• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching the P-22 Boost

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Uhh I think he is butt hurt like Andrew and Art {Fordman and graveler} they never came back. I think the three of them would be money on here. Christopher....reach out and pay them!!! $$

Christopher...this next fall this site may be done. good luck.
Chris

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Part of the problem with the Polaris Boost is the reed in the air box. It leaks, it can’t get up on boost quick or for that matter hold boost. When you chop the throttle it’s gone.
That’s why we built the replacement. It completely seals under a pound of boost.
Clutching plays a part here as well. If it’s lazy the engine/exhaust is slow to spool the turbo. The Polaris wastegate design works pretty well outside of it slows or stops the turbo from spinning. That turbo “catchup time” when you get back in the throttle under low boost is a factor as well.
A Garrett spins on forever, the stock turbo doesn’t.
Interesting, that explains why it felt so similar in responsiveness to the way i ride my silber setup, except that has arguably better clutching as far as the airbox goes. I was also thinking about that the other day, in the overall difference in the way the turbo performs down low. Still very happy with my matryx though, being able to run pump gas at 10hp less than my silber will be nice.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
i remember a time when this site was quite helpful at diagnostic issues. now its just the chadly and dave show. waste of time.
You been a free member for 16 years. What have you done for Snowest? Harvest free info? Good job. Thank you for your contribution to the forum.

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
go fuk yourself. taken info and given info. no wonder you were the laughing stock of snow and mud. nice try.
Yup, 1 post/month. You must have shared mountains copious amounts of helpful info. And how tf do you deal with popup ads for 16 years? A little cheap are we? Freeload much? BahahaahahahahahaIMG_0718.jpeg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Fix the P-22 or replace with STM?
P-85, they just had a huge recall.........
Put a doo clutch on it?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Put a doo clutch on it?

what was the huge p85 recall? Post up the paperwor. Exciting

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Glad to see we can still get some cheap (cost of membership) entertainment still, now that Chad had written SW off like a red headed stepchild. 🥳

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
what would you know meathead!
A wise man once said, if you wish to raise your standing, sometimes the first step is to stop digging...

They replaced mine and I’m pretty sure it was something to do with Small hairline cracks in the casting of the spider
There's more detail in one of the recall threads, but that sounds like the gist of it. I saw some pictures of broken clutches where it split at the hub too though. Either way, I hope it's not an ongoing issue, and Polaris keeps making the P-85 for a long time. Even if they manage to fix their China child P-22, it still doesn't outperform the P-85 - plus I see there's a billet spider with upgraded buttons and rollers available for the P-85. I'll probably try that on my sled next time I have a reason to take the clutch apart.

Glad to see we can still get some cheap (cost of membership) entertainment still, now that Chad had written SW off like a red headed stepchild. 🥳
Ah, I bet Chilly's back sooner or later. I mean, how long do you think he can sit back and leave it to the poor, non-members to throw barbs around?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
A wise man once said, if you wish to raise your standing, sometimes the first step is to stop digging...

There's more detail in one of the recall threads, but that sounds like the gist of it. I saw some pictures of broken clutches where it split at the hub too though. Either way, I hope it's not an ongoing issue, and Polaris keeps making the P-85 for a long time. Even if they manage to fix their China child P-22, it still doesn't outperform the P-85 - plus I see there's a billet spider with upgraded buttons and rollers available for the P-85. I'll probably try that on my sled next time I have a reason to take the clutch apart.

Ah, I bet Chilly's back sooner or later. I mean, how long do you think he can sit back and leave it to the poor, non-members to throw barbs around?
Haha love it! Glad to see good ol’ honest and “G-rated” responses👊🏻

As for P-22 vs p-85 wars, me like lots of other aren’t holding our breath, but very hopeful p22 woes are behind us. Shoot, who knows how many p-85 recall issues really arose, we all know it would too catch SW on fire a bit.

Chilly coming back. Well, his text back from him when I told him we missed him and it was too quiet here, was met with “F@&$ that place! 😳 so, I give it say 7 months😎

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Put a doo clutch on it?

P-85 is still the most viable option (time and cost). Plenty of calibration knowledge and parts. Just have to get lucky and hope the one you get isn’t dimensionally OoT.

Premium Features