• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best mileage tow vehicle

S
Nov 21, 2007
manitoba
Do a search for used VWs. Why is everyone selling them at around 65k - 85k miles?
Put it this way....most of them are not getting another VW. They can't wait to unload.

Because they fall apart and the owners are getting tired of getting nickel and dimed to death to keep their options, interior, features and chassis together.

BS. at 65k-85k you need to replace a timing belt.

i had a jetta td with 600000+ on it and just sold it and bought a truck. the car is still running and the guy that bought it uses as his daily driver and drives 100 miles a day with it.

fall apart? they last longer then jap crap, and are cheaper and last longer then domestics. plus they can tow a lot more then there rated for.

wait 1-2 years and vw will have a awd tdi in the tiguan suv.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
That is BS, I am on number 3. I had a 2000 2.0 that I got rid of because I got a limited Edition GTI (1 of 1500) with 1.8t. I got rid of that for my current TDI because I drive about 30k miles a year.

Many people are getting rid of them because they are like every other owner. They want a new car. People in the US do not keep cars for long.

The argument about being safer in a truck is also BS. In a truck you are something like 10 times more likely to roll over. Trucks across the board have worse crash ratings than cars do. Sure they are heavier but that energy has to go somewhere. You increase your chances of getting in an accident by driving a larger less nimble vehicle. If you hit a semi in a car you are dead, and if you hit one in a truck you are probably dead as well.

Wrong. In a pickup hitting a semi head on at 60 MPH, you got a decent chance to survive actually, seen a few pics of one crash the guy was in bad shape but survived, if he was in a car wouldn't of had a chance. My dad was hit in the side by a semi at 40 MPH in a truck, truck took the blow fine and walked away from it, in a car again wouldn't have a CHANCE. I can tell you right now, my truck hitting a semi at 60 MPH I would feel pretty safe in my truck protecting me, 1/4" plate bumper is thicker then most semi bumpers, not to mention height difference is HUGE in head on. In a car head on at 60 MPH the semi would run it over and no one would have a chance. I will take my truck ANYDAY over a car on the highway.

Crash ratings aren't worth the paper they are printed on. You can have all the airbags you want but it doesn't do you much good if the vehicle hitting you runs over you.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Crash ratings are just that... you have to have a baseline.
Look at this:
http://bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150/

What vehicle would you rather be in?
mini_vs_f150.jpg

Hitting anything at 60+ MPH head on severly limits your chances of living. Deceleration will kill you. Your seat belt might hold you in the car, but your organs are still bouncing off the walls of your body. That impact is enough to stop your heart on the spot.

Statistically you are more likely to be involved in an accident with a larger vehicle.

Back to the topic...

The ORIGINAL POSTER is asking what is a good tow vehicle with good mileage. He doesn't want a large truck. He doesn't have 3 buddies to split fuel.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Do a search for used VWs. Why is everyone selling them at around 65k - 85k miles?
Put it this way....most of them are not getting another VW. They can't wait to unload.

Because they fall apart and the owners are getting tired of getting nickel and dimed to death to keep their options, interior, features and chassis together.
Agreed, they fall apart quickly and it's PRICEY stuff to fix out of warranty.

Whenever we get a used VW on trade, we usually wholesale it ASAP because they are one of the only vehicles that breaks down while it sits on the lot. When we call VW dealers for wholesale value, they are scared of it if they have anything more than 70,000 --> 100,000kms (out of warranty)

Premium Features