• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carnage at Lost Lake

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
Tell your cousin this ain't NASCAR where you can swap a little paint :face-icon-small-win Glad you got the machine out & both of you uninjured.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
You can't fix stupid, and everyone in Alaska should know that by now. If you and your "friends" know that by now you are fawked. LOL, looks like fun nonetheless.

D

Double L

Nov 26, 2007
The PC
You can't fix stupid, and everyone in Alaska should know that by now. If you and your "friends" know that by now you are fawked. LOL, looks like fun nonetheless.

You know what Marv, F YOU, it was a one in a million shot. The hill had a double shelf where it flattened out in middle. He could not see me, I could not see him' end of story. I posted this as a learning experience for everyone, me included. But when you come with your "can't fix stupid" I'd have to say I'm a little fired up. I've been riding for a little while now and have seen some stupid chit. One of the reasons we rode LL was because we didnt want to be another Turny casualty. This was just bad luck.

H

HardcoreAK

Nov 3, 2001
North Road
I feel for you DBL L, but its all good...

You know what Marv, F YOU, it was a one in a million shot. The hill had a double shelf where it flattened out in middle. He could not see me, I could not see him' end of story. I posted this as a learning experience for everyone, me included. But when you come with your "can't fix stupid" I'd have to say I'm a little fired up. I've been riding for a little while now and have seen some stupid chit. One of the reasons we rode LL was because we didnt want to be another Turny casualty. This was just bad luck.

Sometimes the deck is stacked. I am glad you guys made it home to tell the story. It could have been worse. I have totalled a few sleds in my days, a couple in LL, and even totalled myself a few times talked to GOD, and he let me walk back to my sled and bang out a few parts and ride her home like you guys did. Luckily the Kings Men were able to put humpty dumpty back together...LOL. I think what Marv is getting at, (usually a pretty level headed guy, based on forum posts) is just that you need to be conscious of where each other are at all times. The crew I try to ride with, we dont even think about going up a face until all of us are in view, when the AVY gods let go, you better KNOW where each other are if you want to be found and survive Dont be nonchalant, ask Scott Jackson what he thinks of small hills in LL and avy danger, when he and his own son were buried in the trees last year. Basic safety rule, If you have a blind face you post a spotter, just like in the dunes? and take turns at the top. Ive never rode the dunes, but thats where I learned it from..... Sure, maybe Marv1 is being rude, but I know where he is coming from. I feel the same way when two peeps from the same crew take each other out its a matter of IGNORANCE. You guys are together, and you need to know what each other are doing at all times, and you need to know whats going on on both sides of the hill you are playing on. Jeez ask your wife what she thinks about this? Clear the zone, and kill the hill, thats my technique, and I wont ride with people who dont abide. I am not trying to belittle you guys and your experience, because I know how chit happens fast and in the worst kind of way. Believe me on that. In less than ten seconds I flipped my sled three times and in the process I hung my nut sack on the brake lever and crammed it all into my left leg at once (gettin a lil bit ugly, and trying to save it, but hey, you had the sense to bail off! ) and after riding out a few endo's I had to have that stuff put back where it belongs and 30 some stitches sewn back together.... There was nobody to blame but me for that one, but I could easily have blamed my buddies for hogging the trail and not letting me go by.....

I think Marv is getting to the same point I thought when I read your story, that you hit the bowl and went different directions and not thought about what each other were doing, much like my kids do when theres no tracks. They wanna tear that chit up, they dont think about where each other are, trajectories, approaches, avalanches, its all the same, MAKE AN ASSUMPTION, and tradgedy is waiting for you. Not to say thats related to your deal but what I mean and I think Marv was saying is RIDE SAFE especially in the mountains, SAFETY is #1, over all else! Pete's sakes, you are out in the middle of nowhere and even the FLIR life flight helicopter may not be able to find you. We lost one last year in PWS. Get in the groove with your buds and you will all be better off. Practice SAFE riding techniques, exhibit some restraint, even if you have to take dibs at the top of the hill, (in the stinkhole)

Take care, good luck with your insurance, and try to learn from your mistakes.

Peace Out, rubber side down!:beer;

Last edited:
D

Double L

Nov 26, 2007
The PC
Hey Hardcore, thanks for putting it in perspective. It was an expensive lesson learned. If Marv was trying to say what in essence you did then I apologize immensely. Like I said before I was a little fired up and talking out of emotion rather than justifiction, sorry Marv.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
If they total it I may have to get an asssssssualt, make the switch back to the dark side. At least thet way I'd have spare plugs for you when you foul them every other mile. Hope you got over your vicious fever that kept you from going with us....wuss. J/K nothin but love nieghbor.

Hey stupid.......:D

Running the same plugs would be a plus, also we could put a rack on yours to carry more plugs. To hell with carrying gas, I never get through a whole tank. I'm kinda glad I bagged it now, a little red mixed up in that pile wouldnt match.:face-icon-small-ton

Your always welcome to ride the 600 if I EVER get my junk back.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
If they total it I may have to get an asssssssualt, make the switch back to the dark side. At least thet way I'd have spare plugs for you when you foul them every other mile. Hope you got over your vicious fever that kept you from going with us....wuss. J/K nothin but love nieghbor.

It's good to see that you are safe and no harm came of you but man that looks bad! And it was a kitty cat too, silly cats! And now you are thinking of going over to the dark side? Oh man there is no hope!

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
hey double l... glad to here that no one got hurt . but if your sled is toatled i think your going to be buying another xp cause them assaults are hard to come buy.

D

Double L

Nov 26, 2007
The PC
That is such a shame cuz its such a pretty sled!!!

Who are you insured with and how much per year if you dont mind me asking?

State Farm and it runs me $228 a year but I also have my house, truck and trailer with them and they give a multi policy discount.

F
Oct 9, 2008
I'm glad nobody was injured, stuff happens, at least everyone is home in one piece by the looks of the sleds someone could've gotten seriously chewed up. hey Double L I know you don't know how things are going to pan out with the insurance company, but if the sled is totalled do you plan on buying it back? I'd be super interested in it if you do buy it back as long as it's w/in reason. I just wanted to throw this out there for you. Hope you can get something else to ride while this all pans out. Let me know if things work out in a way where the sled is for sale.

Thanks!

A
Nov 4, 2008
Thats a rough one man. I heard about your accident on monday from Adam. I know first hand how easily something like this happens. Glad to hear no one was hurt and you have insurance on this one. -Jake from work.

Premium Features