• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado 4M Ride Final Details!

Some vids were sent to beergut, Boondockers 4 and Elevation 3, for prizes, raffle whatever... I hope they made it to him in time...

have fun and be safe! take lots of pictures too!

Yes, I have the videos -- thanks Phatty. I will bring them with me.

Update/advertisement:

We rode up at Irwin today - and it's mostly untracked with about 2-4' of fresh on top of last week's storm. Base is 12-16' (yes, feet).

We ran in fresh 3' pow all day, and really never crossed our own tracks. Broke trail up to the townsite this morning, and except for the big structures, everything was buried. The townsite shed is almost completely under.

There's an amazing amount of snow - 25year epic.
1984 was the last year like this, and 1993 doesn't even come close now.

Many of the houses up at Irwin simply do not have 1st floors, and some are missing part of their second floors or gables.
A few cabins are completely gone.
Crested Butte's downtown has 7'-10' base in the town proper, and that's 2k feet lower.

If you can make it down here it's well worth the extra effort.

MtnDoo

MtnDoo I completely agree the extra effort will be worth it. We rode above Irwin Lodge last Saturday and the snow was insanely deep! Looking forward to doing all again next weekend

Work Sucks

Well guys, I've got some bad news.... You will not be graced with my presence at this years ride.... Do to a major customer issue, I am unable to attend this year.... I hate how work gets in the way of sled'n:(

I am going to send all donations I have received to Chad.... It is going to be another great year... We have received some great donations from Klim, Scott/Reima, Gravity Worx Racing, ect.....

Cory / Brian, make sure to drink plenty for me:beer;

You guys have a blast.... Will try to hook up with you in March.

"pretty good" = stupid enough to try things but usually ends up getting stuck?

Yup.

Reworked the steering a bit tonight, pulled it back a few inches and tightened it up... feels 100x better than the hose clamps i dealt with before... should hold up till i get the timbersled order in.

Chad, sorry that you have to split on sunday. Is anyone sticking around for a monday ride? I would suggest hitting Donitas or perhaps the Ensanada grill on sunday night.

The avy center is saying that the safest slopes are the west facing ones. The only climbs that come to mind that are west facing are the ones in Robinson basin and the back side of axtell.
Has anyone broken trail up the top of axtell?, that can be a bit epic getting through the trees.

Also, I have extra sled registrations for anyone that shows up without one.
Who is staying in Gunni, and who is staying in the butte?

Calling all Colorado riders, we will have great conditions for this weekend in the CB area.

I know you plan to ride this weekend so come on down..rotax, snowmark, bushmaster, yamahammer, catlady, mrs snowrider, ollie, tfx, PJ, ect.....

Also if anybody is hesitant to ride around Irwin due to being unconfortable with avalanche possibilities, we can easily set up a group to go to Black Mesa or Arrowhead. I'll be in town Friday, probably ride Arrowhead (buddy of mine has to feed cows at the ranch that morning near Arrowhead). From the sounds of it, this may be a good option for those not comfortable in DEEP powder too, kind of sounds like another storm may be rolling through Thursday.... the Mesa and Arrowhead also have record snow, but nothing quite like Irwin, and terrain tends to be flatter and more open meadow playing type riding.

Rode Black Mesa on Sunday. There is alot of snow, however it is setting up quickly. As you know, it is a big area. It is easy to get lost out there. Beleive me I know:D. It is 38 miles from town. About 50 minutes to the trailhead. Only about 5 rigs will fit in the parking lot.
The lodge is great, full bar and good food.

Oh yea, I would suggest bringing extra gas. The lodge has none

Black Mesa Lodge was nice, great folks at the lodge, good food, etc... We had to ride about 20mi back to find some hills and stuff to mess around on - but the rest of it that I saw was flat as a board. People were either running out of gas, or carrying jerry-cans. It'd be fun after a storm, but if you're driving out here to ride mountains, you might find more interesting terrain at Irwin/Cement Creek/Taylor Park/Washington Gulch/Pitkin/Lake City, etc... I'm not sure about Arrowhead - never ridden there.

The sun came out Sunday and today and got really warm.
A few faces went down this morning, but nothing that we ride from what I can see from town. Poverty Gulch/Daisy Pass went last week.

Another $00.025 spent.

;-)

MD.

Hey guys Im ready to go this weekend. Joe Mama and I are ok with going out on sunday to any place. I have heard that Mario's Pizza is good too. Has any one tried it?

Hey guys Im ready to go this weekend. Joe Mama and I are ok with going out on sunday to any place. I have heard that Mario's Pizza is good too. Has any one tried it?

Marios is an icon. Their regular pizza is pretty good. Their Chicago style is out of this world. There is also Piezan's Pizza, it is also great pizza. Both have beer and wine. Draft beer at Marios.

W-Cafe is my favorite breakfast place. Huge portions, great food, but it is a bit spending for breakfast.

Gotta go I'm getting hungry:)

Last edited:
:mad::mad::mad:

Well, I'll be there for sure but now not sure about my daughter. So either I'll be up earlier than planned on Friday by myself, or else LATE Friday night or Saturday morning if Steph can come.

Premium Features

Back