• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Climate change

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Biden: Climate Change . . . . Kills ?!?!

giphy.gif

Obama: Naww. . . . It's safe and effective !!!

• Haha
Reactions: leisureexpress

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
When was the last time you had a conversation with your kid.

See the black arm band, that's a single and I'm looking for a **** .

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Here's one for those that think progress is making leaps and bounds.
What year exhaust system including CATS do you think this is from , a 2001 or a 2022 5.3 gm ?
IMG_20230524_114944141.jpg
Same old crushed cross over same CATS . So what's the difference?
Same engine , that's not it.

All that **** covering up the engine for emissions is pretty obvious.

They restricted the engine so bad that it literally eats itself.

Might be the reason why they are discontinuing it in the pickups.

Transmission is definitely upgraded , piece of crap is constantly hunting for a gear to be in. Torque converter couldn't build enough pressure to run over a paper bag.
Saving the best for last , guess which year gets a little more than 20 miles to the gallon highway speeds and the other might get 12, being generous?
Technology my ass, I think my old 72 Cheyenne Super Sport got the same.

That is really pathetic, and there's such a huge population that is completely oblivious.

IMG_20230507_152611091_HDR.jpg
Owned this since brand new, she loves it, I can't talk her into upgrading.
The guy with the 2022 had warranty work done, won't be long now before the tranny that was causing the shimmy takes a ****.

It's not just a particular brand, there is no reliability without a revolving door with all of them.
They know what works and this new technology doesn't unless you can't see past the bling.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
Here's one for those that think progress is making leaps and bounds.
What year exhaust system including CATS do you think this is from , a 2001 or a 2022 5.3 gm ?
View attachment 404888
Same old crushed cross over same CATS . So what's the difference?
Same engine , that's not it.

All that **** covering up the engine for emissions is pretty obvious.

They restricted the engine so bad that it literally eats itself.

Might be the reason why they are discontinuing it in the pickups.

Transmission is definitely upgraded , piece of crap is constantly hunting for a gear to be in. Torque converter couldn't build enough pressure to run over a paper bag.
Saving the best for last , guess which year gets a little more than 20 miles to the gallon highway speeds and the other might get 12, being generous?
Technology my ass, I think my old 72 Cheyenne Super Sport got the same.

That is really pathetic, and there's such a huge population that is completely oblivious.

View attachment 404889
Owned this since brand new, she loves it, I can't talk her into upgrading.
The guy with the 2022 had warranty work done, won't be long now before the tranny that was causing the shimmy takes a ****.

It's not just a particular brand, there is no reliability without a revolving door with all of them.
They know what works and this new technology doesn't unless you can't see past the bling.
The newest GM pickup I would own is 2007 classic……

I’ve owned.
99,00,04,06,12,14,15 gm pickups.

My buddies are always working on.
14,16,17,20,21 pickups.

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Is that the same 6 speed that is in Mamma's '13 'Burban?
If so,, she got prolly 200K+ on the first one before rebuilding.
Seems on par with the 4L60.
But the failure is apparently MUCH worse.
TQ/C fails and sends debris downstream?

Hers likes to shift a fair amount once we git out of the flats, but that's not a tranny issue, it's a motor with no torque issue.

Even if it is a different tranny, it's still likely a putzy motor issue.

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
They may have had small issues, always working on is a bit overboard.

Well Over a million duramax miles still running strong on our place, including through years you listed.

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My 18 is over 100k now, had def pump fail once, nothing else.
Dads 20 is same mileage 0 issues.

I have six that have never been back to the dealer for anything.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
:) It helps when you use them for what they are designed for with a few goodies from the aftermarket boys without adding stupid stuff that just tears the hell out of them.
I really enjoy my 16 Duramax added almost as much as I could for it to have a good life. The CP4 fuel pump was probably the only big concern that now has a lift pump and the Allison constantly hunting for gears was taken care of with a BD Allison Pressure controller, if you use it for any kind of pulling I'd highly recomend that. Plug and play in line, drives normal and when it senses a load it works like an old school built transmission without hitting gears. The hydraulic pressure is almost doubled when needed actually extending the life and slightly increasing mileage.
An example was a hill in stock form the Allison dropped 2 from OD empty and when peaking the hill would drop no more than 3 miles on the speedo.
With it, it dropped 1 gear and peaks the hill and bumps the speedo 2 , the torque converter does its job and actually flings the vehicle. Using cruise control in both situations.
Put it in tow and its an improved difference towing. That constant shifting for some depending on where you live and drive really is a joke. The transmission is lugging and hammering gears, since when does hydraulics like that.
Add a programmer and stay in saine modes on the SOF and don't put it in ludicris mode the Duramax is really a good small block.
Note the newer models have made it kind of spendy jail braking the brain box last I heard, about two grand, surprise surprise.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Is that the same 6 speed that is in Mamma's '13 'Burban?
If so,, she got prolly 200K+ on the first one before rebuilding.
Seems on par with the 4L60.
But the failure is apparently MUCH worse.
TQ/C fails and sends debris downstream?

Hers likes to shift a fair amount once we git out of the flats, but that's not a tranny issue, it's a motor with no torque issue.

Even if it is a different tranny, it's still likely a putzy motor issue.

Same tranny as that 01 posted above with a Z71 package, 3.73 gears with Auto FWD along with 4X4 option if you can find a clean one climb in it and take it for a spin, you won't think it's the same. There is no comparison on how they shift, completely different animal.

Of course your 13 has better creature comforts .
This 5.3 runs circles around my 2004 6.0 HD and is a lot more fun to drive, very easy to exceed speed limit without thinking about it, great grocery getter :)

That 5.3, 325, 300 horse is a spin off of the good old 327 that pushed 365 horse, factory actually made one with a super charger for the corvettes in the days that put out a lot more but the big block craze killed it even though it ran with the big blocks.

I'm telling you it's bling not progress :)

Kind of like Fords old 289 , that little bugger was one tough little SOB , different story :)

Reactions: BLITZKRIEG

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have three very built tire shredders.
Just have to build evenly.
Ours are farm use, always hooked to something and more than fair share of off road.
My 34’ goose with nine sleds isn’t light use….my 18 loves it.

Reactions: Hawkster

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Same tranny as that 01 posted above with a Z71 package, 3.73 gears with Auto FWD along with 4X4 option if you can find a clean one climb in it and take it for a spin, you won't think it's the same. There is no comparison on how they shift, completely different animal.

Of course your 13 has better creature comforts .
This 5.3 runs circles around my 2004 6.0 HD and is a lot more fun to drive, very easy to exceed speed limit without thinking about it, great grocery getter :)

That 5.3, 325, 300 horse is a spin off of the good old 327 that pushed 365 horse, factory actually made one with a super charger for the corvettes in the days that put out a lot more but the big block craze killed it even though it ran with the big blocks.

I'm telling you it's bling not progress :)

Kind of like Fords old 289 , that little bugger was one tough little SOB , different story :)

I beleive that you are thinking of [mechanical] Fuel Infection for the Vette?
I've never heard of a 671* huffer setting on top of a 60's vette from the factory.

My daily driver is a '99 'Burban with the last of the 5.7's.
My wife found it in North Carolina.
Rust free truck - I love it.
The 350 doesn't need to downshift nearly as often at the 5.3.

Have gotten an amazing report about some newer 8. sumpthing liter motor (GM) that my guy says got super hwy milage.
I am guessing that it is large enough motor that it responds well to shutting down 4 cyls on hwy, and still has enough power?)
If I was buying a new truck today - that's what I would be looking into. (1 ton truck that is)
I would like to hear more testimants tho...
(Not that I am buying mode in any way - my '06 Cummins does just fine)

*871?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkster

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
30 tons of ammonium nitrate just vanishes from a train, imagine that.

Might have to ask the Vanguard group that is the largest owner of Union Pacific.

Premium Features