• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Weights: MDS vs. SSI

Hey guys,

Historically, I've ran Dakota Performance and MDS weights.

I'm now running a boosted big bore application and was wondering if anyone has experience with both the SSI and MDS weights and could compare them for me. Sled is a 2017 Mountain Cat 162.

Riding is mostly trees with the occasional big hill pull. Elevations are 7k-10k. Mostly West Yellowstone/Big Sky area and 2-3 times a year in Cooke City.

Looking for predictability in the midrange.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Great question. I was going to post a similar thread myself! Bring on the knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend had a set of SSI weights and the profile was the same as a stock 2016 weight when they were overlaid.

Is the stock profile good for turbo applications or would a dual radius be better suited? I believe the MDS has a more aggressive radius toward the tip for boost?

Hoping to get some in depth information on this from anyone

I can speak from my specific experience here. 16LE 153 no turbo. I ran MDS last year and in fact have run MDS on my 4 prior sleds as well. This year I decided to take a chance on the SSI kit which includes the different helix and secondary spring. Granted the rides were a full 6 months apart but I am much happier with the way the SSI kit pulls and performs in general than the MDS weights ever made me. I would like to add that I generally ride at 11k feet and from my experience the MDS weights just don't work that great at those high altitudes.

In my experience the weight has more to do with the guy installing them knowing how to tune the clutching than what weight he uses. MDS does make a turbo specific weight that'll probably work better than an SSI weight designed for normally aspirated sled.

Easiest weight to tune exactly how you want it is the Cutler IMHO. Its amazing the difference that can be achieved loading the tips or base of the weight. I have tried just about all of them on one sled or another except SSI and never have found anything better than Cutlers. The worst weight performance wise I ever tried was the MDS. I know a lot of people swear by them but after 3 rides of playing with them and never getting back to the performance of the Cutler I gave up. I run Cutlers on my wife's stock 600, my 800 with a can, and the supercharger. You wont find a more caring, stand up person than Dale Cutler either.

The MDS weights did not work at all in my 925 RK Tek. They were very sluggish on the bottom. I went with the stock Cat weights and they pull much harder than the MDS weights did. Even in the stock machine- the MDS was too heavy for what Steve would recommend. I'm at 10-12k feet. I had to shave weight off the MDS to get them to pull RPM on my stock machine. I've heard good things about SSI from others running BB but i haven't tried them.

I had one turbo machine and it liked the turbo specific weights.

I wish I was running the 925 with a turbo- that would be fun!

Premium Features

Back