• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Burning Alpine Sleds!!!

Yammy/AC

So... like everyone else I had to check out the new yammy. I think I'm dissapointed... I owned a cat as my first sled I ever bought. It was a great little 340 and I had a blast on it. After that I switched up to Polaris. Back then Polaris was on top of their game and the XLT was the sled of the year. I've owned Polaris ever since.

My Dad was a Doo guy and I still have a place in my heart for Doo. I have very good memories as a kid of my Dads Doo.

I bought a Yammy in 08... it wasn't my first Yammy... it was my first Yammy sled. I've owned Yammy, Honda and Suzuki dirt bikes over the years... never a Kawi... Maybe its the color green that bothers me. I don't know, Cat and Kawi just never did anything for me.

Time will tell if I decide to like or hate the new Yacmmy. I feel strange about it presently. I believe the true solution to tuning and flaming sleds is for the manufacturers to build factory turbo sleds. The fit and finish should be very good and consistent.

So is it good or bad??? Time will be the judge. People will tell the tale and we will have to wait until it shows up on the snow.

Happy trails!!! Untill next time....

Refresher!!!

Alpine Motorsports
Salmon Arm, BC

So here is the thing.... it seems there is an issue with Alpine Motorsports Turbo's out of Salmon Arm, BC. I know of more than one that has burned. Recently my Alpine sled caught fire. They have a fuel cell issue... as I have discovered... they are still using the same part in their new builds. I never knew this was a problem until this happened to me, but once it did, I discovered it has happened before. They claim there is no liability on their part and will offer no help.

Just a warning!!! Do not buy Alpine!!! I don't know who is better but good alternates may be "Impulse" or "Powderlites" turbo sleds.

Many of my family and friends have ridden my sled and unknowingly been at risk. The guy who was riding it caught fire. It burned his pants and backpack!!! LUCKY he got the pack off and the pants out!!!

The cap on the back of the tank came loose and fuel poured out onto the track and when he crested the hill and backed out of the throttle the exhaust ignited the fuel on the track. I do not see any CSA, ANSI or other ratings on this tank. Guessing it is not Canadian approved for motor vehicles. Working on finding out.

I feel very lucky the guys were on the ball and flipped the sled on its side and buried it in snow with shovels and a couple sleds pulled up beside it and roosted it with snow untill it was completely buried. The damage could have been way worse!!!

If you pay close attention, the front of the tunnel, tank and turbo area are free of soot and sign of fire. I don't have a pic here but the inside of the tunnel is completely black. The seat burnt completely. We flipped the seat up and there was the cap.... just sitting there!!! Good thing the seat had this area contained as it may have blown fuel all over the rider when it ignited and really caused harm to him!!!

If you have Alpine or want one, make sure your life insurance is paid in advance and your sled insurance is up to date!!!

If you have an Alpine that burned or know of one that has please add to this site. I contacted Julian on the 10th of April, 2012 and filled him in. I am adding this info so if anyone decides to pursue the legalities it is documented here on snowest for all to see. I will stand beside you in a court of law and testify. All you have to do is contact me and I will be glad to assist you!!! I don't normally take things to the extreme but this is an extreme case. These guys know there is an issue and have no intention of fixing it, they just want your money and that is where it ends!!!

FYI!!!

Gonna post some pics for your info!!!
<fieldset class="fieldset"> <legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend>

</fieldset>

Refresher!!!

So I am re-posting the last comment as a reminder. I'm not nearly as ticked as I was. Since the flamer, I have repaired it to better than it was when I bought it at Alpine. I also no longer have the permanent fuel smell coming from under the seat. The fuel system has been upgraded and the sled actually runs the way it is supposed to. I also no longer have to pack 2 spare fuel filters for the ever dissolving fuel tank particles plugging filters. The upgrades are long and numerous.

I will not dispute the fact Alpine builds a sled that perfoms very well when it runs and is not on fire however I have had the opportunity to ride a couple supercharged units and a quite a few MCX rides as of late. I am very impressed with the quality and tuning of these rides. I personally would go turbo for the simple fact the weight seems distributed better for me. Mountain sleds with turbo's work amazingly. Mountain riders don't ride on the low side of the RPM band where I believe the supercharger may out perform the turbo charged machine.

I guess we will have to see where the future for Yamaha lies with the new Yammy Cat... possibilities. I won't be changing up or looking for a new turbo kit for awhile yet. One thing I do know is there are a lot of great kit builders out there and Alpine is on the bottom of MY list.

Cheers!!!

Whew!!!

We just got back from 8 days of riding. The snow started very iffy.... rain...!!! It changed quickly and saved our trip. I didn't manage to ride every where I wanted but aside from the first day of rain, had good to great conditions and had a blast!!! We did an avy class just cause we could. Zac's does a great job and it is something everyone should do if mountains are your terrain. I am not sure if this is the last trip, we may manage another weekender but if this is it, I am glad to say it has been a great winter!!!

Jetboats are around the corner. The deep freeze is drifting towards sunshine and mosquitos. My bike will be dusted off soon and my boats untarped. Winter is my favorite season.... but so is spring, summer and fall... just happy to be living the dream!!!

Cheers.

:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Happy Easter!!!

Happy Easter every one!!!

Got a rip in here close to home. It was a hard crust on about 30 inches (waist deep) sugar snow. Later in the day it softened up a bit. It was difficult riding as you broke through the crust and your skiis were either under the crust or flipped up acting as plows. We had a couple stick jobs due to the conditions. Still it was a great day, it was blue skies and sunshine in the plus digits.... had to be good!!! The season is closing fast. April is here. The rivers are usually flowing by the third weekend so we are very close. I am actually looking forward to summer. Funny thing about the seasons... I am always ready for the next one when it comes. Welcome to Canada!!!

Anyway Just came to say Happy Easter!!!

Later....

Repaired pics

So I never did post any completed repaired pics. Here is how it looks after the repairs.

IMG_3598.jpg IMG_3599.jpg IMG_3600.jpg IMG_3602.jpg IMG_3604.jpg IMG_3605.jpg IMG_3609.jpg

Spring!!!

Aside from scattered fluries and some cooler days spring is finally showing its colors. The river should be flowing soon. I can hardly wait. It is almost jetboats, bikes and jeeps season again!!! I love the change in seasons. Sledding is one of my favorite pastimes but I like variety and so the season brings!!!

Wishing everyone an awesome summer!!!

Cheers!!!!

So I never did post any completed repaired pics. Here is how it looks after the repairs.

Nice sled.. i really hope you dont break a heim joint on your skinz front end or else we will have to go through 200+ more posts of you building another boat.. would you give this thread a rest!!!

Nice sled.. i really hope you dont break a heim joint on your skinz front end or else we will have to go through 200+ more posts of you building another boat.. would you give this thread a rest!!!

Nobody forces you to read through anything. If you don't like it, don't read it.

He obviously had some issues and feels like Alpine is to blame. He has fixed what he deemed necessary and shared it with anyone that wanted to see the outcome. Besides, nobody can say that little river boat isn't awesome and his sled turned out pretty nice too!

Dub

Nobody forces you to read through anything. If you don't like it, don't read it.

He obviously had some issues and feels like Alpine is to blame. He has fixed what he deemed necessary and shared it with anyone that wanted to see the outcome. Besides, nobody can say that little river boat isn't awesome and his sled turned out pretty nice too!

Dub

No doubt that it is a nice boat and i already stated nice sled. Just not the place or internet site for river boats and find its pretty pathetic to cut down a single company. Everyone knows turbo sleds are high maintence, He even stated (I also no longer have the permanent fuel smell coming from under the seat). Deal with the fuel smell dont drive until it burns then point fingers.

Last edited:
Cool

No doubt that it is a nice boat and i already stated nice sled. Just not the place or internet site for river boats and find its pretty pathetic to cut down a single company. Everyone knows turbo sleds are high maintence, He even stated (I also no longer have the permanent fuel smell coming from under the seat). Deal with the fuel smell dont drive until it burns then point fingers.

Thats cool. Thanks for the comment. Everyone has their opinion, keep them coming.

I've covered mine through my thread.

yep...we like..

ya got it so ya flaunt it...and I sure don't blame ya...

if you was a female this site would be rated a **** site...lol..

With how much you bad mouthed Alpine , I would of thought you would of took off the gas rack and tunnel supports with there name on it !!:face-icon-small-con

NIce repair job , nice looking sled

Could have...

With how much you bad mouthed Alpine , I would of thought you would of took off the gas rack and tunnel supports with there name on it !!:face-icon-small-con

NIce repair job , nice looking sled

Thanks.

Honestly, I could have taken the stuff off of the sled. I could have put stickers and all kinds of graffiti bad mouthing ALPINE for all to see. I could have filed a lawsuit. Many things I could have done. This was never about hating the product. Honestly... I love my sled. I think Alpine did a great job and I have mentioned it over and over.

My only real problem was the conversation I had with Julian... and the gas tank. I never asked for anything, I asked his input only. If the shoe was on the other foot I am not 100% sure what I would have done. Personally I am sure I would have had a serious discussion and probably asked the question "What can we do to fix this and keep everyone happy?". The only offer I got was a seat at the cost of $650. This is supposedly his cost. I know the gentleman who fabs the seat personally and have purchased seats before and this is no deal.

I am sure that due to the tank issues over the years he has probably not committed to any fault as this may open a door to a potential lawsuit. Frankly, I would have settled for the parts at cost... not the cost he quoted me for a seat. I may have re-assembled the sled with Alpine parts. I probably would have sold the sled after the fact.

It matters not what could have happened. Whats done is done. I am not taking the bling off the sled. It looks sweet, and anyone who knows Yammy Turbo Sleds know the parts and where they came from. CR racing is the manufacturer of the tunnel, M-10 re-enforced side panels with the ALPINE logo and the gas rack with ALPINE logo, Chad is a great guy!!!. I guess Julian's relatives are doing tunnels and such now. The hood is Mountain Mod... another AWESOME GUY!!! The seat and front end are SKINZ. I am running Neils BOOST IT fuel system and MSD fuel pump. I can list the parts and the people but the list gets very long and unnessecary. ALPINE did the install and the turbo kit.

They did a sweet job. They are no different than the industry I am in. I own a CNC brake and CNC cutting table along with over 3000 sq ft of other shop equipment. Service is key to this equipment. The longer I operate it the more I learn and the less I need service but if something fails and shuts my table or brake down and I can't fix it, I need service!!! If there is no service, I loose thousands every day and my customers are unhappy because I can't give them the service they deserve.

SERVICE!!! That is why I posted this thread. When I hit 20,000 page hits I will stop. I made the 20,000 hit goal and that is when I will stop posting. I have gotten over ALPINE. There are so many other awesome kits available that work as good or better than Alpine, it is of no consequense to BAD-MOUTH them. Alpine is there and they have their following. Works for me. In the meantime, I will post to reach 20,000 and tell the people who come here MY STORY!!!

Thanks for everyones comments and posts!!! I do appreciate your comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and to agree or not to agree. Feel free to leave more but lets keep it clean. Happy Trails and a great summer!!!

Last edited:
what is all this talk about turbo's and sleds etc...I thought this thread was about your boat....lets stick to the subject......

hahahahaha

Premium Features

Back