• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best mileage tow vehicle

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
Kind of wondering the same thing? Seems like someones sucking up a little to much black smoke. Unless your pulling a heavy load stay away from diesels they cost way to much. 17 liter oil changes, heavy trucks= poor mileage period. All i'm seeing is someone trying to justify the old dodge chevy ford BS.
Unless you compare identical trucks it's all BS. if you like dodge that's real nice. I'm still not buying one.

You definitely don't need a full size truck to pull a 2 place trailer, that's for sure. try a test drive with the set up you want to tow and try a few test drives and see what tows the best and then make a decision.

A 26 ft trailer is a different story, and diesel trucks start to make sense, but you have to weed out the brand loyal BS.

U
Jan 10, 2008
You should look into a Mack, Freightliner or maybe a Peterbuilt. Anything less you'll just be wasting your time.

The freekin guy just needs a good V6.

Create your own thread.

"How to make myself fell good about wasting money on a diesel"!!!!!!!!!

D
Jan 3, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
got an 05 chevy tahoe 5.3, K&N filter, cut the screen on the mass air flow sensor, and a flowmaster. Went from 17 on the highway to what you see below.
19 to 20 mpg running the mountains
20 to 22 mpg on the flats
16 to 18 mpg around town

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
you should look into a mack, freightliner or maybe a peterbuilt. Anything less you'll just be wasting your time.

The freekin guy just needs a good v6.

Create your own thread.

"how to make myself fell good about wasting money on a diesel"!!!!!!!!!

yeah now we're talking, with that thread all those cummins clowns who try to justify there choice have somewhere to shout it out. Please give us a break.

S
Dec 1, 2007
BC
are you talking about a mechanical 12V? or an electronic 12V?

89-93 were the bosch VE rotory IP and 94-early 98 were the bosch P7100 inline pump. both all mechanical, mid '98 the ISB 24v came out with the VP44 electric pump. 12v = mechanical 24v = electric. and of course 03+ common rail bosch CP3 blah blah blah

T

tbeaton

May 28, 2008
MA
go buy a smart car or a prius if you want good mpg. subaru's get like 30mpg, how much better do you want than that? lets face it, a good tow rig is not going to get good mpg's.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Dayton Wyoming
Not to be a smart azz, but I guess I have to be... I get the best mileage when I just ride in someone else’s truck!

I used to have a two place aluminum trailer. I pulled with a light half ton Dodge with a 318. The truck pulled ok. I still got crapy fuel mileage with the Dodge. A buddy’s Tahoe did a lot better. I got about 8 he got 17.

Premium Features