for my boy, may I add from a good friend and one from our riding group. I Was told the same thing.. "Flawless, strong, good runner, no problems, ORIGINAL MILES. Took it home. Rode it for the first time two weeks after purchase. Ran rough.. Took it home and found broken ground wires, broken Ypipe, broken stearing joint, and to top it off, No speedo cable. When I questioned the speedo, i was simply told, "I think I have it at home" . So yeah, what runs good for one, can be a headach for others. I still payed asking price and didn't get any offer to fix this or refunds of some kind. My bad for trusting.
By him offering to help in some form , any form, is more than most would of done. If you refuse the help, like Pj said,for as minimal as it was or for feeling like it was charity, that is not a sellers problem after that.
Sucks it had so many issues. Good luck getting it fixed and back on the snow. That sled did rock...
MY .02 :beer;:beer;:beer;

You have a very shi**y friend man. I'd write his as$ off and never talk to him again, AFTER KICKING HIS BUTT!

Let's clear this up once and for all...no he did not. He offered me $1500 for a rebuilt 3071 turbo. That's about what it's worth, maybe a couple hundred more.

I gave him the chance to reimburse some of the purchase price or to buy back the sled for the purchase price and he declined both.

That was before posting this thread.

He has not offered to help in any way. He wanted to buy the turbo I had to replace, after I rebuilt it.

$1500 is better than the kick in the ballz that you got when you bought it. He was wrong for selling it in that condition and I hope Karma comes and pays him back. But buying a full mod sled sight unseen, 3000 miles away? You couldn't find something up there that would have worked for you better?

And then again, selling a full bore mod sled and even riding it and not having any mechanical or technical knowledge confuses me. But then again every friend I know and ride with knows their sled in and out, can work on it and could rebuild it at any given moment.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Maybe its just me and how I was raised... but if you're selling something and you describe it, it should arrive as described and function as advertised. Even if it breaks after a week of riding, it arrived and initially functioned as advertised. Its a used sled so if it breaks down after some riding it is understandable... but it should at least arrive and function as advertised initially.

twsanderew says he owns a software company. So if he sold something to a customer that didn't function as advertised would he offer a fraction of the purchase price to have someone rebuild and fix the software for them? it'd be pretty tough to stay in business that way.

I've had similar experiences buying a couple things on the forum here. I bought 2 155 tracks that were 146s when they arrived. Seller wouldnt buy them back from me so I was able to sell 1 and still have 1... never did get the 155 I wanted. My cousin busted his butt workin all summer to buy a 2008 sled that was advertised as clean and strong running. It was clean looking until I found out the motor was burned down. Pretty nice thing to do to a 16yr old kid... No answers or help from the seller.

Moral of the story: I guess you can't trust people at all anymore or expect them to do their best to make it right. Pretty Sad.

Hope you're able to get it together and running well... sorry to hear about the headache. good luck

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Whats worse?

Not knowing what your selling....or no knowing what your buying

I'm going with the selling, but buying is a very close second. But then I'd never buy a sled 3000 miles away without having it checked out.

I have had several people from far places ask me to check a sled out for them and I give them an honest report and what I'd offer for the sled. I have only had one friend get burned. I rode the sled, checked it out and it was pretty decent. Upon delivery it wouldn't hold boost, it overheated and the mapping was never figured out. Ended up getting wrapped around a tree. I felt very bad because that thing ran awesome when I rode it. I don't know if the guy swapped parts or what after I left the test ride. Sled looked the same at delivery but certainly did not run the same.

My thoughts are: You want a mod sled? Save up and build it yourself. Don't ever buy someone's mod sled unless the price is so awesome you cannot refuse.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Whats worse?

Not knowing what your selling....or no knowing what your buying

Not knowing what your selling = no repercussions, just say what you want and when it does not match up to your description, "oh well..... F the buyer, afterall buyer beware"

Not knowing what your buying = big repercussions if the description of the item does not match with reality, hence alot of money to get it back to what was advertised

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I agree with PJ on buying a stock sled and modding it your self. I don't have any time for sledders that ride mods and can't hardly change spark plugs. I have helped tow sledders out that were on a mod but didn't know anything about it but not anymore. Buying a turbo sled that is used is like going to vegas and putting your money down on red 22 letting it ride.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I agree with PJ on buying a stock sled and modding it your self. I don't have any time for sledders that ride mods and can't hardly change spark plugs. I have helped tow sledders out that were on a mod but didn't know anything about it but not anymore. Buying a turbo sled that is used is like going to vegas and putting your money down on red 22 letting it ride.

...or a hooker. Looks good on the outside, but it's been ridden hard and you don't know what's going on inside. You don't know if it's been cleaned and maintained properly.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, what with the Vegas reference and all. :face-icon-small-hap

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
most guys would tell you to f*ck off, or ignore your calls and emails. He didn't.

Is that how you roll PJ? You should change most Guy's to most Douchbags, I know I would not take advantage of someone like that KNOWENLY or NOT

It's an expensive lesson for you ICR, I feel bad for you. Karma is a bitch and he will get whats due in the end.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Is that how you roll PJ? You should change most Guy's to most Douchbags, I know I would not take advantage of someone like that KNOWENLY or NOT

It's an expensive lesson for you ICR, I feel bad for you. Karma is a bitch and he will get whats due in the end.

Absolutely not. I try very hard to make sure that the stuff I sell is what I say it is. There has been some confusion and mis-communication but everything was taken care of with no issues. I would NEVER sell a sled saying it ran awesome when it didn't. But then again, I know my sled inside and out and I know how to work on it.

R
Jan 6, 2012
North Idaho
I sold a 2004 Escape two weeks ago, had it adverstised here on the classifieds, told the guy who boughtit that it ran fine when I rode it last. (last year)...other than the first de-winterized run around the house...Anyway he bought it.... It went 10 miles out and dropped a power valve and took out a cylinder. He called me up and wanted to know wtf! I could have said too bad, it was used and no warranty. But what I did was look at it from his perspective....I offered to split the costs of parts and do the work myself, which I can, so now it's in my gargae being fixed. Sure I didn't have to do that, but I need to sleep at night and it's the right thing to do!..P.S. power valves are back ordered, so my riding buddy offered to take the valves out of his 2003 (spare sled) and get the guy back on the snow until polaris gets the replacements here....now that's class.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I sold a 2004 Escape two weeks ago, had it adverstised here on the classifieds, told the guy who boughtit that it ran fine when I rode it last. (last year)...other than the first de-winterized run around the house...Anyway he bought it.... It went 10 miles out and dropped a power valve and took out a cylinder. He called me up and wanted to know wtf! I could have said too bad, it was used and no warranty. But what I did was look at it from his perspective....I offered to split the costs of parts and do the work myself, which I can, so now it's in my gargae being fixed. Sure I didn't have to do that, but I need to sleep at night and it's the right thing to do!..P.S. power valves are back ordered, so my riding buddy offered to take the valves out of his 2003 (spare sled) and get the guy back on the snow until polaris gets the replacements here....now that's class.

RNR:

Good on ya!

That is what a guy should do.

Premium Features