• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can a 800 BB beat a 800 Turbo ?

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)
M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
my stock 800r beat a 800r aerocharged xp. lets just say he was having some fuel pressure and jetting issues though......and could only have it half throttle hhaha

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
haha. you know whats funny. once we did get the turbo xp somewhat dialed in so he was making good trackspeeds. around 70mph.( nothing to brag about but still deecent) the stock skid and 154 track just embarassed that thing. as soon as he hit the powder on a climb down went the *** end and he was stuck at the bottom of the hill. while my friends stock xp just kept going right up to the top.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I can't believe I'm responding to this. Almost everyone I have dealt with today has turned something into a pissing match and I'm wore out.

OT-- I thing the comparison was against a Cat pump gas turbo and not the 800R. To answer your question though it would be --Yes!! What are all the variables?? Every sled can be beat with a lesser sled if the variables for that day favor the lesser sled. I personally can't answer honestly because I have never seen a BB 800R sled. That I knew of anyway.

Dave

A certain someone seems to think his 800R BB can beat a 800R turbo. :eek:

OT

S
Jan 1, 2005
Cedar Rapids, Ia.
I can't believe I'm responding to this. Almost everyone I have dealt with today has turned something into a pissing match and I'm wore out.
Dave

I can relate to what your saying, don't let it get you. :beer; Rest, it's almost tomorrow already. :beer;
Turbo's gonna take it most of the time, its just gotta hook in order to prove it- that's the trick. Doesn't matter if it's a bike, truck, or a Sled.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
My 09 summitx 166 climbed right with a pump gas boondocker M8 162 all last year no problems. So yes I would think it would be possible for a properly set up bb to run with or beat a turbo.

O
Aug 17, 2009
You guys just crack me up.... I didn't know we were discussing poorly setup turbo's.

Here's some basic facts .....A good running 800 BB VS A good running 800 turbo. and the 800 turbo wins everytime. Cat, Poo or Doo it's NO CONTEST.

OT

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
You guys just crack me up.... I didn't know we were discussing poorly setup turbo's.

Here's some basic facts .....A good running 800 BB VS A good running 800 turbo. and the 800 turbo wins everytime. Cat, Poo or Doo it's NO CONTEST.

OT

maybe were on the wrong page here. but from what i understand and have seen. the big bores run and or beat the PUMP GAS turbos.

i dont think anyone is argueing with you that a race gas turbo sled is not even in the same ball park. its clear they will win.

O
Aug 17, 2009
You guys crack me up...I could "P" in the gas tank after a night of drinking and a good running 800 turbo will beat up on a good running 800 BB.

Here's alittle something to chew on while im gone.....A 800 BB kit with stock single pipe will yield approx 20 HP +/- @ sea level......Are you guy's trying to say that a 800 turbo only yields 20 hp +/- @ sea level ?

You mean to tell me that guy's are spending $5,000 plus on a turbo to only gain approx 20 HP ? You mean i could have turbo power buy just doing a little 60cc or 80cc overbore add a 14:1 head & reeds ? Come on tell me it ain't so !!!!!

I guess if the BB ran on race gas and the turbo ran on race gas the results would be the same ? Hmmmmm you guys crack me up

OT

Last edited:
T
Jun 17, 2008
you will always find some one who has a stocker who beat someones bb and someones bb will alwys find someones turbo that they beat , someones porting works or someones doesnt .and on it goes .

the field of snowmobiles has a ton of variables that allow bragging rights to many an under dog.if that makes ya feel good great.usually its just between buddies and some good natured kidding goes with it .

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
You guys crack me up...I could "P" in the gas tank after a night of drinking and a good running 800 turbo will beat up on a good running 800 BB.

Here's alittle something to chew on while im gone.....A 800 BB kit with stock single pipe will yield approx 20 HP +/- @ sea level......Are you guy's trying to say that a 800 turbo only yields 20 hp +/- @ sea level ?

You mean to tell me that guy's are spending $5,000 plus on a turbo to only gain approx 20 HP ? You mean i could have turbo power buy just doing a little 60cc or 80cc overbore add a 14:1 head & reeds ? Come on tell me it ain't so !!!!!

I guess if the BB ran on race gas and the turbo ran on race gas the results would be the same ? Hmmmmm you guys crack me up

OT

OT, You can doubt it all you like , but the proof is on the hill...

1st off, the pump gas Turbo 800 Cat kits need over 9PSI of boost to handle the 860R Big Bore at 9,000ft.. This has been proven more than once with WELL set Up turbos.. Like it or not.. this is the way it runs out on a 2-3ft FRESH powder day just climbing up at hill that you can not get to the top of... In a flat drag race, UPHILL, the BB wins everytime.. something about that turbo LAG... and getting a good hole shot..:confused::eek:

As for how much power one makes.. this is debatable.. At sea level the RKT 860R with reeds and ECM recurve will touch over 180HP. So, 30HP over stock.. Now, at elevation the delta between the 860R and the stock 800 is even more because of the higher compression we can run at elevation..(Much higher) Where at sea level, we are running near the same compression ratio as stock.

The Cat and Dragon, 800 class pump gas turbos. are also making the 30+HP at elevation . So the contest is very competitive..

Once the turbo 800cc Cats and Dragons, hit the 10PSI and higher boost levels.. they start beating up on the 860's . so, on race fuel and 10 PSI and higher boost levels.. it is no contest.. but you can not run 10PSI on straight pump gas for very long pulls.. short pulls , yes... long , fully load pulls.. difficult..

I also have an M7 with twins and an 800cc kit in it on 91 octane,,that can handle the pump gassers.. Same story as I detailed above..

So, like it or not, this is the reality (so far)... so, until you have actually compared, (like I have) there is no use speculating on the outcome.. Because reality ALWAYS reigns over theory...

Kelsey

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.

OT

Or maybe your just discussing poorly setup stocker and BB's. :cool:

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
OT, You can doubt it all you like , but the proof is on the hill...

1st off, the pump gas Turbo Cat kits need over 9PSI of boost to handle the 860R Big Bore at 9,000ft.. This has been proven more than once with WELL set Up turbos.. Like it or not.. this is the way it runs out on a 2-3ft FRESH powder day just climbing up at hill that you can not get to the top of... In a flat drag race, UPHILL, the BB wins everytime.. something about that turbo LAG... and getting a good hole shot..:confused::eek:

Once the turbo Cats and Dragons, hit the 10PSI and higher boost levels.. they start beating up on the 860's . so, on race fuel and 10 PSI and higher boost levels.. it is no contest.. but you can not run 10PSI on straight pump gas for very long pulls.. short pulls , yes... long , fully load pulls.. difficult..

Kelsey

...last year you said a a M1000 on 5 psi will build no boost becuase you read this somewhere and deemed is so...you got proved very wrong and got owned

ill turn my down my widdle M8 to 7psi and let the sled do the talking....im sure you will have a reasdy stack of flash cards with reasons you did not win...its all good, some people dont change

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
...last year you said a a M1000 on 5 psi will build no boost becuase you read this somewhere and deemed is so...you got proved very wrong and got owned

I do not remember ever saying such a thing, let alone writing it.. But if you can find where this happened.. I will take it back.. PLUS I am only talking about 800 Dragons and cats.. Nowhere did I mention the M1000

Let us prey...Dear Lord let this thread be productive like threads were a few years ago...amen!

Please Please Please Keep it somewhat clean!!!!!:

AND​

OT, i will ask nicely that you keep this thread on topic and avoid starting trouble

Funny, Ray, you beg for people to keep it on topic and clean with no personal insults,, YET, you are the 1st to start throwing the insults and getting off topic. ya, know, since you have some sort of bone to pick with me, why can't we settle this like ADULTS vs. you always coming after me with personal attacks ??
I am open to it,, why aren't you??
Truth is.. you THINK you know something that transpired when ,in fact, you really only have hear-say...

Again.. How about you and me talking and then you can see if your hatred is founded or unfounded... Sounds fair to me.. What have you got to lose??

I think this is much more civil than you always attacking me on the public forum, when I NEVER say anything negative about you or anybody else, for that matter...

Back on topic....

I do not think you have EVER seen MY 860 or MY M7 BB run against a PG turbo.. Since we have NEVER rode together, I believe this is a true statement.. So, how is it you can KNOW the outcome?

ill turn my down my widdle M8 to 7psi and let the sled do the talking....im sure you will have a reasdy stack of flash cards with reasons you did not win...its all good, some people dont change

This sounds like fun... We can surely compare when the snow hits.. No excuses from anyboody.. like you said.. just let the sleds do the talking..

Kelsey

Last edited:
Premium Features