• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best mileage tow vehicle

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I guess it's time to pull out the pic of Dukie and his Subaru Justy hooked up to the Doo.

W
Jan 2, 2008
It's funny how everyone is so rah rah on the big trucks. Trucks suck in the snow-there's no weight over the rear wheels. I drive a 4x4 full length van(sportsmobile) that handles great in the snow and is comfortable to camp and hang out in, but it is a bit overkill for lots of the close to home riding. So the original question still stands- what are the high MPG tow rigs for a light trailer? Heck I could just take one sled most of the time to be able to use a small car. If it gets stuck I'll just pull it out with the turbo sled:D. Think about spring riding, you don't even need 4wd most of the time

SO IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT YOUR FULL SIZE TRUCK, START YOUR OWN THREAD!!!!!

spring riding is the biggest reason I need a 4x4 truck with high ground clearence

sure must be different where we all ride lol

4x4 vans are top heavy, we see them flopped over on their sides all the time

A
Dec 2, 2007
Mammoth Lakes
In the Sierra the roads are great in the spring.

Personally I haven't seen any 4x4 vans on their sides, but they work great in the snow. I was trying to make the point that I already own a large tow vehicle and I don't need a big truck that also gets bad MPG to replace it.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
been there done that got the tshirt... $70 in fuel was what it cost me... but it was a va-jetta and not a passat. $35 if i were to split costs, but this discussion wasnt about carpooling was it? :confused:

I went from the Oregon coast to West yellowstone pulling two 'doos (see photo), 4 people in the car, rear of the car was full to the ceiling, rooftop carrier was full of snowgear, and STILL got 26.5mpg.....Climbed Cabbage Patch hill (I-84) at 70mph in the far left lane. 276 ft/lbs of torque.....will soon morph into 320 ft/lbs. Diesel.....gotta love it.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
There isn't a vehicle made that will haul sleds worth a sh!t that gets 30 mpg.
In fact there isn't a vehicle made that gets 30 mpg that could replace any pickup.

You wouldn't want to bet on that, would you??? 85mph across Idaho was a snore. Took her up to 100 just to see if it would, and still felt like it had more. We ride with a pal who has a 1/2 ton Dodge 2WD. He pulls one sled on a Costco trailer. We always have to wait for him on the other side of the hills because he can't climb like we can.

That being said, we ended up buying a used Dodge/Cummins MegaCab 4X4, so the old VW gets a break. We'll pull our friends' 28 foot enclosed with 4 sleds and split fuel costs. I pulled this trailer empty from LaPine to the coast and got 16.8mpg, so 15 loaded isn't too big of a stretch......Split it two ways, thats like getting 30mpg.

M

mngoat

Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
05 jeep liberty diesel,4x4, 26MPG with two sleds behind,two guys and gear at 70-72mph. Never drops out of overdrive on the passes. Love it, esp. since i did the inmotion tune to it.

Reactions: ruffryder
J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
Checked out the 2009 TDI. Could be a good rig. To bad they don't make an AWD. How is yours in the snow? How often do you have to put chains on it?

2009 Jetta SportWagon will have the new 2.0L TDI @235 ft/lbs.....should pull just fine. It's rumored to get nearly 50mpg HWY empty, so double score for the commuter car.

I have only put on chains ONCE, and that was because there was a cop sitting at the chain-up area ($140 fine if we didn't throw iron). Ours goes through the snow quite well.....We've been in snow deep enough to drag the underside of the car without any problems. Like someone already mentioned, quality studless snows are extremely helpful. I bought the steel wheels from VW ($61 each) but my wife insisted on the hubcaps ($40 each??) If you get the alloy 17s, there isn't enough room for chains.....Get the snows and wheels in 15 or 16.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Checked out the 2009 TDI. Could be a good rig. To bad they don't make an AWD. How is yours in the snow? How often do you have to put chains on it?

With good snows I don't think you HAVE to get AWD. Like I mentioned earlier I have a 2005 Golf and it does great in the snow. I drive to Vail from Fort Collins and back EVERY weekend. My TDI is rated at 100 HP and 175 ft-lbs of torque. I haven't touched it yet but I have been really tempted to chip it which will push me to about 145-150 HP and 285 ft-lbs of torque. Not bad for a car that weighs right at 3k lbs.

I drove the new TDI and it has tons of power. I can only imagine what chipping it would do. I would guess 200 HP 375 ft-lbs of torque.

If you want one you better put some money down now, they won't last long.

VW doesn't offer AWD because it would kill the gas sales if they did. If you want AWD you need to get the loaded 3.6 liter gasser.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I would never drive a car to were I ride, it would be high centered in about 5 feet. Not to mention if a truck with 35" MT got stuck in the staging area, I wouldn't want to see a car try and go threw it. Also like said safety factor, i'd much rather have a deck with 2 sleds and pull a 3 place and feel safe in my truck then using a car, which probably wouldn't even save on fuel money when a truck can haul 5 people and all their gear. As far as speed, the only thing that keeps me from going 100 MPH towing is the fear of loosing a bearing in the trailer, my diesel doesn't move off cruise control towing sleds over any hills, because it's not even working. If you really care about fuel economy why don't you strap your sled to the bus?! I hear it's real cheap :D

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Do a search for used VWs. Why is everyone selling them at around 65k - 85k miles?
Put it this way....most of them are not getting another VW. They can't wait to unload.

Because they fall apart and the owners are getting tired of getting nickel and dimed to death to keep their options, interior, features and chassis together.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Do a search for used VWs. Why is everyone selling them at around 65k - 85k miles?
Put it this way....most of them are not getting another VW. They can't wait to unload.

Because they fall apart and the owners are getting tired of getting nickel and dimed to death to keep their options, interior, features and chassis together.

That is BS, I am on number 3. I had a 2000 2.0 that I got rid of because I got a limited Edition GTI (1 of 1500) with 1.8t. I got rid of that for my current TDI because I drive about 30k miles a year.

Many people are getting rid of them because they are like every other owner. They want a new car. People in the US do not keep cars for long.

The argument about being safer in a truck is also BS. In a truck you are something like 10 times more likely to roll over. Trucks across the board have worse crash ratings than cars do. Sure they are heavier but that energy has to go somewhere. You increase your chances of getting in an accident by driving a larger less nimble vehicle. If you hit a semi in a car you are dead, and if you hit one in a truck you are probably dead as well.

A
Dec 2, 2007
Mammoth Lakes
The justifications for the big truck are pretty funny.

1 much safer
2 much cheaper on fuel when you can get your friends to chip in.
3 I can only drive there with a big truck with big tires:)

Premium Features