• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City Snow Conditions 2011/12

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
I'd say Daisy side would be better. I think you're going to run into more rocks over on the Lulu side. We do have some good pictures too, of stuck sleds and deep snow which makes it look amazing but those are only in a couple small areas and creek bottoms. You can still see well casings in the bottom of Daisy Pass and there was no shortage of rocks.

treehunter- Yes, we do need to go this winter, no excuses! But this sled isn't boosted yet. She's only got 30 miles on her and that was in Cooke!

P.S. Skiers have already reported avalanches over on Lulu so be careful if that's where you decide to go...

Last edited:

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
sounds like the early season snow pack is pretty unstable everywhere right now....hope cooke gets some more good snow this week to cover up them rocks more...i need to go on a tune and test ride!

T

tymetoride

Dec 9, 2008
Billings, MT
i agree

i agree with JROD, definately needs more snow up there no doubt about it! we could see some slides way up high, definately not a very stable snow pack... i only hit one rock and it was on the side of the trail headed up to round lake.... but definately felt some stuff hitting the track underneath when going in some spots.... but it felt good to get out and get some miles on!

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Hows the stability of the snow? Is it settling?

Love the updates, keep them coming!

L

LSB

Started snowing last night, I must have been wrong. Got an inch plus in the backyard already and looks like it will keep coming down for now at least.

This is from the mtavalanche guys. They were just here a few days ago doing some digging and research.

The northern Gallatin Range and mountains around Cooke City:

Only two ranges in our forecast area have a deep snowpack: the northern Gallatin Range and mountains around Cooke City, which both have three to four feet of dense, supportable snow. Unfortunately, it's all overlying a foundation of weaker, faceted crystals. Outside Cooke City last weekend we investigated a snowmobiler triggered avalanche on Crown Butte and a natural slide on Fisher Peak. Both avalanches broke on a layer of unbonded, grainy snow. Dig a hole to the ground and you will find these loose crystals. With a similar snow structure, recent avalanche activity and poor stability test scores, if today’s storm materializes I expect to see natural avalanche activity in both the northern Gallatin Range and mountains around Cooke City tomorrow. Even without new snow it would be possible to trigger an avalanche today, but with it, the likelihood of avalanches will only increase, especially on slopes with fresh wind drifts.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
Cooke City updates? Anyone been there this past week?

I know there was a thread running here, but I am haven't ponied up for a SW subscription. So, I can't read the 7th page of updates.
Here is a link to the Soda Butte Lodge web cam I found today. Any riding done this past week, weekend to report?
We are headed up 12/14. We don't have anything substantial here in UT.
http://www.cookecity.com/WC_TimeCamEast.htm

I

Impatientforsnow

Nov 29, 2007
Gods Country
Rode there couple days ago..3 outta 5 sleds made it out unwrecked..still a lot of rocks..not sure if it snowed last night..you might luck out and have enough snow by then..

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
was out over thanksgiving. thought the snow was pretty decent. just had to ride smarter and keep your eyes open. saw several areas that had slid prior to us getting there by a day or two. plenty of great riding to do in the trees as long as you're careful. thinking of heading out on thursday again.

L

LSB

We got some more snow in the past couple of days. That helped the guys here for this weekend. Monday and Wednesday are going to bring more chances for snow. Ill keep you posted. I thought this year was supposed to be as wet as last year. Somebody got that forecast wrong, at least so far.

Reactions: MarleneeSteven
S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
Great to meet you Bob

We were in your shop having breakfast again this am (great coooook!) We also had a visit from your friendly-tamed fox. Conditions were very good considering the limited snow every else in the west. The trail in/out of the riding area blew absolute chunks! They need to groom! Overall, great time, affordable, great people.
Thanks again

We got some more snow in the past couple of days. That helped the guys here for this weekend. Monday and Wednesday are going to bring more chances for snow. Ill keep you posted. I thought this year was supposed to be as wet as last year. Somebody got that forecast wrong, at least so far.

Premium Features