• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best mileage tow vehicle

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
My durmax sucks mileage-wise for tolling esp compared to a cummins... but i useally forget that dodges have bigger tanks.

I never do think about the varibles when i drive... like my heavy foot and lift/tires

T
Nov 27, 2007
Los Alamos, NM
If you're going to tow an open trailer, it depends upon how ballsy you are. You "could" pull it with a Jetta TDI diesel (2Klbs towing capactity). You would probably net 30mpg with it. You'll need chains or at the very minimum, good snow tires for the passes.

We have a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) 4x4. It's a frickin' little mule and it would tow it no problem. Unloaded I can get 32 mpg (real numbers, no bs computer). Towing a two place I bet it would go down to low 20ish. I will be pulling a one place enclosed with this setup this year. Due to it's short wheelbase, it's tow capacity is 5Klbs but I wouldn't want to tow that much with the wind whipping across a snowy pass.

How about a sled deck on the back of your truck? Wouldn't the mileage be ok with that setup?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
If you don't want something big, but still want 4wd/AWD, some towing capacity, good interior space, etc,etc.....how about a Toyota Rav4 V6 4wd?

Rated in the mid-30 mpg range on the highway, 3500lb towing capacity, 270hp, 5spd auto.....hauls *** empty and easily has enough grunt for, say, a 2-place open if that's what you're thinking. Awesome traction control/skid control systems for the winter, locking center diff. Really fun to drive around town and a HUGE truck with flat folding seats.

Depends a little on what a "lightweight" trailer is....but those who think you will "save" money by owning a diesel 1-ton to occassionally tow a couple sleds on a open trailer are on heroin....

T
Dec 14, 2007
Alamosa, CO
It's a truck but not a big one. We tow with a Chevy Colorado with a K&N cold air intake and a Flowmaster dual exhaust sytem. Towing two sleds on an open trailer it gets in the low 20s. Not too bad for a smaller truck. Gets almost 30 empty. Works ok for us since we never take more than 2 of our 4 sleds at a time. Just my 2 cents

I have a 03 CC Dually Duramax (full banks) and my computer says 15.4 MPG.
I drive alot of stop and go traffic, a little lead footed since the dam truck is faster than most cars!!!! Nothing like leaving those little rice burners in black cloud of smoke!!!! I dont try to get the best milage by any means.

BUT.....
My buddies older Cummins (late 90's) does better than any of all the trucks I have seen....he put in just the controller (edge I thinK) and full 5" or 6" exchaust(its freakin HUGE!! with an K&N intake....he get killer milage out of that thing!!!!!

I can find out excactly year milage ect if you want to know his truck does great on milage and packs plenty of torque to tow what ever

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The only problem with the smaller domestic trucks is the hideous resale and the general being a bit of a POS thing....at least with a smaller Toyota they're always an easy sell on the used market, plus a better unit to drive in the meatime.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
^^^^^

Phatty, I've got an 06 and it runs great! I was wondering how if it would haul a sled ok. Do you run chains/snowtires?

studded snowtires for sure unless they salt your roads like crazy, and i would recommend at least carrying chains!

Pulls great, though i am still nervous to try a 2 place i think i might this next year!

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
I got a POS ford 4x4 4.2L V6, get 6km/L towing my alumminum Trailer, 2 sleds, and 2 guys. You can buy them for aroun $4000.00 (Where diesel is way more, even old used diesels are crazy expensive) and as long as you got good tires you are good to go. I travel around 100 KM/HR (if i got any faster the wind resistance will effecty my fuel economy) but it gets me where i want to go.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Trebek:
This car gets 45 mpg at 85mph on the freeway.
It will also pull 1 motorbike at 37 mpg and 1 sled at 35 mpg. Or 3 motorbikes at 32 mpg.

Sean Connery:
What is a Va-Jetta? Also known as VW Jetta TDI.
http://my.opera.com/phatty2/albums/show.dml?id=373171

Trebek:
Correct

Hands down best tow vehicle!!!

hahaha...I heard you couldnt get down the street more than a 100' with that rig a couple years back.:D LOl...

I always thought about trying a two place behind mine but I might have to chip it to get her up to 120HP.:face-icon-small-win

R
Aug 12, 2008
Any vehicle with a CNG conversion kit will get sweet mpg's..

I read an article about a guy that has a 06 Duramax highly modded with a CNG kit that get 38 mpgs with #2 only.

Otherwise VW makes a jetta diesel that gets 45 mpg's

CNG= compressed natural gas

btw, my 06 Cummins gets 22mpg's hand calculated and my wife's GP gets 25 mpg's but the cummins is WAY more fun to drive.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
While weather or not the bodies are better or the cabs are nicer on the ford and chevys, or the seat is better and so on. One thing is not disputeable.... the mileage of a gen 3 cummins is bar none the best. I've owned or been around them all. cummins with a 6 speed manual tranny is the winner. especially towing. anywhere form 10-50% better than my brothers duramax, and at one time 100% better than my buddies 6.4 ford........... he got 7 pulling horses last month..........i got 14 :D 64k on the clock and she gets better mpg every 5k it seems.......... I got 550 miles out of this last tank towing a gooseneck flatbed...........simply awesome.....

now if we could just get the price of go juice back down........:(

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
The mid 16's I posted were real numbers averaged over two thousands miles. Not according to the over-head. I agree with whitefish. I have seriously wanted to trade, but everyone I have talked to stated the 07 and newer with the 6.7 cummings are geting 5 to 8 miles less per gallon. I have also been told the 07's made with the 5.9 are getting great milage. Even better then the 03's.

S
Dec 1, 2007
BC
my 03 duramax empty, all stop and go in town driving i'm getting 16.5-17mpg not even trying, more tying to soot out the rice burners. highway i've broke 26 empty and with 4 place open sled trailer about 16-17 depending on how much of a hurry i'm in to go sledding. anyone else break loose pulling 9k?

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
hahaha...I heard you couldnt get down the street more than a 100' with that rig a couple years back.:D LOl...

I always thought about trying a two place behind mine but I might have to chip it to get her up to 120HP.:face-icon-small-win

yes i have mine chipped! i would do an intake too if i could find one for it! car is a rocket with the BD chip

and yes never try to tow through more than 8" of snow on unplowed roads... LMAO... out of control!!!

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
short verson: cummins, and if you go older, try to go with manual tranny, or plan on having the tranny upgraded.

Long version: see below:

I had a 96 cummins A/T, with 220K miles, ~20 MPG using odometer and fuel pump, then graduated to a 99 cummins A/T, with little edge box, ~23 MPG, and more balls than you need. Went to a Duramax/ Allison for larger cab size and from day one, wish I never sold the 99 cummins. that Duramax is a gutless wonder. The first time i towed an empty trailer with it, I thought the trailer brakes were stuck! I had to put an $800 edge/Attitude in it just to get it to keep up with the Cummins I had, then, dial it down to milage setting to maybe get 18. Finally got fed up with it, went back to 2006 Cummins, A/T, (mega cab) very happy, 25 highway stock, 20 in stop and go Seattle Traffic. 18 loaded with sled deck, 2 sleds, while driving up 2-lane winding mountain roads, driving it like I stole it. (the GMC was lucky to get 10 in same situation) Its your money, but for mine, I won't leave cummins again.

At the shop I used to work for, we would draw straws to see who had to work on the Ford products. The owner always hated the dodge products, and loved GM. When I started my quest for a diesel truck, I ended up with that 96 dodge, and what a great truck. I dont consider myself brand loyal, but I am product oriented. Produce a superior product, and I'll buy it. I think the half-ton chevy gassers are great, but for some reason, they couldn't get it right with the Duramax. The Allision is awesome, wish I had it behind the cummins. Also, that 3/4 ton diesel did really poorly in the mud and snow. (I've been in it plenty to know when it's the truck, and when it's not)

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more.

Last edited:
A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
If i remember right, i think i get somewhere around 10-12 mpg towing a two-place..

gotta check it out again... i have the paper around here someplace

oh ya, 89 cherokee 4L

Premium Features