• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying two sleds (new), need opinions

I
Nov 5, 2012
Thanks Don.

I am really thinking about either going with a fan cooled sled or maybe just going with the 2017 sub $7,000 Summit 600 carb. The 600 carb is supposed to be an extremely reliable engine and can burn regular unleaded. It would not be as clean as an ETEC or 4 stroke but is thousands of dollars cheaper.

Alternative might be a Renegade 600 carb because it would be more comfortable on trails but I have not found any of those in 2017 models. The 2018 are about $8200.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks Don.

I am really thinking about either going with a fan cooled sled or maybe just going with the 2017 sub $7,000 Summit 600 carb. The 600 carb is supposed to be an extremely reliable engine and can burn regular unleaded. It would not be as clean as an ETEC or 4 stroke but is thousands of dollars cheaper.

Alternative might be a Renegade 600 carb because it would be more comfortable on trails but I have not found any of those in 2017 models. The 2018 are about $8200.

Going from air cooled to internal cooling allows more horsepower but not longevity nor reliability. For better gas mileage ETEC , 4 stroke then air cooled I think SKIDOOS are a ride forward configuration. Go with the Renegade 600 if it is better on the trails ... seems youll be riding trails more?

BTW what size track are you thinking?

Last edited:

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Ok, what about a pair of 2017 or 2018 summit sport with the 600 carb engine putting out 100hp and a 146" track. They are around $8,000 each.

Perhaps a better option than the 550 Indy fan?

Carbed are fine from my experience with 500cc sleds. The skidoo 600 will pretty much get you anywhere depending on the track you have under you. The only downside is that carbs are gonna have to be rejetted depending on the altitude so if you are going to be going from riding at 9,000 feet in Idaho to riding at 2,000 feet in AK you will need to rejet.

Reactions: donbrown
I
Nov 5, 2012
Well we said *** the budget and went with two 2018 Expedition Sport 900 ACE.

Probably will remove the rear seat from one of them. With the rear seat removed the 900 ACE weighs about the same as the 600 ACE.

I expect to own these for at least 5 seasons and probably put 2500 to 3000 miles on them per season so the 4 stroke will probably end up being a good choice. We want to spend a year in the Great Lakes area too and try some ice fishing and frozen lake riding. Maybe a trip to Alaska as well.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Yeah two Vipers would be like $28,000 with tax.

Maybe a Indy 550 with 144" track for $7,000 each might be better after all.

It is just that there are no threads about them that I can find on here. Red flag or just that everyone goes 800cc liquid cooled?

Not at all. The 550 Polaris motor is largely unchanged that I know of and may be the longest running snowmobile engine around. Been offered since at least 1999.
Speaking of AK, they're like gold up there, most fan cooled sleds are. Smaller ones as well. There's a reason for that. They're used by many as primary transportation, so if they used more fuel and were less reliable they wouldn't be favored.

They're cheap and unpopular down here because sno machining is a sport or recreation and especially out west at high altitude they are seriously lacking in power and don't run near as well in warm weather conditions or large altitude changes like liquid cooled fuel injected machines.

That said, overall, a 550 Poo or Doo will probably be the most economical throughout the entire life cycle if you're not after performance. And a 144" paddle track will take you through plenty of powder. Have a 144/550 and a 136/380cc for my kids that I can rail through powder, just not enough snort or track to keep up with big sleds on big hills.
I'm a mountain rider, so you'd be hard pressed to convince me to even throw a leg over most 4 strokes unless I was wanting a big hp turbo sled for climbing.

My recommendation would be 600 liquid Doo etec or Polaris. Get a 144-150 track and a wide front end, Still go through powder and better trailer manners.

I
Nov 5, 2012
Well we ended up going with two Ski-doo expedition sports with 900 ACE engine (it is a four stroke liquid cooled by snow in the tunnel but it also has a fan cooled radiator which is pretty neat). They are 2up but you can remove the rear seat and use that space for carrying gear/fuel. 154" 16" wide track so should float fairly well.

Just got to wait for them to come in to the dealer....hope it doesn't snow yet!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I completely forgot about Ski-doo's ace motors. Good decision for the planned use.

Mountain Cat

Premium Features